Star Ocean: The First Departure

For the rest of your otaku life.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Star Ocean: The First Departure

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

Awright! Who's playin this? I'm about halfway through the game right now and it's awesome. (as a game.) I know they just slapped SO2's sprites, backgrounds and game system into SO1 and added some moefied anime cutscenes and voice acting, but I like it anyway.

Roddick's Dragon Roar (similar to Claude's Dragon Howl in SO2) eats enemies alive at high proficiency.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

MoonlightBomber
Regular
Completed: Gravure: A Super Network Wars Prelude, Nothing Happened series
Projects: Deadline, upcoming NaNoRenO 2020 project
Tumblr: moonlightbomber
Deviantart: moonlightbomber
itch: dagitabsoft

Re: Star Ocean: The First Departure

#2 Post by MoonlightBomber »

Recently finished it. As noted by lordcloudx above, I used Dragon Roar very often and I didn't have to worry about random encounters then. In fact, for every random encounter in the bonus dungeon, the party leveled up very often.

Now that I've finished it, I'm very convinced that Claude (of SO2) is the son of Ronyx and Ilia, translation errors in the PS version notwithstanding...
Korina Sanchez: Ex-sensei Mel, we've met again.
Mel Tiangco: I'm expecting this from my former student.
Korina Sanchez: I know all along the reason for your presence.
Mel Tiangco: Of course. Your hairbrush.
Korina Sanchez: Snatch it again? Well, you're mistaken. It's because my hairbrush's container is packed with security features. What's your say?
Mel Tiangco: If you can do security... (pause) then 120% of my strength will shatter it!

Excerpt from Super Network Wars Omega: Suikoden Pilipinas

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Still preoccupied with 1995

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Back in 1996, when the SNES was dying and the Super Famicom was fading, I was really, really hoping for more RPGs in English. Star Ocean 1 was one of many 16-bit games which went untranslated -- probably because production costs were high, and demand for games other than mascot platformers, fighters, and sports was kinda small. So there was about a year and a half between the translations of Lufia 2 and Mario RPG, and the translation of FF7 (which compelled me to purchase a PS1). I filled most of that time obsessing over Civilization. There were some Sega console games that I missed, but those systems were too expensive at the time.

Anyway, the PSP edition of Star Ocean 1 will stay in its package until December 25th.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

lazycloudx

#4 Post by lazycloudx »

MB: Yup, Claude is the son of Ronyx but they called Him Ronnixis J. Kenni in both the PS1 and the dejap translated snes rom.

Also... hehe! You won't find it that easy in the SO2. Although Claude also has Mirror Slice (kinda like Cloud's Omnislash) to augment his Dragon Howl.

gekiganwing: If you've seen the original Star Ocean, the PSP version is a total remake. It looks and feels like a completely different game thanks to the Squenix slapping on SO2's system into the original game.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

lazycloudx wrote:MB: Yup, Claude is the son of Ronyx but they called Him Ronnixis J. Kenni in both the PS1 and the dejap translated snes rom.

Also... hehe! You won't find it that easy in the SO2. Although Claude also has Mirror Slice (kinda like Cloud's Omnislash) to augment his Dragon Howl.

gekiganwing: If you've seen the original Star Ocean, the PSP version is a total remake. It looks and feels like a completely different game thanks to the Squenix slapping on SO2's system into the original game.
What? I think in SO2, the game clearly explains that Claude is the son of Ronyx. In the opening, Ronyx has become a high-ranking officer and lots of people think Claude could become an officer too just because his father influence. Well, you know the burden being a son of a legendary hero (people hope too much in you).

lazycloudx

#6 Post by lazycloudx »

sure, no argument there. I just meant that they called him Ronnixis and not Ronyx in the ps1 version of Star Ocean.

Claude: But I am my own person. I will not stand in the shadow of my father.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#7 Post by LVUER »

Ah yeah, usual thing that always happen in translation/localization. I don't really notice the name since I already know that Claude's father is SO1's protagonist when playing SO2.

HAXLION
Regular
Projects: "Everything"

#8 Post by HAXLION »

I've wanted to play this for a while, but sadly I lack a PSP. ;_;

Loved SO3, though, and SO2 would've been even better if the translation and voice acting hadn't been so godamned awful.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by lordcloudx »

Just finished this game, Jie Revorse was rather weak. The game is kinda short by modern console rpg standards. Finished it quite leisurely at about 21 hours.

