Brass Restoration translated!

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

Brass Restoration translated!

#1 Post by Hime »

A Twincle Drop freeware VN, Brass Restoration has been translated by Yandere translations.
Check it out!

Myself I'm on Kouri's route right now and I'd love to hear other people's opinions about this game. :)

EusthEnoptEron

Re: Brass Restoration translated!

#2 Post by EusthEnoptEron »

I played Yui's route today and was quite surprised of it's quality. Okay, to be honest, I was expecting the VN for quite some time.
The dialogues are hilarious, although sometimes they got a bit on my nerves. The music fits the mood but got a bit repetitive, too.
But, is Minori's route really that short? When I tried to pursue her, it ended right on the day after valentine's.
Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

Hime
Veteran

#3 Post by Hime »

EusthEnoptEron wrote:
But, is Minori's route really that short? When I tried to pursue her, it ended right on the day after valentine's.
No... I just actually finished Minori's good ending and it was almost March by the time it ended. Are you sure you didn't get the 2/14 bad ending? Go Help -> About this software -> Ending list, should make it clear.
Kouri's and Minori's routes finished, Yui next up. :)

EusthEnoptEron

#4 Post by EusthEnoptEron »

Hime wrote:
EusthEnoptEron wrote:
No... I just actually finished Minori's good ending and it was almost March by the time it ended. Are you sure you didn't get the 2/14 bad ending? Go Help -> About this software -> Ending list, should make it clear.
Kouri's and Minori's routes finished, Yui next up. :)
Ah, thank you very much! I see, I mistakenly got on Yoshine's path and was irritated by the happy end CG (hand-in-hand).
Very well, Minori - watch out, I'm coming for you. ;)
Real programmers don't comment their code - it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#5 Post by Vatina »

Oooh another translation, and a free one too. Is it 18+?

Hime
Veteran

#6 Post by Hime »

Vatina wrote:Oooh another translation, and a free one too. Is it 18+?
No, I'm pretty sure it's not... At least I've gone through 2,5 without seeing any ero. :)

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#7 Post by Vatina »

Awesome!

Man, this is too tempting... I really shouldn't play it this close to a deadline, but it sounds like a great game xD
*Tries to resist*

Hime
Veteran

#8 Post by Hime »

I finished this last night!

So after completing all the endings, what I can say is that the game was really good for a freeware VN. Many of its aspects are near-professional and the game was long. The latter thing however I wouldn't only praise, because besides the interesting start and the emotional ends, the middle section often felt boring and stretched. Perhaps for the sake of the legendary god of wordcount (if you don't get the joke, just ignore it), but nonetheless that part wasn't as good. If they had cut 3-7 days from each route the game would probably have been a lot more fun to play. The characters were good but at the depressing points they seemed a little flat and stupid at times, even the main character.

However, the end of each route was very satisfying and often moving as well. The game has a lot of choices and offers a lot of challenge even for experienced VN players. Also, for some reason this game reminded me a lot of ONE... Perhaps the similarities between some characters (Minori and Mizuka for example) are one reason, but I think the two games have a lot in common in the general spirit and concept, too.

I'd say Brass Restoration isn't one of the best VNs I've played, but has a lot to give and some points I'd say even commercial VN makers should look at and learn from. :)

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by musical74 »

So you would say that it's worth downloading, Hime? (I HATE dialup when it comes to downloads!) I ewas thinking about downloading it till I saw it was a 40 MB DL (so 3 or 4 hours DL time UGH) BUT if you think it's worth it, I'll download it and give it a go :)
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Hime
Veteran

#10 Post by Hime »

Yeah, I really wish it had a torrent too... ^^; But I think in BR's case the size is reasonable looking at the amount of content (it really takes hours to play), so if you like the idea, download it, it's about as much as you really can get for 40 mbs. :)

MoonlightBomber
Regular
Completed: Gravure: A Super Network Wars Prelude, Nothing Happened series
Projects: Deadline, upcoming NaNoRenO 2020 project
Tumblr: moonlightbomber
Deviantart: moonlightbomber
itch: dagitabsoft

#11 Post by MoonlightBomber »

Completed Kouri's route just yesterday (and ended on Feb. 20). I can imagine her being voiced by Sandy Fox (Flonne from Disgaea, Mieu from Tales of the Abyss, just about any cute little girl/creature). And her route was filled with cutesy stuff that, honestly, doesn't taste like diabetes. And I got some of the references put in the VN (Ryo sure is an old-school anime and tokusatsu fan...).

