Ren'Py 6.7.1 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
herenvardo
Veteran

Re: Ren'Py 6.7.1 Released

#61 Post by herenvardo »

Nod32 (with virus signature database version 3490, 2008/10/02) says it's clean.

Adorya: have you tried to re-download the package? That'd be the simplest way to check if your first download was corrupted. Also, I'd suggest to make a full-system scan: perhaps something got in, and it infected the jedit.exe while or after downloading.
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

Jake
Support Hero

#62 Post by Jake »

The other quite-plausible alternative is that the AV software he's using is using some kind of pattern-matching heuristic to look for for trojan loaders and the code in jedit.exe which loads the jar is fitting its pattern matching...

... which doesn't say much for his AV software, if that's the case, but it's not a totally-unheard-of problem.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#63 Post by Adorya »

Well, used an online virus scanner (secuser) and portable usb virus scanner (clam) and both didn't find any viruses on my computer or jedit.exe, also tested on 2 others computers and it was clean, so I guess avira's antivir is a bit obsessive about file he can't figure out :roll:

Something to note : in the user interaction section of the demo, if you click on the height elevator and the use the mouse scroll button, the elevator will be used but the rollback will be disabled. If you click out somewhere else the rollback will be available again but the mouse scroll button will no longer be able to use the elevator.

Aenakume
Regular
Projects: Arts... i hate arts -_-

#64 Post by Aenakume »

With Ubuntu 8.04 and RenPy 6.7.1d, jEdit doesn't start when you choose "Edit Script". This is a fairly fresh install of 8.04 - but i don't know what's going wrong because there's no error messages or anything. As far as i know, gcj is supposed to be already installed, but i guess not, hm?

PyTom, you've probly tried it on Hardy and had it work, right? Or just the Intrepid beta? i could try installing gcj and see if it works, but before i do, is there anything else you want me to try?

(Just so you know, i could just figure this all out on my own, but i'm askin this because i want to make sure i don't miss anything. Since it obviously doesn't work out of the box in Hardy, i want to help make a guide to getting it working that's idiot proof, and i'm volunteering as the idiot.)
“You can lead a fool to wisdom, but you cannot make him think.”

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#65 Post by PyTom »

It's a bit sensitive to what version of Java you have installed, and selected using update-java-alternatives. I'm currently using java-6-sun with it, and it works well. (Not as well as windows or mac, however... the occasional blank window pops up.)

openjdk would probably also work fairly well.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Aenakume
Regular
Projects: Arts... i hate arts -_-

#66 Post by Aenakume »

Since you're using the sun package, i'ma try openjdk. Now jEdit launches, and seems to work. If there are problems down the road, i'll let you know.
“You can lead a fool to wisdom, but you cannot make him think.”

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#67 Post by mugenjohncel »

Err... Good Old Trusted Antivir says Jedit is not safe... see screenshot.. really, I didn't do anything stupid this time...

Any idea what's happening?
AHAHAHA! I knew I couldn't trust Jedit...

Adorya
Miko-Class Veteran

#68 Post by Adorya »

Read some posts up your, same happened to me so that mean Antivir is considering it as a false positive, no worry just put it in ignore list :P

Regular
Projects: Ren'Py Russian distributive

#69 Post by 000 »

Hello agin. It your unreliable, tend-to-disappear, russian "localizer" with yet another problem here.
Due to IRL buisiness I missed 6.7.0 and tried to translate the 6.7.1. Everything looked finу until I tried to apply my ol'good trusted localize.rpy, wich is just a set of config.translations, to the the_question same way I did to every other iterations -- put it to the game dir. Well, first time, it worked. But when I closed the game and tried to launch it again,
traceback.txt wrote:I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

ScriptError: Name ('D:\\RenPy \xf6\\renpy-6.7.1\\the_question/game/localize.rpy', 1223209069, 0) is defined twice: at D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\the_question/game/localize.rpy:5 and D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\the_question/game/localize.rpy:5.

While loading the script.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 245, in bootstrap
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\main.py", line 171, in main
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\script.py", line 477, in load_script
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\script.py", line 155, in __init__
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\script.py", line 366, in load_appropriate_file
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\script.py", line 316, in load_file
ScriptError: Name ('D:\\RenPy \xf6\\renpy-6.7.1\\the_question/game/localize.rpy', 1223209069, 0) is defined twice: at D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\the_question/game/localize.rpy:5 and D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\the_question/game/localize.rpy:5.

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.7.1d
appeared.
I deleted the "localize.rpyc" -- It launched and worked just fine. But second attempt to launch failed just like before.
So, what to do?

BTW, when trying to load traceback.txt, jedit says "File could not be loaded correctly (some data might be lost) with the encoding "UTF8, UTF-8Y""
I blame letter "ц" I intentionally put in the Ren'Py installation patch and wich got replaced with rectangle in jedit's traceback.txt, as you see. Just to note, everything else works normally with it.
<feels sowwy for his Engrish>

herenvardo
Veteran

#70 Post by herenvardo »

000 wrote:Hello agin. It your unreliable, tend-to-disappear, russian "localizer" with yet another problem here.
Due to IRL buisiness I missed 6.7.0 and tried to translate the 6.7.1. Everything looked finу until I tried to apply my ol'good trusted localize.rpy, wich is just a set of config.translations, to the the_question same way I did to every other iterations -- put it to the game dir. Well, first time, it worked. But when I closed the game and tried to launch it again,
traceback.txt wrote:I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 245, in bootstrap
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\main.py", line 171, in main
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\script.py", line 477, in load_script
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\script.py", line 155, in __init__
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\script.py", line 366, in load_appropriate_file
File "D:\RenPy �\renpy-6.7.1\renpy\script.py", line 316, in load_file

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.7.1d
appeared.
I deleted the "localize.rpyc" -- It launched and worked just fine. But second attempt to launch failed just like before.
So, what to do?

BTW, when trying to load traceback.txt, jedit says "File could not be loaded correctly (some data might be lost) with the encoding "UTF8, UTF-8Y""
I blame letter "ц" I intentionally put in the Ren'Py installation patch and wich got replaced with rectangle in jedit's traceback.txt, as you see. Just to note, everything else works normally with it.
I'd suggest you to make sure the file is saved in UTF-8 encoding: if you have "ц" encoded in the file via a Russian-specific encoding, then reading the file with other language-specific encodings will make the character appear as something else, and reading it as UTF8-encoded will most likely yield an error (this is true for all 8-bit "extended ASCII" encoding). Even Notepad (on WinXP or later) should be able to open the file in your local encoding and save it as UTF8. If you get any chance to chose, I'd encourage you to include the BOM (ren'py simply ignores it and assumes UTF-8 encoding; most Unicode-aware editors use it to know which encoding does the file use, so they won't try to parse (and afterwards save) it as some other encoding).
BTW: you are probably right in blaming the "ц": it's showing up as question marks in the traceback you attached on my Firefox, which is rendering the page as UTF-8, but the character is properly rendered when you include it on your post: whatever it is, those question marks I'm seeing are not the UTF-8 encoding for ц. If the issue is because of the character on the filename rather than on the file itself; that could be strange: IIRC, the Windows API for file I/O accepts UTF-8 and UTF-16 strings for filenames and converts them to the appropriate encoding when looking the file up (at least on Win2k and higher); and I think python's implementation for Windows relies on that (actually, there aren't many other options). Of course, the filename string needs to be passed as UTF: did you make sure to prefix any string literal that has non-ASCII characters with a 'u'? Like this:

Code: Select all

$mystring = u"áéíóú"
Also, I think Ren'py's code itself would need to use Unicode strings as well for filenames to support non-ASCII characters on the files' paths.

Hope this helps solving the issue.

PS: Also, have you tried to remove the ц from the folder name? That would allow knowing for sure if it is the source of the problem ;) If it works fine without it, and crashes with it, it is definitely causing the crash.
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#71 Post by PyTom »

000's problem is similar to one you'd get if you had a .rpyc file with a name that didn't correspond to the equivalent .rpy file. Like if one moved localization.rpyc to oldlocalization.rpy, that's the sort of error you'd get.

Does it turn up if you edit one of the script file, rather than your new one?

Regular
Projects: Ren'Py Russian distributive

#72 Post by 000 »

PyTom wrote:Does it turn up if you edit one of the script file, rather than your new one?
No, it doesn't...

With localize.rpy I even tried to create new file (with same name), dump my config.translations there and place it in game folder. No luck... T_T

edit:
Nevermind, I extracted a fresh version of Ren'Py, appiled everything to it, and now it's woking!
Still, what was the problem with previous one...

BTW, just a quick lazy question regarding the new implementation of persistent data. Is there a way to make Ren'Py store it in save dir again?
herenvardo wrote:I'd suggest you to make sure the file is saved in UTF-8 encoding: if you have "ц" encoded in the file via a Russian-specific encoding
Nay, nay nay. Ren'Py works, but jedit trows a warning when opening traceback.txt (but opens it all right)...
<feels sowwy for his Engrish>

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#73 Post by PyTom »

000 wrote: BTW, just a quick lazy question regarding the new implementation of persistent data. Is there a way to make Ren'Py store it in save dir again?
Set config.save_directory = None (or just don't bother setting it in the first place).

I do ask that you not change this as part of the translation process, as I think the new default of homedir-based saved has a number of advantages to it, especially when a game is installed globally.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#74 Post by KomiTsuku »

Finally switched over!

So far, it seems very solid and is working nicely.
Professional opinion: I see nothing wrong and will be switching my WIPs over.

Personal opinion: I'm not much of a fan of jedit. It's a bit slower to load and is missing the little tab markers that old me that something was part of a label or menu. Reminds me a lot of most java editors I've worked with, like BlueJ. I suppose it's just something I'm gonna have to get used to.

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#75 Post by delta »

000 wrote: BTW, when trying to load traceback.txt, jedit says "File could not be loaded correctly (some data might be lost) with the encoding "UTF8, UTF-8Y""
I would defiinitely not blame this on Russian, since I get it all the time as well.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.