Halcyon High

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
VaanAshe
Regular
Projects: Halcyon High

Halcyon High

#1 Post by VaanAshe »

Due to the amount of restrictions I felt when creating Feathers, I've decided to make something more unique. I just finished playing Dream Savior Gakuen, and felt like making something kinda similar. As such, if anyone is willing to do me artwork or music, I'd be more than grateful (however, I cannot pay you as I have no method of doing so, and I doubt my parents would let me take money out of their accounts for artwork).

Basic

Title: Halcyon High
Genre: Boy Chases Girl Romance
Format: Visual Novel
Engine: RenPy 6.6.3
Rating: PG13

Story

You take the role of a new student at Halcyon High, an elite college for only the wealthest (or smartest) students. While at Halcyon, you meet a number of different girls - some of these don't seem remotely interested in you, while others may just want to get inside your pants from the moment you meet them. In the end, though, you must decide whether you've come to Halcyon for education or romance...

If you decide the former, what about the unlucky girls who have suddenly found themselves deeply in love with you? If you decide the latter, what do you do about the girls who you are going to crush the hearts of? Either way, you have no way of clearly winning - no matter what you do, you're going to end up upsetting someone along the line...but will that someone turn out to be you?

Features

The game will, hopefully, have a wide variety of different characters available. At the moment, the characters can be split into two or three categories, but each girl is a totally different personality - one of the girls is used to getting exactly what she wants, while another one is disliked by pretty much everyone, and is really quite strange compared to the rest of the students.

Another selling point is the relationship system - every option you make will pretty much have an effect both positive and negative to the girls (even if they aren't in the scene!). In the end, you really can't try and win the hearts of every girl - you've got to make up your mind on which girl you like the most, and then you've got to aim for that girl, 'cause if you don't, you're going to end up getting screwed.

The Girls

Cleo
The most beautiful out of all of the main female characters. Cleo is known for having her way with getting pretty much all of the guys at Halcyon into bed with her - well, only the hot ones. However, beneath her beautiful figure, is there something darker and more tragic which she's hiding?

Whit
Whit is one of the most popular girls at the school. She has a beautiful singing voice, said to be the voice of an angel. However, in turn, this has made her incredibly bossy, and she also believes that she is exempt to the rules. She is also best friends with Cleo, and recieves fashion tips from her.

Jax
A dancer, Jax is known for being quiet and shy. She's not exactly popular at school, but is liked by pretty much everyone due to her nice personality and the fact that she doesn't have a bad bone in her body. However, there are rumors that Jax is unexperienced with guys - maybe she is?

Kira
Kira is the best friend of Jax. Like Jax, she doesn't have a bad bone in her body, but is fairly unpopular with the more popular girls at school (like Cleo and Whit), who dislike her because of the fact that she is lesbian. Despite the fact she claims she is bisexual. Despite the fact that she hasn't had a boyfriend. Ever.

Pammy
Pammy is a model, known for the fact that she is rarely at school, as she considers the majority of Halcyon to be "celeb wannabes". She is known as being the rival of Cleo, as the pair of them are considered the most beautiful girls in the school, although Pammy isn't popular as she's snobbish.

Gemma
A total mystery, Gemma rarely, if ever, talks, and doesn't even appear to be on the same planet as the rest of us. She is known as always recieving top marks (or close) in her tests, which is the only reason she made it into Halcyon. She has no friends. Could you be her first friend?

Hiring a...

...artist. To either do the character drawings, or to do scene drawings (as in artwork which appears during important scenes in the game), or to do both. This isn't...err...majorly important in either way, as I can always just use ALICE to create the girls, but I'd prefer to have some drawn ones (and because I'd prefer more anime-style artwork over more humanish ones).

...composer. To compose...err...music. Again, I can always download music of the internet for free instead, but if someone would like to compose some music, I'd be more than happy to hear it and probably put it into the game. But, again, this isn't necessary if no one is particularly bothered about actually doing it. So yeah, if you are interested, I'd love to hear what you can do.

Comments...

...would be nice. ^_^
Last edited by VaanAshe on Tue Oct 14, 2008 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LiveJournal and [url=http://myrrh_tree.livejournal.com/]Reviews[/url]... I has them

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Halcyon High

#2 Post by N0UGHTS »

VaanAshe wrote:Jax

Kira
I read those names... And I started thinking about Jak and Daxter. (0_0) Maybe that's just me...

Interesting, another game with a big cast! Looks like a bunch of different endings, too. I just hope the characters won't be too generic or similar to each other. It's a small doubt, though.
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

VaanAshe
Regular

#3 Post by VaanAshe »

N0UGHTS wrote:I read those names... And I started thinking about Jak and Daxter. (0_0) Maybe that's just me...
I've never played Jak and Daxter, so I have no clue why you've thought of them or anything. XD
Interesting, another game with a big cast! Looks like a bunch of different endings, too. I just hope the characters won't be too generic or similar to each other. It's a small doubt, though.
I'm trying to consider which characters I want to have endings, and how many endings I want each of them to have. As such, I've tried to give each character slightly different personality traits (for example, Cleo and Whit are similar, but Cleo isn't bossy and believes she is #1).
LiveJournal and [url=http://myrrh_tree.livejournal.com/]Reviews[/url]... I has them

N0UGHTS
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by N0UGHTS »

VaanAshe wrote:I've never played Jak and Daxter, so I have no clue why you've thought of them or anything. XD
Jak and Keira are characters in those games... The names sound so similar...
World Community Grid
"Thanksgiving is a day for Americans to remember that family is what really matters.
"The day after Thanksgiving is when Americans forget that and go shopping." —Jon Stewart
Thank you for playing Alter Ego. You have died.

