Problems testing out my games

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Problems testing out my games

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

Yesterday, I finally tested out my Ren'py game-in-the-works. I used other games as well as the Ren'py demo as examples, so that I could figure out what files should go where. I used others' .exe files, since I wasn't sure how to make my own.

Unfortunately, my first test was met with an unexplained failure. I got an error, and the program wouldn't even start up. I figured that I had made serious mistakes with Seen Set and Menu. So after that, I took a few minutes to create a simpler demo and thus test out Ren'py. That also refused to work.

How can I test out a script in .rpy form to see if it works? And how can I create an .exe file so that my game will work?

Thanks for feedback. So says the Taiyaki Fan.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#2 Post by PyTom »

First of all, let me point out that I'd really need to see the error message in order to know what's going wrong.

That being said, the usual procedure is to replace script.rpy in the game directory of the ren'py distribution with your own script file, and then run run_game.exe.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Thanks for the idea. I'll try this, and then I'll email you in a day or two if there's still problems. And if everything goes wrong, I'll keep working on my new story idea.