Science Girls! - an RPG in Ren'Py

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

Science Girls! - an RPG in Ren'Py

#1 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

A public alpha test of Science Girls is available from http://spikycaterpillar.dreamhosters.com/alpha/ for Windows, Mac, and Linux.
If anyone with an iLiad wants to test it, I'll upgrade to 6.8.1 and try to make an iLiad build as well - just let me know.

If anyone wants in on the private alpha when we get further along on the game, PM me with the systems you'd be testing it on.
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Science Girls! - an RPG in Ren'Py

#2 Post by PyTom »

Nifty. This is the sort of thing I don't expect people to make with Ren'Py, and so I'm really suprised when they do. I look forward to the complete game.

A couple of suggestions:

The color-changing window is neat, but it's fast enough to be distracting. I'd slow it down by an order of magnitude.

Since the attack options move around alot, it might make sense to make them bigger.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

Nyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Nyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

Nya~!

Nyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!

Nyyyyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!
Seriously, who did those battle voice overs? XD

But I thought it was really cute so far. I second Pytom that the colour in the message box changes too fast. Also, the game crashed on me when I tried to level up the characters, so I couldn't get that far. =_=;

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'lvlhp'

While running game code:
 - script at line 211 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/script.rpy
 - python at line 222 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/script.rpy.
 - python at line 1720 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/game.rpy.
 - script at line 261 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy
 - python at line 261 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy.
 - python at line 141 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy.
 - python at line 47 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 247, in bootstrap
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\main.py", line 300, in main
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\ast.py", line 554, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\python.py", line 880, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/script.rpy", line 222, in <module>
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\ui.py", line 58, in interact
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\display\core.py", line 1324, in interact
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\display\core.py", line 1795, in interact_core
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\display\layout.py", line 583, in event
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\display\layout.py", line 583, in event
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\display\behavior.py", line 180, in event
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/game.rpy", line 1720, in game_menu_trap
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\game.py", line 272, in call_in_new_context
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\ast.py", line 554, in execute
  File "C:\Users\Sam Yang\Downloads\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\python.py", line 880, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy", line 261, in <module>
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy", line 141, in character_profile
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy", line 47, in apply_lp

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.8.0f

TMBpower
Regular

#4 Post by TMBpower »

I also experienced a crash while playing the game. Please fix.:)

I'm really impressed by the graphics, who is your design team? Looks great!
Volunteer CG artist, if your story interests me (which is very likely!).
PM me if you want me on your team!
Current Project: None

Novinha
Regular
Projects: Scelta

#5 Post by Novinha »

Haven't played the demo far enough to experience the crash, but the characters, background, script (in particular the witticism), and the battle system are all impressive :)

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#6 Post by dizzcity »

First playthrough:
Hmm... Wow, great main menu layout, seeing all the girls at first. Artwork for the Main Menu text looks a little plain, though, in comparison. Perhaps a better background than a solid bar of blue might be better for the menu options. (Minor fix)

Character naming screen is clear and straightforward. What's with the mask? Am I playing a girl? Oh. Didn't expect that. Thought it would be a harem game. Ah well. Hmm... I'm not able to select my science? Aww.

Uh-oh, no tutorial or instructions. I expected at least a single screen of instructions to tell me how to progress through the game at first (Ref: see instructions screen in Heileen), or at least a "Click to Continue" indicator. (Major fix) If you're not planning on going commercial, then ignore this comment.

Jennifer is cute. ^_^ So far, grammar and writing are great. Toupee jokes FTW... why does she know hair... oh. Biology.

First battle scene. Nice mood music. Interface layout is generally smooth and easy to follow. But there are some problems. The player's own stats are in the far-right of the status bar, instead of the far-left, as I would have expected. Convention dictates that as I <President> am the first Science Girl that I <Player> encounter, my stats should be the first ones shown on the left, before Jennifer's. Plus, since English is read from left-to-right, top-to-bottom, top-left corner of the screen is generally treated as most important and bottom-right as least. In a battle, the thing that interests me most is my own stats. They shouldn't be at the least-prominent part of the screen. (Major fix) Also, if Jennifer gets her own picture of her eyes in the statusbar, why don't I do? No picture, no association with character. (Major fix)

Hmm... can I use keyboard in battle? Yes I can! Good! Hmm... have to press a button twice before I'm able to select stuff using keyboard (once to activate keyboard input, once to actually interact with the interface). Would be better if keyboard input is activated and acted upon during the first keypress. (Minor fix)

Hehe... voices are weird, but pretty funny. :) Maybe I just have a odd sense of humour. Sounds to me like the sound files for the yells got stretched out a bit too long. (i.e. a yell that's supposed to play for 0.5 sec is made to play for 1 sec, and thus sounds stretched). (Minor fix) Vertical lines are fine for attack indicators, I guess... but that gives the impression of slashing claws (eg. Wolverine), rather than punches. Might want to re-think how to make the attack indicators match up to the stated descriptions. Punches I would associate with a quick burst of white light, similar to mini-explosions. Or you could change the attack descriptions to Scratch/Claw instead. (Medium fix)

Yay! Nice victory animation and screen. :D Thought I'd see all of the characters gaining exp on one screen, but I guess individually in sequence would be okay too. How long would this take if all six girls were fighting in a battle, though? (Minor fix)

Ah, lovely music post-battle. Oh, I've finally noticed the "Menu" icon in the top-right. Err... why is there a "Profiles" button on the Profiles page? Can I click on it? Hmm... does nothing. (Minor fix). Oh, I can click on the girls themselves. I see.

Ah, hovering over some stats gives you information about them. Great! :D Um... the text-alignment in the dialog window that pops-up is a little strange. Seems to veer from being centred to being left-aligned, to being justified. Maybe a fixed window size/position, and constant left-alignment from the same point would be better? (Minor fix). Hmm... now that you've provided pop-up info about the first column of stats, I was expecting similar pop-up info on the second column. No luck. (Minor fix)

What's "CCost: D"? Is there a picture overlay problem there? (Minor fix) What does it mean, anyway?

Anyway, back to the game.

Ooh, debate about the qualities of plants. Fun answers! :D Let me try all four, using rollback. Great info! Err... there's a logical problem with the script following "Plants don't eat food", though. <Player> is the one who says that, yet <Player> is also the one who brings up the topic of carnivorous plants. And then she holds the position that some plants do eat food. Isn't that a contradiction?

Oh wow! A map! I'm impressed by the sheer variety and versatility of the interface you've put together. And an instructions screen too! Great! (A little late about the game menu, but never mind...) Okay, let's try keyboard first. Err... she only moved one step. What's going on? Is this a bug? Oh, I see. I need repeated key presses instead of holding down the same key in order for her to keep moving in the same direction. I expected that holding down the key would keep her moving in that direction until I let go. (Major fix) Okay, let's try mouse. Err... I can't click on a room directly? I need to click step-by-step until I walk to the room? Is there a reason behind this? It seems like an added hindrance to the player without any real benefit. (Major fix) If there IS a reason behind these rather awkward movement controls (like random encounters on certain corridor tiles), then it had better be worthwhile to justify the added complexity of the movement interface.

Went to Room 504. Nothing. Heh, Jennifer.

Went to Room 502. Attacked by a Slirrup. Err... why is it called Slirrup 2? (Major fix) Are you going to number all your monsters, or is that just for internal purposes during this alpha phase?

Went to Room 501. Attacked by a Spratling. Again, Spratling 2? Maybe it's just a code error? Hmm... Spratlings are pretty evasive. I think it must have dodged about half my attacks. Nice variety in enemies so far.

Went to 5th Floor stairwell. Hmm... not interested in going anywhere else yet. Want to explore the other rooms first. Am I supposed to pick Hallway? Ah, yes I am.

Went to Room 505. Attacked by Rootheads. Oh, here we have the numbering system working properly... there's Roothead 1 and 2. Then what's up with the Slirrup and Spratling before? Okay, getting a little worried. I'm down to 10 HP on both of my characters. Is there any way to heal them? Oh. I leveled up! Perfect timing. And I see Jennifer's now got First Aid! Beautiful.

