The Rise and Fall of Gemini

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

The Rise and Fall of Gemini

#1 Post by lunasspecto »

Hey, all! AlphaProspector (now Primum Mobile) and I were on the brink of releasing this short little kinetic novel before I entered the 2008 IFComp and the academic year started. Well, now I'm proud to finally announce version 1.00 for Windows, Linux, Mac, and the iLiad!

Anyway, this is a very short story called "The Rise and Fall of Gemini" that takes place in an (ever so slightly) alternate universe, and the events are inspired by certain stories from the early days of NASA, but there is absolutely no historical accuracy intended.

You can download the packages using these MediaFire links: Only the Windows package has been tested so far.

Well, enjoy the finished product and let us know what you think. Also, once you've played through it, note that the ending is
a sly comment on the ending of Starlit Sky.
Peace,
Kazuki Mishima
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

Re: The Rise and Fall of Gemini

#2 Post by Guest »

Now THAT's what I call a short story. My favorite among the renpy shorts so far.

Dusty
Regular

#3 Post by Dusty »

Well, I finished it.
I haven't played Starlit Sky yet, so...
And just some general comments... I liked the ending.
It felt (sort of unnerving?), watching the stars burn out.
And because I thought Narrator loved Him romantically, the Gemini/twin thing seemed strange. But that's just me reading things in which shouldn't be there. :oops:
You can blame all those literature classes School makes me take for that.

lunasspecto
Regular

#4 Post by lunasspecto »

Dusty: Well, I think that, without realizing it, I wrote a story about
a person (the narrator) who doesn't know how to define his relationship with somebody he cares about (the fellow astronaut). It's love, sure, but is that brotherly love, romantic love (which is socially unacceptable), or professional admiration? And in the end, he can't hold the relationship together because he can't decide what it is.
Thanks for the feedback!

Peace,
Kazuki Mishima

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#5 Post by F.I.A »

I gather that
the narrator launched himself to space alone to prevent the dream that might be a premonition?
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

Dusty
Regular

#6 Post by Dusty »

F.I.A wrote:I gather that
the narrator launched himself to space alone to prevent the dream that might be a premonition?
I thought that
the dream had already come true, and that made Narrator suicidally depressed because Narrator killed Him through a launching accident?

lunasspecto
Regular

#7 Post by lunasspecto »

Dusty's theory is closer to what I had in mind.

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#8 Post by DrakeNavarone »

When you say very short, you really mean it. But still, I found it quite likable. Here's hoping for a longer piece next game!

( And I'm very honored about the Starlit Sky reference. Praise is always nice, but after a time, it begins to get repeated. Having one of my works inspire or referenced in another in any capacity is infinitely more precious. So thank you for that too! )
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

lunasspecto
Regular

#9 Post by lunasspecto »

DrakeNavarone: I know what you're saying. I'd much rather inspire other artists than be praised for my art.

As for the next game, I have an idea that I might write up as a script sometime, but it would be long, have a branching plot, and belong in a different genre altogether.

lunasspecto
Regular

#10 Post by lunasspecto »

Sorry to bump this old thread, but something bizarre just ocurred regarding this project. The Macintosh build has been taken down by MediaFire because of a vague copyright claim. This is disturbing to me because I and my collaborator were very careful about the licenses of the resources we used, and used only resources explicitly licenced for unrestricted alteration and redistribution.

I'll post text from the e-mail here:
The file "RFoG1.00-mac.zip" has been suspended
Dear MediaFire User:

MediaFire has received notification under the provisions of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) that your usage of a file is allegedly infringing on the file creator's copyright protection.
The file named RFoG1.00-mac.zip is identified by the key (x1mdmjzvq1b).
As a result of this notice, pursuant to Section 512(c)(1)(C) of the DMCA, we have suspended access to the file.
The reason for suspension was:
Dear Sir/Madam We have reason to believe that the list of links attached to the bottom of this letter which are currently hosted on your servers are pointing to material belonging to our client: Client: XFC Inc. Address: 6170 w lake mead blvd. #93 , las vegas nv 89108 Tel: N/A Email: dmca@nubiles.net Website: http://www.anilos.com/ These links have been illegally shared with none paying users and other members of the public. Hereby we would like to request proper investigation of this mater. You can contact us via any of the means provided on our website: http://www.degban.com/contact.html Degban Ltd. is a Multimedia Copyright Protection Company and represents among others XFC Inc. details of which can be obtained via contacting our client directly or visiting the following webpage: http://www.anilos.com/dmca/A1.pdf Please note that ignoring this notice can result in concerned parties seeking judgment from court of Law against you or your partners. The information provided here is correct to best our our knowledge at the time of discovery of the links. Degban Ltd may not be held liable for any alteration/modification/evolution/changes to the content or nature of the links attached hereunder by the recipient of this notice or any other third party. 2012-02-29 11:21:23 Best Regards Anti Piracy Team Degban Ltd. Suite 12412 2nd Floor 145-157 St John Street London EC1V 4PY Tel: +44(0)2031292590 Fax: +44(0)2033573100 *********************************************************** Your use and access to content of this communication is strictly subjected to compliance with the terms and disclaimers expressed henceforth. CONFIDENTIALITY: This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that disclosing, copying, distributing or taking any action in reliance on the contents of this information is strictly prohibited. The information disclosed in this letter is confidential and is solely intended only for the receipt and must not be shared with anyone else through any means including republication on the web. CONTENT INTEGRITY: E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. Under any circumstances a printed hard-copy signed or sealed by Degban Ltd. will always prevail over the electronic version.
Information about the party that filed the report:
Company Name: Degban Ltd.
Contact Address:
Contact Name: Anti Piracy Team
Contact Phone:
Contact Email: antipiracy-node219@degban.com

Copyright infringement violates MediaFire’s Terms of Service. MediaFire accounts that experience multiple incidents of alleged copyright infringement without viable counterclaims may be terminated.
If you feel this suspension was in error, please submit a counterclaim by following the process below.
EDIT: I did file a counterclaim. Though I slipped up and wrote the wrong building number in my mailing address.
Last edited by lunasspecto on Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crocosquirrel
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mobile Food Madness, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Academy Daze
Organization: Polymorphic Games

#11 Post by Crocosquirrel »

File your counterclaim. Nothing in this piece has anything to do with them.
I'm going to get off my soap-box now, and let you get back to your day.

Academy Daze- Back in production! Complete with ecchi-ness ;)