New VN Type DS Game: Time Hollow

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

New VN Type DS Game: Time Hollow

#1 Post by Nafai »

Name: Time Hollow
Platform: Nintendo DS
Review: http://xcomprandomness.co.uk/2008/03/25 ... ith-a-pen/

Just started this one, but it seems pretty cool so far, though the stylus is nothing but a gimmick. Thought I'd give everyone a heads up to make sure they don't miss it ^_^

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: New VN Type DS Game: Time Hollow

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

IGN's article on Time Hollow: "Featuring a variety of interesting characters that come to life via the words of Junko Kawano, script writer for Suikoden IV..." Uh-oh. Suikoden 4 is currently considered the worst of the series. The same person also collaborated on Suikoden Tactics and the little-known PS2 game Shadow of Memories.

September was rather good for DS games which I'm personally interested in. I have an obsession with Dragon Quest 4, I like Rhapsody for personal reasons, I'm curious about Simcity Societies, and then there's this game...
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#3 Post by yummy »

I'm playing the first chapter of this game and all I can say for now is "wah".

On my first play I found the CG excellent and the music good.
There are short tutorial phases where you learn how to use your pen.
You can use it anywhere! But this only launches pre scripted dialogues.

A short video shows the characters and enigmatic phenomenas.

Storywise, there's a real mystery at the beginning and it makes the game interesting.
The plot even deepens and it turns out a little like a detective quest.
Nothing difficult, but the story seems great so far.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by monele »

Well, the review said it was short and kinda too easy. So I guess it is, but the story makes up for it?

yummy
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Suna to Majo

#5 Post by yummy »

You play as a young man who discovers the world he knew radically changed the next day.
He is named "Hourou" (which is the japanese pronouciation of hollow). The cat he takes care of carries a strange pen that gives him power to change events in time (and freeze time too), as dramatical events take place around him.
By trying to change them for the good, he discovers he's not the only one who can do this.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by monele »

Could you give early examples of what one can do with this time power? It looks like an adventure game, so I suppose it's not about quick reflexes... but then how does it play?

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

Ever play game titled "Shadow of Destiny" (PS2/PC) ? A great game,
too bad you unlocks the ending only by playing it again, and again, and again... ^_^
Examples of using time power without quick reflexes:
- Move back and forth in time to solve the mystery. Some time restriction will simplify the plot, like being only able to choose between 20 years ago and present, or every time you use time power, the time limit decreases.
- Being able to start over to several hours prior every time you get killed (plot related or entirely game play).

GLACIER
Regular

#8 Post by GLACIER »

the story makes up for it?
The story is well told, but unambitious (forgettable children's anime fare). You won't find detailed narration or character development here, but it's a fun time waster. Expect to finish the game is around five hours.

In a way, storytelling is a contrast to Hotel Dusk. The latter aims higher but suffers from questionable execution, whereas Time Hollow is simple yet tightly written.
It looks like an adventure game, so I suppose it's not about quick reflexes... but then how does it play?
There isn't much to it. Since the game structure is 100% linear, use of the pen is dictated by a prescribed sequence of events, so you don't actually choose when to use it.

As for the mechanic, it's just hotspot manipulation. Once time freezes (triggered after you talk to the right people and learn the time/place of a flashback), you tap the spot in question (identify this by comparing the present scene with the flashback image). When you've selected the right spot, your character changes history by removing an item from the past, or by leaving behind an inventory item, etc.

The story then continues.

Nafai
Veteran
Projects: Elect: Ascendance

#9 Post by Nafai »

GLACIER wrote:
the story makes up for it?
There isn't much to it. Since the game structure is 100% linear, use of the pen is dictated by a prescribed sequence of events, so you don't actually choose when to use it.

As for the mechanic, it's just hotspot manipulation. Once time freezes (triggered after you talk to the right people and learn the time/place of a flashback), you tap the spot in question (identify this by comparing the present scene with the flashback image). When you've selected the right spot, your character changes history by removing an item from the past, or by leaving behind an inventory item, etc.

The story then continues.
Just finished the game, and I'm glad they addressed (if imperfectly) the more complicated ramifications of time traveling towards the end. I've done some looking around online and its not really 100% linear after all - there are some minor variations to the ending, and apparently there are sections when you can change more than one thing in the time freeze areas, which can lead to some pretty major changes to some of the supporting cast.

Formedras
Regular
Projects: Ninja TK

#10 Post by Formedras »

LVUER wrote:Ever play game titled "Shadow of Destiny" (PS2/PC) ?
Heh. What do you know. Yeah, I've played it. In fact, my brother just bought it for the PC yesterday, about a year after beating it on the PS2 (and I unwisely sold it).

Wikipedia says (but is it true?) that Time Hollow is the spiritual sequel to Shadow of Destiny (Oh, and if you're reading this in Japan or Europe, we're talking about Shadow of Memories, ok?)

Honestly, Shadow's voice acting is pretty much second-to-all-but-House-of-the-Dead. Not that Eike's all that believable based on body language alone. (He's the calmest dead guy EVER.) I liked Homunculus, though.

Unfortunately, I've gotten only to Chapter 3 or 4 personally. But the game is enjoyable. If you can find a copy of the game (probably hard to find), go for it. And maybe... someone could try to make the voices NOT SUCK in the PC version by replacing them. (Really - they're WMA files. You might have to replace the BG music, but if you can make Eike not sound like he doesn't really care, it might just be worth it.)
http://www.google.com/profiles/tizalka
Current Project:
Ninja TK

Air-Dragon
Regular

#11 Post by Air-Dragon »

I' haven't played it but it seems to be a nice start to future Vn on ds? Maybe it's just a beta test since it was so easy?
Out researching with Jiraiya.