JEdit

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

JEdit

#1 Post by PyTom »

Now that I have a new mac, I feel compelled to bring Ren'Py's mac support up to the same level as some of the other platforms. One area where Ren'Py has been sorely lacking is text editor support on the mac, since SciTE only runs on Windows and Linux/Unix.

I'm strongly considering switching over to JEdit for all three platforms. This is a Java application, so it will mean that Java 1.5 or higher will have to be installed on the system. It won't be required to run games, but will be required to open script files in the default text editor that ships with Ren'Py.

The big downside is that some of the keybindings will have changed, which means people will have to relearn them. One big upside is that there's a spell-checking plugin for JEdit, so you'll be able to spell-check your game.

Anyway, like all new development, here's a screenshot:
Picture 2.png
I will be making the old (SciTE) editor available as a download, at least for a while, for people who don't want to change. That being said, I would like peoples' feedback as to if they think this is a reasonable idea. I'd also like to know what version of Java people have installed by default. You can find out by going to the start menu, picking run, typing in "cmd", hitting ok, and then entering in "java -version" at the command prompt.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Mikan
Veteran

Re: JEdit

#2 Post by Mikan »

:s Java?

I haven't heard anything good about any Java-based programs.
I hope it turns out to be an okay editor...

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by N0UGHTS »

I haven't heard anything about Java programs. :laughs:

The spellcheck feature sounds nice... And I'm young. So yeah, still versatile. I think I can adapt pretty well. :feels pity for those over age twenty-five:

The only issues I have with JEdit are that I don't know if it has any bugs, don't know how well it'll run on a (relative's shoddy) Vista laptop, and, the biggest issue: Looks like I have to scroll right and left. Dangit... Oh, and that shade of purple? Absolutely hideous! If you ask me, that line should've been the color of those blue scrollbars. And it's obvious that shade of blue goes better with grey than that purple does.

Java build 1.6.0_07-b06...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Showsni »

Mine says "1.6.0_03" when I do that.
Java (TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_03-b05)

Dusty
Regular

#5 Post by Dusty »

'java version "1.6.0_07"' or 'java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_07-b06)'

Weaklings, I always code in Notepad! There are "keybindings" in the current editor? What are those, and what are they used for?

sciencewarrior
Veteran
Projects: Valentine Square (writer) Spiral Destiny (programmer)

#6 Post by sciencewarrior »

JEdit has been around for a century in Internet years. It's pretty solid and has lots of nifty plugins. Besides the aforementioned added requirement, the only downside I see is that it is a bit slower on startup.

EDIT: Java 1.6.0_05 on both machines.
Last edited by sciencewarrior on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep your script in your Dropbox folder.
It allows you to share files with your team, keeps backups of previous versions, and is ridiculously easy to use.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by N0UGHTS »

Hmmm... Does JEdit support Commonwealth English? I don't want to be corrected on "omelette"...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

Jake
Support Hero

#8 Post by Jake »

N0UGHTS wrote: Oh, and that shade of purple? Absolutely hideous! If you ask me, that line should've been the color of those blue scrollbars. And it's obvious that shade of blue goes better with grey than that purple does.
The blue scrollbars are OSX standard-issue; I expect the purple was probably chosen to fit in with whatever ghastly KDE theme the lead developer uses. :3
N0UGHTS wrote:Hmmm... Does JEdit support Commonwealth English? I don't want to be corrected on "omelette"...
Their website says they use ASpell. I'm fairly sure I've heard of an English dictionary for ASpell, which is close enough to Commonwealth English for a Canadian or Kiwi to probably not notice the difference; certainly we spell 'omelette' correctly over here. The default will undoubtedly be AmEng, though...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Wintermoon »

I never used SciTE and I won't use JEdit. gvim über alles! (I don't suppose you could offer gvim integration as a user-selectable option?)

I do have Java 1.6.0_06 installed FWIW.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

Wintermoon wrote:I never used SciTE and I won't use JEdit. gvim über alles! (I don't suppose you could offer gvim integration as a user-selectable option?)
Yes. See the documentation for config.editor, which describes how to set up your own editor. Ren'Py reads the default value for config.editor out of the RENPY_EDITOR environment variable.

For those of you who want to try out the new editor today, you can grab one of the attached file. The first file is a 7zip self-extracting file, so if you are on Windows (or on Linux and Mac and have 7zip), please grab that one. 7zip can shave 3.5 megs off the current Ren'Py distribution, so I'm planning on offering it as an option for the bandwidth-impaired.
Attachments

[The extension exe has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

jedit.zip
Zip. Old and boring.
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 65 times
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

denzil
Veteran

#11 Post by denzil »

I think that jedit is a nice editor. The only think I didn't like was the way it's handling multiple files. I think it's confusing. There's a BufferTabs plugin that replaces it with tabs (and thus makes it much cleaner IMO), so it would be nice to have installed it by default.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Wintermoon »

PyTom wrote:Yes. See the documentation for config.editor, which describes how to set up your own editor. Ren'Py reads the default value for config.editor out of the RENPY_EDITOR environment variable.
config.editor/RENPY_EDITOR works, of course, but setting a correct command line with all three command-line substitutions (only two of which are mentioned in the documentation) is fiddly work. Example command lines for common editors in config.py would be an improvement. A menu for selecting an editor from within the launcher would be even better.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#13 Post by jack_norton »

Spell check is cool, another cool thing would be code completion or syntax checking.
Downloaded it, going to try. If the new keybinding means F5 to run the game for me is better since I'm used to VC keys 8)
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#14 Post by delta »

jEdit is one of the more powerful editors around, and it can do nearly anything with a bit of tinkering, so I applaud this move. The only thing is that it's a bit of a resource hog and slow, but it's still a text editor, so neither is really problematic. For the comparatively slow startup time, the best workaround is to just not close it.

And 99% of people really serious about text editors will use something else anyway, regardless of what you recommend.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Adorya »

Will it be able to do a spellcheck in the code like comma forgotten and such? :mrgreen: