Who's interested in an RPG/Renai game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.

ARE YOU INTERESTED?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 09, 2005 4:29 pm

Yeah. go do it!
88%
eh... I'll check it out...
12%
nope.
No votes

Total votes: 17

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#16 Post by Megaman Z »

bookie>>if somebody can get me the RGSS script for playing AVI files, then all we'd need is somebody to do flash and then convert it to AVI. sadly, RPGXP doesn't natively support AVI files... (however, it does allow me to import PNG files, so that's good news...)

RedSlash>>okay, you are now listed for alpha and private beta releases.
~Kitsune Zeta

Labbit

#17 Post by Labbit »

It sounds pretty cool. n_n I'd like to help with the CG art. I think you've already seen some of my CGs.

Gloranor
Regular

#18 Post by Gloranor »

(Note: due to unvoiced public wish, the normal humour has been stricken by a deletion spell ;-))

Hm, do the "western" RPGs count for the RPG-expert-qualification? ;-)
(BG, Fallout, Arcanum, PS:T, KotoR, VtM, ToEE,DSA, etc.pp.)

General Question: Do you really want to make a RPG, or rather a game with RPG-like features? (Planescape: Torment is propably the best example for the former; Diablo, Jagged Alliance, etc.pp. are part of the latter... Knights of Xentar rather tend into that direction as well..., IIRC).

I would prefer the former (heh, what do you mean, "I thought so"? ;-)), though I would of course still play (and help if I can) it if it was just RPG-like.

@mikey
Maybe you should try KotoR (if you like Star Wars) or one of the Baldurs Gates games, they play a little bit different than the japaneese RPGs

*goes back to his scriptwriting*
Last edited by Gloranor on Thu Mar 31, 2005 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#19 Post by chronoluminaire »

Surely the most important thing to discuss about this proposition is, how would the ren'ai elements come in? Because let's face it, the RPG making community is rather larger than the ren'ai game making community, and there are lots of fan-made RPGs around but a much smaller (but growing!) number of ren'ai games?

I've played several RPGs. I played the H one Knights of Xentar, but that has pretty much nothing to recommend it. Brave Soul on the other hand is IMHO a really good example of what's possible in a ren'ai RPG. On the RPG side, there are numerous genuine RPG choices, a few genuinely challenging puzzles, an impressive variety of missions compared to most mainstream RPGs; on the ren'ai side, there are a variety of girls with their own character and story, at least two of which stories tie in to the main plot, and there are fun dates and romantic scenes. One very important factor is that your RPG actions affect the girls' feelings towards you, and conversely, progress with the girls gives extra spells or abilities for the RPG side.

So, this is a brilliant idea and I'm all for it! Do give some thought to how best to tie in the ren'ai to the RPG side and vice versa.

Unfortunately, if you're using an engine (which is a very good idea), there's not much I can actually do for the game besides the creative side - writing characters and plot, and coming up with ideas. And I suppose checking out the technical balance side (balancing XP, HP, damage levels of different monsters and spells, etc). I'm no good at full-size art, although I'm okay at sprite-size pixel art, so I could have a go at that (although I've not got too much experience).

Gloranor
Regular

#20 Post by Gloranor »

True, but one can still hope, can't one? ;-)

Hm, just some general thoughts:

RPG/Ren'Ai intergration

Option 1: The game consinste of 2 parts, going on missioins (adventuring) and on the base/in teh town/camp/whatever. We get XP and gold during the missions and then can buy things (weapons, presents etc.), and talk to the girls in base. Maybe the girls fight better when they have a good relationship, or something like that.

Option 2: No real distinction between the two sides, the Ren'Ai elements are part of the normal gameplay. For example:
You, the young mage Hieren, have been asked by his Lord Richard to determine wether there are reallys orcs in the western forests. Richard also recommended him to search the archer Robin, who lived neard the fringes of the forest. On your way to it (travel per map, or just by normal VN-narration, it doesn't really matter), you meet a redhaired girl, who greets you, says her name is Kaori and then asks wether you would know the forest... then multiple choice questions, first telling her you name, asking her why she asks, wh she is, learning a bit of her background, asking her to accompany you (or accepting her offer to accompany you, if you don't make that the offer), or just telling her to get lost, you are after all on an important mission and can't play guide for some simpleton.
Of course it matters what you say and ask, wether she accompanies you or not, what she thinks of you, wether she knows you are interested in ancient history and fighting styles or rather in music, wether she told you about her reasons to to go the forest, etc.pp.
Some time later the two (or only you, if you choose to turn down her offer (or managed to offend her with your inapropiate comments or some insult) arrive near the house where Robin lives (according to the king), but something is amiss...
If you have Kaori with you (or you have a high enough spot/alertness/survival/perception score, you notice that there are orcs around...)
If you don't notice them, they ambush you and you get into combat immediatley.
If you notice them, you can decide to turn back and report to Richard (after all, you missions was just to determine wether there were orcs), or youc an attempt to rescue Robin... either by trying to sneak in, or by directly attacking the orcs.
If you have Kaori with you, she will have her own opinion and will voice it... and if you decide to leave Robin to her fate, she will argue, and if you stay by your decision the "relation-counter" will drop... and she will remind you of that decision later.
If you decide to attack then the normal combat begins, same as when you weren't good enough at sneaking.
After you defeated the orcs or sneaked by them, you enter the hut, just to discover that it is empty beside a single orc.
Again dialog, either threatening him, persuading him that it would be in his best inetrested to reveal the location of Robin, or just using some spell...
And again you (and Kaori) have to decide what to do; search for Robin? return to the king? Maybe send Kaori to the king? (she wouldn't like that, I can tell you ;-)).

Depending on how good the relationshipüs to the different girls are, they react differently to some situations, want to talk about other things (their background, their wishes, interests, dreams, etc.pp.). Sometimes they only begin a dialog if you have a good enough relationship, too.

Uhh... I hope I could make clear what I ment....

*goes back to his scriptwriting... and yes, the script is better that that... I hope ;-)*

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#21 Post by Megaman Z »

Chrono>>you can actually do a bit more in RPGXP than in RPG tsukuru 2000 and 2003, provided you know HOW THE SCRIPTING WORKS. (I once tried to get it so that the characters would follow the party leader... it didn't work. I have fixed the name entry thing, though :) )

Gloranor>>Option 2 sounds a lot like what FLARE did with Romancing Walker, which in turn is generally what I'm aiming for, but with MORE focus on the Ren'ai elements than on leveling up your characters (granted, it was possible to get an instant game over if you didn't have good relationships with at least one girl in the game AND didn't have a certain character in your full party (hint: it's a certain devil) at the end of the game, before you fight the final boss. I don't think I'll be that strict)

Labbit>>I'll get you a resolution to use on the artwork so that I don't have to cover up the game area with a black image. it'll take a short while... (pulls out paint and makes a crosshair with colors in specific places, saves, imports into RPGXP)
~Kitsune Zeta

Labbit

#22 Post by Labbit »

Thanks! n_n I don't really know what a resolution is, though, because I've never helped out with this type of thing. o.O

Gloranor
Regular

#23 Post by Gloranor »

@Megaman Z

Heh, that sounds really good :-)
That also takes care of danger number 2 (number one was the mission/base thing): To be forced to battle through thousands of nameless, useless, irrelevant random encounters just to be strong enough to continue the plot.
(I mean, sure, with something like the DnD-rules it can makle fun to beat random enemies time and time again, from a tactic-gaming perspective... but even then I would prefer to be able to continue to follow the plot/main and sidequests without being forced to spend 9/10 of my time fighting against random encounter monsters... and with the type of ruleset Knights of Xentar&co use... well, at least I can't seem to find it enjoyable ;-)) Some random encounters are good for the atmosphere, but when they become the main point of the game...

About the ending-thing...
Well, if you hint at it often (and clearly) enough, I don't think it is a problem. I mean, when you are told that there are vampires in the cave you are going to, someone tells you that there are some stakes in the smithy, another NPC offers to give you some, and you still go into the cave without anything against vampires, you deserve what you get, on some level :twisted: :wink:

*makes a note to search for "Romancing Walker" as soon he has finally finished Amatire.

@Labbit
He propably means how large the images should be (just like your screen resolution)
Like "The portrait of the Characters should be 70 pixels high and 60 pixels width"
hth

Gloranor, who returns again to his script.

PixelWrangler
Regular

#24 Post by PixelWrangler »

Megaman Z wrote:(+sarcasm)ya know, there's this little checkmark at the login page that says "automatically log me in". you can try ticking that.(-sarcasm)
(+sarcasm)Couldn't be that I know about this obvious element, but don't want that enabled on a shared computer, right? ya know, there's this little thought that says "I'd like to help out with this project". you can try ticking that... off.(-sarcasm)
Labbit wrote:I don't really know what a resolution is, though, because I've never helped out with this type of thing. o.O
By "resolution", MMZ is most likely referring to the screen size/dimensions of the graphics... but I'll leave it to him to elaborate further.

P.W.
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#25 Post by kara24601 »

There's one game like that out ( romancing walker - http://rm2kfanboy.20m.com/ ) there already but yeah any ren'ai / ren'ai rpg is appreciated!