Ah. The "!!" next to the menu indicator could do with a little bit more flashing or animation to attract the player's attention. If I wasn't going to visit the menu already, I probably wouldn't have noticed it. (Minor fix)

Oh! You can spend points on character customization. Awesome. Err... you can also decrease stats? Great! Oh, no you can't. Eh... then what's the pink arrows for if you can't... oh, I see. They're for use in case you've already spent the point and want to refund it. Hmm... would be better if the pink arrow appeared AFTER you spend points on that stat. Prevents possible confusion (minor fix).

Oh, I've finally figured out that it was "(Cost: 1)", not "CCost: D"! Boy, that font is confusing. I only realised it after seeing "(Cost: 3)".

Game crashed upon clicking "Apply changes" when spending a point on Player's Health.
Overall, I really like the production quality so far. Some interface, SFX and polish issues can still be improved on, but the artwork, writing and music are all very well done. Since you're still only halfway through alpha, there's still plenty of room for improvement, but so far this shows great promise. Keep it up! :D

-Dizzy-

Edit: Note. Tested Windows build on Windows XP SP3, running on 5-year-old 2 Ghz Pentium (R) laptop with 240 RAM. Firefox and Ren'Py launcher running in the background. No slowdowns noted.
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

#7 Post by Aashtarsrain »

:D Brilliant. So much fun and my kind of rpg stuff. Thanks !

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

.... w... what dizzcity said o_o... Man, that was an indepth comment! XD I have nothing to add, except I'd like some more story/exposition in between the first fights. Unless, of course, this is only 1% of the game, in which case there'll be enough time for story later :).

I also got the Apply changes crash :

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an exception occured while executing your Ren'Py
script.

While running game code:
 - script at line 229 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/script.rpy
 - python at line 234 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/script.rpy.
 - python at line 1720 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/game.rpy.
 - script at line 271 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy
 - python at line 271 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy.
 - python at line 141 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy.
 - python at line 47 of /c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy.

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 247, in bootstrap
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\main.py", line 300, in main
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\main.py", line 92, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\ast.py", line 554, in execute
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\python.py", line 880, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/script.rpy", line 234, in <module>
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/game.rpy", line 1720, in game_menu_trap
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\game.py", line 272, in call_in_new_context
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\execution.py", line 199, in run
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\ast.py", line 554, in execute
  File "D:\Jeux\ScienceGirls!-0.5.9\renpy\python.py", line 880, in py_exec_bytecode
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy", line 271, in <module>
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy", line 141, in character_profile
  File "/c/Documents and Settings/Meee/Desktop/renpy-6.8.0/ScienceGirls!/game/profiles.rpy", line 47, in apply_lp

While running game code:

Ren'Py Version: Ren'Py 6.8.0f
Since it's not at the exact same lines, I'll copy mine too.

I'm very eager to see where this goes ^_^.

Spiky Caterpillar
Veteran
Completed: Lots.
Projects: Black Closet
Organization: Slipshod

#9 Post by Spiky Caterpillar »

First off, thanks to everyone for the feedback, and a great big thank you to Dizzcity. That really did help, and got me off my arse to actually make the pathfinding I'd been
putting off. Which wasn't so bad, it turned out.

I tried to remove the apparent self-contradiction in the bit about plants eating (... and wedge in commentary about nonphotsynthetic plants, such as the rafflesia.), but Our Heroine's eyes glazed over partway through and she insisted that we change it back.

A ton of bugfixes and improvements are up in the latest alpha (and, five minutes after uploading it, I remembered 'oh wait, the dialog window shifts are still too fast'. Oops. That's fixed as of the alpha that will be uploaded when I actually have some other meaningful changes.)

Since I've got the flu, I'm putting off sound-adjustments until I'm well enough to hear.
(First time I showed it to my flatmate, he was all 'THAT'S what those annoying noises I was hearing all the time were!', which is why it now has a preference to turn off the yelling when the girls attack.) I'm not sure if there should be a general voices/no voices toggle or not at the moment - any thoughts?
Nom nom nom nom nom LEAVES.

dizzcity
Veteran
Projects: Lakeside Sunset, Wedding Vows, Working Woman

#10 Post by dizzcity »

Don't have time for detailed comments like before, so just quick playtest reports on the new build (0.5.13):

Interface
- Nice work with the instructions screen, putting it on the blackboard. Looks like you took the text directly from Heileen, but it works. Instructions screen before the map appears will need a little change, though, since you've repeated the "how to access menu" instructions twice in the game now.

