Fixed list of rpy / py files to parse

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
LegsWild

Fixed list of rpy / py files to parse

#1 Post by LegsWild »

A short background:
I've made a game with some kind of lock-code. It's pretty easy to work-around this code by writing a .rpy file, put it in the game directory and overload the checker function.

So my idea would be, when the distribution starts, there should be a .txt file containing all valid importable files. These files would also have an md5 combined with an internal code.
The parser then has to check if a file is listed and valid. It'd be some overhead for the startup and it wouldn't be 100% secure but it would make the overloading much harder.

Ideas on this? Or maybe something like this exists already?

Thanks so far.

m_from_space
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Fixed list of rpy / py files to parse

#2 Post by m_from_space »

LegsWild wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:09 am A short background:
I've made a game with some kind of lock-code. It's pretty easy to work-around this code by writing a .rpy file, put it in the game directory and overload the checker function.

So my idea would be, when the distribution starts, there should be a .txt file containing all valid importable files. These files would also have an md5 combined with an internal code.
The parser then has to check if a file is listed and valid. It'd be some overhead for the startup and it wouldn't be 100% secure but it would make the overloading much harder.

Ideas on this? Or maybe something like this exists already?

Thanks so far.
What exactly is your goal here? People not being able to mod your game or being unable to get data out of it, like images? Because hacker's gonna hack and you don't even wanna try protecting it.