( p.s. yeah sorry I haven't found a new working link for the actual download and I have the "romancing walker" game but I played around with it to make it way easier on myself and stuff...it may be difficult at times for you to play so you might not be interested it...some changes I just _had_ to do because I would get the annoying "stuck" / "frozen character" thing *shrugs* )

( there's like two other ren'ai games I know of for RPG Maker fans but they are yaoi and I know not everyone's into that sort of thing...heh
I am not sure if they really count as having rpg elements even though they MIGHT seem like it....*shrugs again* )

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#26 Post by Megaman Z »

labbit>> as PW and others have pointed out already, the resolution of an image is the WIDTH by HEIGHT, usually in pixels. I'm still working on getting the exact measurements, so bear with me. (anyone with RPGXP on their hands can speed things up a bit...) [edit: GOT IT! WIDTH = 640 pixels, HEIGHT = 480 pixels. (notes down for future reference)]

PW>> sorry, I end up assuming everyone who comes here is on their own personal computer. it's a habit... so many people in my area have computers of their own...

Gloranor>> you need RPG tsukuru 2000 (or at least the RTP and an exe file from it) to run Romancing Walker if you download it from the official site (which I forgot where it was.) also, there's still one joke that cracks me up today which turned into a running gag for a while. (it involved Ryle [the main male character], a cave, a bunch of falling rocks, and a weird way to learn an ability...)

everyone in general>> so far, I believe we have an artist (Labbit), music shouldn't be too much of a problem right now (I have placeholders right now), so all we really need right now is somebody working out the script for the game (as in what happens at what point and who is involved. general discriptions of the towns and stuff would help on my end because I have to "build" each location, and that can take a while if I don't know where each building and shop goes...)
~Kitsune Zeta

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#27 Post by rioka »

It's good to see you guys running full speed on this project. I'm looking forward to playing the final results when it comes out. :)

re mikey>> There's this Strategy RPG I think you will like and where the HP don't really matter. If you can get your hands on it, I suggest you try Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure. It's a love story (in more than one level) and has an ending I think you'll like.

PixelWrangler
Regular

#28 Post by PixelWrangler »

Megaman Z wrote:labbit>> as PW and others have pointed out already, the resolution of an image is the WIDTH by HEIGHT, usually in pixels. I'm still working on getting the exact measurements, so bear with me. (anyone with RPGXP on their hands can speed things up a bit...)
Terminology hint, MMZ... purely constructive... "resolution" usually refers to the display properties of a monitor, as in "this game runs at 800x600 resolution", or the dpi (dots per inch) of an image, as in "images for print should always be 300dpi resolution or greater". Good terms for describing graphic size are "dimensions", "size" or, more generally, "specifications/specs".
Megaman Z wrote:PW>> sorry, I end up assuming everyone who comes here is on their own personal computer. it's a habit... so many people in my area have computers of their own...
Technically, I am the only one who uses this computer, but there are others around, and nothing to stop them from using it as well. Therefore, I leave these boards logged off by default. Plus, as I said, most of the other boards I've been on require you to login before posting.

As to the post... I don't react well to sarcasm/put-downs, especially when I've done nothing to deserve it. I've become awash in flames and trolled far too many times on other message boards without merit. For the most part, I do my best to treat others on message boards well and, as a result, tend to expect the same in return.

In this case, if the response had been phrased somthing like "Have you checked off/noticed/seen the 'always stay logged in...' box on the login screen?", without the sarcasm tags, it wouldn't have been an issue.
Megaman Z wrote:everyone in general>> so far, I believe we have an artist (Labbit), music shouldn't be too much of a problem right now (I have placeholders right now), so all we really need right now is somebody working out the script for the game (as in what happens at what point and who is involved. general discriptions of the towns and stuff would help on my end because I have to "build" each location, and that can take a while if I don't know where each building and shop goes...)
Best of luck. I'll look forward to seeing the final product. Ganbatte!

P.W.

P.S. - Congrats on your first project, Labbit. Considering your Windwaker inspiration, nothing like a ren'ai RPG to kick things off, ne? ;)
Life is hard.
Except in ren'ai games.
Then it's a whole lot softer.

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran

#29 Post by Megaman Z »

PW>> somehow, I think you shouldn't look at the "Random Stuff" thread I have in the games, anime, music section... (or at least, past the fourth post in that thread...)
~Kitsune Zeta

darkknight
Veteran

#30 Post by darkknight »

PixelWrangler wrote:As to the post... I don't react well to sarcasm/put-downs, especially when I've done nothing to deserve it. I've become awash in flames and trolled far too many times on other message boards without merit. For the most part, I do my best to treat others on message boards well and, as a result, tend to expect the same in return.

In this case, if the response had been phrased somthing like "Have you checked off/noticed/seen the 'always stay logged in...' box on the login screen?", without the sarcasm tags, it wouldn't have been an issue.
Yeah who in their right mind would put someone down on this fourm...that is just wrong.
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....