Here's the scoop

For the rest of your otaku life.
Kinhoshi

Here's the scoop

#1 Post by Kinhoshi »

I enjoy anime. Pretty much all anime, but big robots, and romantic comedies (yea I'm a sap) the most. My neighbor (no he doesn't supply my anime I kind of got him into it in fact but he did just start buying some) just picked up the Rah-Xephon series and I am looking foward to it. Lets see my favorite anime... don't really have one but I really enjoy Neon Genesis Evangelion.

So.

What is your favorite anime genre?
Favorite anime?
And why?
How do you get your anime? (Not where [don't want any unnessessary plugs] but do you borrow, rent, or buy) just kind of out of curiousity.
"Tell me an idea and I'll tell you a story. Tell me a story and I'll tell you an idea. Tell me your name and I'll forget it in 2 minutes"

Gloranor
Regular

#2 Post by Gloranor »

Well, due to the fact that I only recently started to watch anime again (if you don't count some Captain Future >>audio<< cassetes) with the fansubbed versions of Wind, Kanon and Air... Ren'ai-ish anime.

Favourite Anime... not really sure, maybe Kanon (closely followed by Air), or vice versa
Why? I don't really know... :roll:
I guess with fansubbed Anime there is no need to specify how one gets them ;-)

Grey
Veteran

Re: Here's the scoop

#3 Post by Grey »

Kinhoshi wrote:I enjoy anime. Pretty much all anime, but big robots, and romantic comedies (yea I'm a sap) the most.
Have you seen any Full Metal Panic? If not you should check it out, romantic comedy, and big robots. I recommend it :D

Kinhoshi

#4 Post by Kinhoshi »

In regards to FMP I have read the (first two books of the) Manga but I haven't had the chance (or money) to see the anime yet. What I have read looks awesome and I have been trying to get my hands on it.

Anyone seen any Full Metal Alchemist? I've heard it's great but I am not sure I really want to spend any money on (another) horrible anime. I have a coupld funny stories on anime that I thought would be good, interesting, or just plain entertaining when I took it home I was very wrong. Well good to keep hearing from everyone I hope to see some more.
"Tell me an idea and I'll tell you a story. Tell me a story and I'll tell you an idea. Tell me your name and I'll forget it in 2 minutes"

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#5 Post by JackalAndromeda »

Kinhoshi wrote: Anyone seen any Full Metal Alchemist?
This is a really fantastic series in my opinion. It's pretty heavy on the drama, but there are also a lot of funny bits too.

I watch a lot of different types of anime. I'm a sucker for magical girl shows though. Card Captor Sakura is one of my favorite series, for sentimental reasons. Something about it really appeals to me.

Some other series that I've liked are Martian Sucessor Nadesico (which has it's fair share of giant robots), FLCL, Fruits Basket (Romantic Comedy/drama), and Air has been really good so far (I'm only 11 episodes into it).

I buy a lot of my anime. I used to rent most of it, but my sister gets a discount at her job which sells DVDs, so... =3

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

Re: Here's the scoop

#6 Post by mikey »

Kinhoshi wrote: 1. What is your favorite anime genre?
2. Favorite anime?
3. And why?
1. The genre would be girls & guns, I normally like James Bond and other pure action movies, so I like those kinds of anime. Unfortunately I also dislike mecha/robots, so there's hardly anything to choose from besides Gun Smith Cats. Definitely not some Ghost in the shell-like sci-fi action.

2. Najica

3. It has a lot of action on various locations, several nice ideas and settings and is really fast-paced, so in this respect, I'm willing to forgive the androids. I kind of wish that movie didn't have so many pantyshots, because I'd avoid statements like "... and because there's panties". :roll:

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#7 Post by chronoluminaire »

Full Metal Alchemist is *excellent*. I also like Full Metal Panic, and it comes highly recommended to anyone who likes Evangelion or RahXephon. If any FMP fans like romantic comedy but haven't seen the sequel Fumoffu, go see it now, it's superb.

mikey, have you seen any Noir? It might be quite up your street...

My favourite genre is romantic comedy, but very closely followed by mysterious drama where there's lots of backplot that gradually gets revealed.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#8 Post by mikey »

chronoluminaire wrote:mikey, have you seen any Noir? It might be quite up your street...
Oh yes, together with AIKa, it's my favorite as well. I kind of like Najica best because as someone said... Noir + Aika = Najica ^_^

As for mecha, I seem to only accept RahXephon (no, no EVA for me, I just like Misato), and Full Metal Panic (not Fumoffu though :( ).

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#9 Post by Sai »

What is your favorite anime genre?
Hmm... not sure if I have one but probably comedy. I love stuff that is basically full of laughs like Azumanga Daioh, Hale nochi Guu etc. It's fun. And Japan seems to often have such a wild sense of humour in their animation. The good ones at least.

After that... Fantasy if that's a genre and perhaps Romance... because I like fantastical stuff, I don't mind down-to-earth stories, but I think the limitless possibilities of alternate worlds and so on is fun to watch and as for romance well I think characters are key to a story, in terms of how involved you become and engrossed in their plight etc. so that kind of strong bond between people can really strengthen a story but... not to the point of it all being the total focus. Fruits Basket has themes of romance but it's mixed in with the fantasy and comedy and is a nice balance.

Sci-fi I'm fine with too (it's similar to fantasy really... unless it involves staying on one spaceship 24/7 ) but it really depends. I'm not into mecha, I'll watch stuff with mecha in it but I would not watch a series for the mecha and if the mecha aspect becomes dominate, like lots of gobbledegook about the intricate workings of the robot spanning long lengths of the narrative (thinking of the Candidate for Goddess manga...) then I get bored.

Hmm lots of genres but yeah... there's some.
Favorite anime?
Don't have one..... Have ones I've enjoyed a lot but no favourite.
To name some of my top ones:
Martian Successor Nadesico
Card Captor Sakura
Kino's Journey
And why?
Martian Successor Nadesico - Very funny series. Entertaining throughout.
Card Captor Sakura - Lots of fun and loved the huge variety both in terms of clothing and monsters and methods etc. Great characters.
Kino's Journey - Very different and thought-provoking series.
How do you get your anime?
Fansubs (mainly using Streamload) and ordering online, mostly from online stores in America or Canada (selection here isn't that great, but whatever I can buy in the UK I order online from there.... not much in offline stores though in terms of animation).
For manga I buy from my nearest shop.