Need some assistance.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Vamides
Regular

Need some assistance.

#1 Post by Vamides »

Hello there, I'm Vamides, 18 years old. Some years ago I wrote a small novel and recently decided turning it into a Visual Novel. I have a basic understanding of Ren'Py 6.6.3, it works pretty well and is highly customizable.

But, I have some questions.

1. I want some slow image transitions (I hope you understand what I mean) in the intro of my game, but "with fade" change backgrounds too quickly... and that doesn't help me.

2. There is a way of pausing what is going on? For example, show a background... wait three seconds... and change the background to another one? I've tried "with pause(3.0)" like someone mentioned around here... but crashes my game and decided to remove it.

Any help is appreciated.

Mikan
Veteran

Re: Need some assistance.

#2 Post by Mikan »

You can define your own slower dissolve this way:

Code: Select all

$ slowDissolve = Dissolve(3.00) 
(this is for a 3 second transition)

with pause is with a capital P

show imagename with Pause(1)
(pauses for a second)

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Showsni »

If you want a longer fade or dissolve, just try defining them with longer times - so

init:
    $ fade2 = Fade(1.5, 0, 1.5) # Fade to black and back.

scene bg washington with fade2

init:
    $ dissolve2 = Dissolve(5)

scene bg whitehouse
show eileen happy
with dissolve2
or whatever. (I think that should work).

Pause shouldn't crash your game... Did you capitalise it?

show bg cathedral
with dissolve
with Pause(2)

Vamides
Regular

#4 Post by Vamides »

That fixes it, thank you very much.

Seems like even capitals make the difference.

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by N0UGHTS »

Writing in Python is like writing an essay where you have to abide by specific "grammar" rules (whitespace, capitals, blocks are comparable to paragraphs focusing on a specific subject, etc.). In Ren'Py, it's more like writing a screenplay, though.

By the way, welcome to the community.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

Jake
Support Hero

#6 Post by Jake »

N0UGHTS wrote:Writing in Python is like writing an essay where you have to abide by specific "grammar" rules (whitespace, capitals, blocks are comparable to paragraphs focusing on a specific subject, etc.).
It's more like writing English for a foreigner who only has a phrasebook to make sense of what you're saying.

With an essay, the person marking your essay can still make sense of it even if you don't have capitals in the right place or use totally correct grammar, because they're an intelligent system capable of making reasonable guesses as to what you mean; you'll get marked down for getting it wrong, but if you make a really good point in a sentence without a capital leading letter, you'll still get the marks for that sentence, even if the grammar isn't perfect.

The compiler doesn't understand the words you use at all, it's just looking for specific words it recognises; it happens that it recognises 'True' but not 'true', for example. If our foreigner is from a country with a different character set (Russia, Greece, any Arabic-speaking country, Israel, etc.) then he won't know that 't' is the same letter as 'T', he can't say that those two words are necessarily the same. He can only flick through his phrasebook to try and find out what you mean, and his phrasebook only lists "True". Consider the vast difference between the different conjugations of 'to be' - there's no way someone could make an educated guess that "is", "are", "be" and "was" were all forms of the same verb if all they had to go on was a phrasebook that had "I am hungry" in it, and that's how the compiler sees your code.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#7 Post by delta »

Or more to the point, Ren'Py is not a natural language, it is a programming language that somewhat poses as a natural language. This is something I personally dislike about it. Not scaring newbies with obfuscated Perl is all fine and dandy, but in the end of the day Ren'Py's syntax is just as strict as that, and you have to learn and use it 100% correctly just like any other programming language - and the "natural" look isn't helping anymore after ten minutes of reading that you have to do anyway. Making it look like it's as easy as just telling the interpreter what you want and it does the rest is highly misleading (enjoy your four AND EXACTLY FOUR spaces at the beginning of each line).

Yes, I understand that that applies to Python as well to some degree, but still...

P.S. Somewhat topical anecdote: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_pr ... g_language
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Vamides
Regular

#8 Post by Vamides »

I have a music issue right now... it sounds really, freaking, ugly.