- Great to see that you've included rollover text for the second column of stats in the character profiles. Very clear and straightforward.

- New SP cost indicators for the special actions in the Profiles page are much clearer now (guess it was just those brackets which were confusing).

- Level upgrade notification text... While it's acceptable, I think you can do better later on by replacing it with more vivid animation and sound effects, rather than just a line of text at the top of the screen. It works for now, though. (Minor fix)

- REALLY appreciate the improvements to the map navigation. Now it's a lot clearer and user-friendly. Thanks!

Combat Mode
- Great work on the status indicators in the combat screen. Much easier and more readable now. I know exactly where and what my character's status is.

- Rollback does funny things in combat mode. You will probably need to disable it. (Major fix)

- I see the enemy numbering bug is gone. So you put two enemies in all the battles? Great! :)

- Greater Slirrup is hilarious! And very well done. I especially like the "Help!" that pops up.

- Meh, the new punch effect still doesn't do it for me (now it looks like Ultraman's beam of light, when I was thinking more of the old Western comics "Bam!" "Pow!" kind of effect). Others may differ though. It's a minor preference. Up to you. (Minor fix - maybe)

All in all, this version looks much more polished than the other one. Now it's just a matter of adding more content. :) Good luck with that.

-Dizzy-
A smart man follows the rules, a dumb man breaks them. A great man bends the rules and thus creates them.
Fanfiction.net Profile.
Writer and director of Working Woman (NaNoRenO March 2010)
Writer and director of Wedding Vows (finished 2009).
Creator of Lakeside Sunset (finished 2006).

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by monele »

Wah! I totally missed the fact it was updated o_o... I'll have to test this tonight :D

Ramidel
Regular

#12 Post by Ramidel »

Nice work so far. We haven't seen much of the power of Science! yet, but I'm sure more cool Sciencey! powers will show up soon. ^_^ A list of positive and negative criticisms.

Likes (interface):
Amazingly easy map navigation. Maze dungeons are a pain in the patootie.
Kawaii graphics.
Intuitive.
Instructions on the blackboard: awesome.

Dislikes (interface):
I'd like to think the girls knew their way around the schoolrooms. ^_^ The blank questionmarks seem odd.

Likes (game):
Just enough geek service. It's a game about science geeks, so putting in a few interesting facts is a good idea, but as you said, dissertations are not fun.
As noted above, intuitive and fun battle system, and the beginnings of a powerset.
Original premise and quite fun.
Jennifer is hilarious.
Both powers are very useful and balanced. (First Aid needs no elaboration, and of course Hypnotism helps with those damn Sprats!)

Dislikes (game):
Give the heroines access to their first power at level 1, please. Right off the bat, make them Science Girls! (Translation: I hate the first-level just-a-punch.)
Level-by-level conquest of the school ("You can't go down till you've cleaned all the rooms on this level") seems annoying; will it work if you can move as your levels allow?

Going forward, cautions and requests (game):
Will there be a romance arc? (This is Lemmasoft, must ask.) It -looks- like a Girls Love game on the surface, but you might be teasing us...
I hope the game goes beyond a mere school cleanup, but I don't know how ambitious you are on that score.
Simple RPG systems are often easy to break on a tactical level.

In short:
Keep working. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

madquest8
Regular

#13 Post by madquest8 »

That was great... are you going to 'Hentai' it up ?... that would be even better...

Novinha
Regular
Projects: Scelta

#14 Post by Novinha »

madquest8 wrote:That was great... are you going to 'Hentai' it up ?... that would be even better...
I hope that's just a joke... SG has a great premise and (so far) good execution, it would be really sad if it's turned to just another tentacle-fest :(
~ Si vis pacem, para bellum ~
# Flavius Vegetius Renatus #

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by Showsni »

Think I found a bug; I was in room 502, and got both girls killed. I reloaded from the last autosave, and they were still in room 502 on one health each and a Greater Slirrup appeared. I killed it, and then it played the dialogue you normally get for killing the GS at the stairwell before the game ended.

Also, I started a new game and died in the first battle. The reloaded autosave was from an earlier game, though, in one of the later rooms.

Nice game so far, though!