VaanAshe
Regular

#5 Post by VaanAshe »

N0UGHTS wrote:Jak and Keira are characters in those games... The names sound so similar...
Ah. Well, I didn't get the names from Jak and Daxter. They're actually names of two of my friends off another forum.

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#6 Post by Hime »

I wouldn't worry about the names. I have never played Jak and Daxter myself, but hey, it's only two names that are the same as in that game, and neither of those names are unique, so why not? If having 2 names same as in some other creation makes those names unusable, then I guess we'd all have to make up new names for our characters, because there's unbeliavable amounts of games, books, movies etc. out there and pretty much all of them feature several characters with names. Seems you already changed them though... Too bad, I think the old ones would have sounded better. ^^;

About the game in general, sounds great to me. ^^ I like the idea of how you can't get an overly perfect ending, and it's great to see some classic high school BxG made, too. Too bad that I can't help you though, I'm an artist but currently I have zero time for projects (even the ones I'm already doing stuff for... Curse you, school! T_T). Good luck with the project, I hope we will see this finished one day! :)

VaanAshe
Regular

#7 Post by VaanAshe »

Hime wrote:I wouldn't worry about the names. I have never played Jak and Daxter myself, but hey, it's only two names that are the same as in that game, and neither of those names are unique, so why not? If having 2 names same as in some other creation makes those names unusable, then I guess we'd all have to make up new names for our characters, because there's unbeliavable amounts of games, books, movies etc. out there and pretty much all of them feature several characters with names. Seems you already changed them though... Too bad, I think the old ones would have sounded better. ^^;
Oh, I'm not overly worried about the names (although I would prefer to have half decent names XD). In fact, when I initially posted they were Jax and Kira. Kira was originally going to be Keira, but I decided to drop the "e" to make it Kira. Of course, if people think it'd be better the previous way then I can always change it. As for Jax, she is actually the name of one of my closest online friends, and she asked if she could have her name used in Feathers, so once I dropped it, I thought it might be nice if I at least used it in one of my projects.
About the game in general, sounds great to me. ^^ I like the idea of how you can't get an overly perfect ending, and it's great to see some classic high school BxG made, too. Too bad that I can't help you though, I'm an artist but currently I have zero time for projects (even the ones I'm already doing stuff for... Curse you, school! T_T). Good luck with the project, I hope we will see this finished one day! :)
I'm glad that you like it. I always thought that there would be no way of pleasing everyone in a romance game, so it made sense to not have an overly perfect ending. And yeah, school takes a chunk out of my time too - I'm not sure whether I'll be able to start before I get my half term break. But yeah, I do plan on getting this finished eventually - even if it takes me a year or something!

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by musical74 »

I'd probably go after Gemma first because she has this total mystery about her! :)

This looks very interesting and I like the premise. I think the main question I have is how you will set this up. Will it be a *pick A for the morning, B for the afternoon> type or....Another question is will the teachers be present (at least a picture of the teachers?) or will they all be faceless? :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

VaanAshe
Regular

#9 Post by VaanAshe »

musical74 wrote:I'd probably go after Gemma first because she has this total mystery about her! :)
I'm currently considering making Gemma unavailable, if only because of the plotline idea I have. *shrugs* I'll probably give her an ending in the end. XD
This looks very interesting and I like the premise. I think the main question I have is how you will set this up. Will it be a *pick A for the morning, B for the afternoon> type or....Another question is will the teachers be present (at least a picture of the teachers?) or will they all be faceless? :)
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. The basic idea is to allow you a freedom of lessons (I'm considering), during which time you can meet the other girls who are in the lessons, but I'm not sure. As for the teachers, it would depend on whether I can get an artist or not. If so, I'd like to think I could have some artwork, but it would depend on the artist tbh.

VaanAshe
Regular

#10 Post by VaanAshe »

This is just an update to say that I've asked max05233157 if he'd be willing to compose music for the game, and he's told me he'd be happy to provide music for the game if I tell him what I need. A quick view of the songs on his YouTube channel will show you that he's incredibly talented!

M12
Veteran

#11 Post by M12 »

I'd go for Kira because she's a lesbian. Bye.

Just kidding. Wow there're lots of characters in this game! They all have a unique background, which is neat. Hopefully this project will all turn out well :).

VaanAshe
Regular

#12 Post by VaanAshe »

M12 wrote:I'd go for Kira because she's a lesbian. Bye.
"So, fancy going on a date?" "Actually, I'm lesbian." "...oh."
Just kidding. Wow there're lots of characters in this game! They all have a unique background, which is neat. Hopefully this project will all turn out well :).
Thank you very much! Hopefully, each character will turn out unique in personality as well, but that depends on how I manage to flesh 'em out I guess.

VaanAshe
Regular

#13 Post by VaanAshe »

Just an update I was planning on posting yesterday and forgot to.

We've now finished the initial draft versions of each character, and I'll be working on finishing off the first draft of the script before the end of the following week (if possible).

My composer appears to have gone a bit dead though, so I may need to find a new one, or just compose some music myself (or get some off the internet).

Zatch
Regular
Projects: Omega(Current), Dragon Souls, Cheer on!

#14 Post by Zatch »

Hows the progress of this going anyways? I like characters. :D