I decided to use a pretty cute background music in the main menu of my novel but seems like I must use an OGG with a frequency of 44100.

I used Audacity to modify the MP3, changing its frequency and saving it as a OGG sound file... but with no luck, it sounds very ugly when I run the game.

Any advice? What I'm doing wrong?

Thanks in advance.

EvilDragon
Veteran

#9 Post by EvilDragon »

You MUST use 16-bit, stereo, 44100 Hz audio files with Ren'py.
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings...

denzil
Veteran

#10 Post by denzil »

I'm pretty sure that it is either the resampling or low bitrate of the OGG why it sounds bad.
But Ren'Py can play MP3 music too, so you don't have to convert it. So just use the MP3 instead.
EvilDragon wrote:You MUST use 16-bit, stereo, 44100 Hz audio files with Ren'py.
No you don't have to. It doesn't have to be any of those. It doesn't have to be 16 bit, or stereo or 44100 Hz.
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

Hm... IIRC, it does require that format, unless you adjust the config variable that controls this. It may also automatically convert 22050 to 44100 as necessary, by doubling each sample.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

denzil
Veteran

#12 Post by denzil »

PyTom wrote:Hm... IIRC, it does require that format, unless you adjust the config variable that controls this. It may also automatically convert 22050 to 44100 as necessary, by doubling each sample.
Okay I did some testing (Ren'Py 6.6.0, no config changes in case something changed in the new version).

Ren'Py plays 8 or 16 bit audio files.
Ren'Py plays stereo as well as mono audio files.
Ren'Py plays anything that has lower or equal frequency than 44100 Hz.

Ren'Py doesn't play 24 or 32 bit audio.
Ren'Py doesn't play or doesn't play well audio with frequency > 44100 Hz. (48000 Hz file played, but sounded bad)
Practice makes purrrfect.
Finished projects: Broken sky .:. colorless day .:. and few more...

#13 Post by Guest »

To add to that (this may have changed since it's been a long time):

Ren'Py especially does not like to play sound files with different properties (especially sample rate) at the same time. So even if a particular file works on its own, you may still run into problems later. Might as well just stick to 16-bit, 44.1 kHz, Stereo (it's not bad).

Vamides
Regular

#14 Post by Vamides »

Hmm, then maybe is the Audacity that doesn't do what I want. I tried to open the modified OGG with the program again, and it does have its default frequency and stuff.

If you can, name other good program to do that kind of stuff. One which allows me to save music files in MP3 or OGG format.

Thank you very much.

AlphaProspector
Regular
Completed: The Circular Gate
Projects: Yume no Sono, Hoshi Agari, The Circular Gate, Koenchu Yonogi Seiyu Story (こえんちゅ!)
Organization: Primum Soft
Soundcloud: Primum Soundblast

#15 Post by AlphaProspector »

Vamides wrote:Hmm, then maybe is the Audacity that doesn't do what I want. I tried to open the modified OGG with the program again, and it does have its default frequency and stuff.

If you can, name other good program to do that kind of stuff. One which allows me to save music files in MP3 or OGG format.

Thank you very much.
FOOBAR 2000. In capitals. This program is small, supports plug ins and, overall, is a nice awesome tool for file conversions. It'll let you convert mp3 to ogg at the exact rate Ren'Py likes. It's the program I've been using to convert my sound and music files to ogg.

http://www.foobar2000.org/

edit: Oh, you will need the Ogg component and Mp3 one in order to do the conversions. As they are exe files and people are too paraonid (well, I AM too paranoid) I'll direct you to the developer's links so you can retrieve 'em.

LAME (for mp3, pick the 3.98): http://www.rarewares.org/mp3-lame-bundle.php

OggEnc (pick the one according to your CPU or the generic): http://www.rarewares.org/ogg-oggenc.php

Hope this helps. It might not look flashy and hi-tech but Foobar compensates it with its speed and converting capabilities.
Enjoy tranquillity. Paint reality with the colours of your imagination.

Primum Soft Website and Blog