I'm gonna try the Cave of the Seven Stars and I'll also fight Gabriella Celeste on my other save before I went past the point of no return.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#10 Post by LVUER »

lordcloudx wrote:Just finished this game, Jie Revorse was rather weak. The game is kinda short by modern console rpg standards. Finished it quite leisurely at about 21 hours.
That's because the game is a re-modernized old console RPG. Anyway, 21 hours is not short for today standard (it is short for old standard).
Games like Crono Trigger, Radiata Story, Valkyrie Profile (1 & 2), Final Fantasy VIII, and there are some others I've forgotten; they're RPGs and they are short.

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#11 Post by lordcloudx »

I dunno... I kinda hold the opinion that modern console rpgs should have at least 40-100 hours of gameplay with the NIS published games (srpgs not included) being the exception since they're fun and feel just the right length even if the over-all playtime is short. (Final Fantasy X and XII, Persona 3, and yeah, even FFVIII and both VP games had at least 40 hours of gameplay, I think) Tales of Phantasia, which was released at about the same time as SO1 had 40 hours or more of gameplay.

Jake
Support Hero

#12 Post by Jake »

lordcloudx wrote:I dunno... I kinda hold the opinion that modern console rpgs should have at least 40-100 hours of gameplay
And I kind of hold the opinion that anything longer than 30 hours or so is unlikely to get finished, since I have this annoying 'job' thing which is what allows me to earn money to play games in the first place, and I've yet to meet the game which holds my attention for literally months without me ever wanting to take a break and do something else. The trend in the last 5-10 years of trumpetting "TAKES YOU FIVE WEEKS OF SOLID PLAYING TO COMPLETE!" just resigns me to never even starting those games. So I'm perfectly happy to buy a game which takes me 'only' all of my free time for every evening for two weeks to finish. 21 hours sounds fine to me.

And that's leaving aside that it's on a portable platform here, which means that it's most likely to get played on bus/train journeys, lunch breaks and that kind of thing; who wants to sit in their house playing for hours on a tiny PSP screen when they could be playing on a TV instead? It's the main reason I never finished Golden Sun - it was on the GBA, and any time I had the amount of time needed to play through a chunk of a traditional JRPG I'd far rather have spent it sitting in comfort in the lounge than craning over a tiny GBA screen.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran

#13 Post by lordcloudx »

Jake: Uh... sure... now... wasn't I just talking (in response to LVUER) about how the modern trend (standard) for console rpgs is hundreds of hours instead of under 21? :wink:

LVUER
King of Lolies

#14 Post by LVUER »

lordcloudx wrote:I dunno... I kinda hold the opinion that modern console rpgs should have at least 40-100 hours of gameplay with the NIS published games (srpgs not included) being the exception since they're fun and feel just the right length even if the over-all playtime is short. (Final Fantasy X and XII, Persona 3, and yeah, even FFVIII and both VP games had at least 40 hours of gameplay, I think) Tales of Phantasia, which was released at about the same time as SO1 had 40 hours or more of gameplay.
What I mean is more and more RPGs nowadays is shorter than they're used to be. 20+/25+ hours RPGs is quite common nowadays (please don't count the side-quest, 100% perfect completion, additional 100 floors sanity-hazard dungeons, and NIS TRPGs eg:Disgaea). Perhaps now they aim more to short but fun and challenging gameplay (and graphics) that also intended for busy people.
I often get frustated finishing 40+ hour RPGs, only to know that there is more than one ending and there is no "New Game +" around.
Of course long RPGs are still around. FFXII, WA5, and bunch others (although there are less and less RPGs for PS2, bohohoho...)

BTW, SO1 got out after ToP (since most of the crew are the same people, hence producing similar games). Same case with Tactics Ogre and FFT. But, yeah, perhaps ToP is long (despite being earlier) although I don't know the exact hour. I didn't notice it before, it seems short for me.

Note: Perhaps the reason of it being so short is the hardware limitation? 40+ Megs in a single cartridge is incredible, not to mention the amount of voices. I still remember the first time I hear the ToP opening song, I literally cry (of bliss and happiness). I also scream when I hear Cless shout "Koga-hazan" in ToP.