And I agree with you guys. For a 40 MB download, you sure get the value of a commercial VN. I might try playing the other girls' routes when I have free time.
Korina Sanchez: Ex-sensei Mel, we've met again.
Mel Tiangco: I'm expecting this from my former student.
Korina Sanchez: I know all along the reason for your presence.
Mel Tiangco: Of course. Your hairbrush.
Korina Sanchez: Snatch it again? Well, you're mistaken. It's because my hairbrush's container is packed with security features. What's your say?
Mel Tiangco: If you can do security... (pause) then 120% of my strength will shatter it!

Excerpt from Super Network Wars Omega: Suikoden Pilipinas

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by musical74 »

WOW

That sums up playing it pretty well....

Gotten Yui's good ending and Yoshine's good ending....wow..this is DEEP!

The characters are all very well thought out and VERY detailed. There's hints of ero (Minori keeps making false assumptions!) but...ther women are FAR more compex than the other VNs I've played...need to try for the others.

I'd agree there's bits and pieces that need a little work but by in large, this is VERY GOOD...methinks the professsionals should take a good long look at Brass Restoration for ideas on character development...if anything, I'd say the most shallow is Ryo, and that's only because he's initally so shocked at losing his dream...beed to play this again, and again, and again...
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

sephiroth

#13 Post by sephiroth »

I would have paid for this game. If you do not play it, you are doing yourself a disservice. The writing is hilarious, but it also manages to be convincing when it needs to be. The artwork is not the best I've ever seen, but it is head and shoulders above anything else that I've seen that is free for download. The interaction was superb; much better than anything I've played that was coded in ONScripter. Everything was very intuitive. There is a ton of dialog, and the Senpai arc is very lengthy, but that honestly didn't bother me much at all. I have already hooked two of my friends on this game (they even beat it before I did), and neither of them have ever played a VN in their lives. Well done, Yandere.

Shinrei_Reheiner

#14 Post by Shinrei_Reheiner »

I went through Minori's route last month and I was satisfied!>w<
Guess I should've gone through the other routes as well...--;;
Well I'm off to finish the whole vn.(Thankfully it's free! =3)

(*Magically warps away*...but continues to fail.... )
"...I'll keep on going.No matter how tough things get, I will overcome it."(...I hope...)

Shinrei

#15 Post by Shinrei »

Finally finished playing through all the routes...And I'm feeling sleepy since it's already
11 pm here and I always wake up at 4 am...-.-
First thing that I want to say is that getting the good endings were hard for me without using a guide. If VNs are normally like this then I'd definitely be getting bad endings quickly.>.<;;
Also, Ryo is very funny(...Basically, he's weird.).^^

Some of my thoughts about the characters/routes:
Minori: Conclusion, Minori is an idiot.(I'm slightly kidding^^)Well, I think she was quite mature(?) in Yoshine-senpai's route. The only thing that I didn't really like in her route was that Ryo was getting really annoying... although I guess that's just part of the story. Her cooking is improved in this route. This route is about Ryo sorting out his feelings about Minori and his love for music from what I remember.
Yui: Yui is awesome!!>w< I didn't get bored seeing her punch
Ryo to the sky.=) I liked this route since I feel like Ryo is doing his best to help Yui
and wasn't really as pessimistic about his left arm. I think this route is about Ryo
figuring out if he can like Yui as a girl or only as a friend.

Kouri: 2 words, FOREHEAD CRUSHER!! I really liked this route.^^
Kouri is CUTE!! I found this route to be the shortest(or maybe I just found it too enjoyable
for me) and also the funniest due to Ryo's weirdness(having the choice to do a forehead
crusher almost everytime choices come up.). In this route Ryo finds out that he can be
with music in a way other than being a musician himself (By being with Kouri).

Yoshine-senpai: I really don't know what to think about her...
I guess she's kind and yet not. She's basically a good person but she'll do pretty much
anything to be with Ryo even if it's not something good. I somehow figured out from
the first time they showed Koutaro jealous that they'd end up fighting sometime in
this route and they did, but I never saw that consequence coming...I guess this
route is about leaving music behind and choosing to be with Yoshine.

With that, my conclusions are....
-Ryo's brain is as weird as hell.--;;
-Stay away from Mystery food X [Minori version(s)]. >.<
-Yui kicks ass! >w<
-Kouri is CUTE!! =3
-Yoshine-senpai is dangerous in her own way.^^;;
-They need to include a Tsubomi-chan route.T.T
It's a very wonderful(not to mention hilarious) VN and I salute Yandere for translating it.
(Sorry if I got some details wrong...)

(*Magically...warps...away*...but fails...because of sleepiness...)