JEdit Improvement

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

JEdit Improvement

#1 Post by PyTom »

This thread is to discuss ways to improve JEdit. You should post here if you:

- Have a problem with JEdit that you want fixed.
- Have a fix, tip, or trick with JEdit.

You should not post here if you:

- Want to complain about how much better SciTE was.

But specific questions like "I could do x in SciTE, how do I do x in JEdit?" are welcome.

Comment Selection, Uncomment Selection

I'll start off with a couple of things. The first are a pair of JEdit macros I wrote. The first comments a line (or all of the lines in the selection), while the second is the equivalent uncomment code. I wrote these in response to people noting that JEdit doesn't have a nice uncomment selection command.

I've attached them as files to this post. You can install them by putting them in the renpy-<whatever>/jedit/macros directory, and then restart JEdit. You can then use them by picking Macros > Comment Selection or Macros > Uncomment Selection as necessary.

These will be included with Ren'Py 6.9.

On-the-fly Spell Checking (English-only)

You can use JEdit to spell-check your game on the fly. To do this, you'll need to install the VoxSpell plugin:

- Plugins > Plugin Manager
- Install Tab
- Check VoxSpell
- Hit the install button.
- Close out of the plugin manager.

Now, to start spell checking, just go to Plugins > VoxSpell > Start Spell Checking.
Attachments

[The extension bsh has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

[The extension bsh has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

blakjak
Veteran

Re: JEdit Improvement

#2 Post by blakjak »

these are a nice plus, thank you.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#3 Post by Vatina »

The main reason that made me go away from jEdit was the comment/uncomment thing - so this could be useful :) If I run into anything else, then I'll mention it.

Preludian
Regular

#4 Post by Preludian »

I actually like JEdit. Only thing is that the text antialiasing isn't really crisp like I'm used to. I set it to subpixel now, it's better than standard, none is sharper but makes the letters too thin.

Thanks for the scripts. They come in very handy.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#5 Post by Counter Arts »

Is there anyway that I can get Jedit to start up really fast? Everytime I get a traceback or something else in a runtime error, it has to start up if I don't have it open.

Also, is there anyway I could make it stop opening new windows when I just want to use tabs?
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

AlphaProspector
Regular
Completed: The Circular Gate
Projects: Yume no Sono, Hoshi Agari, The Circular Gate, Koenchu Yonogi Seiyu Story (こえんちゅ!)
Organization: Primum Soft
Soundcloud: Primum Soundblast

#6 Post by AlphaProspector »

Counter Arts wrote:Is there anyway that I can get Jedit to start up really fast? Everytime I get a traceback or something else in a runtime error, it has to start up if I don't have it open.

Also, is there anyway I could make it stop opening new windows when I just want to use tabs?
This. JEdit takes its time to load.

Another thing: the handy bar that has the icons to save, open and such... For some reason it's missing now and I cannot find the option or the way to make it appear again. Any help here will be appreciated.
Enjoy tranquillity. Paint reality with the colours of your imagination.

Primum Soft Website and Blog

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

I recommend leaving a jEdit window open in the background. Starting it up from scratch takes a while, but once it's open it's fast.

To enable the toolbar, go to Utilities > Global Options > Toolbar.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by monele »

Just a wondering : whenever there's traceback or error, I get it in my default text editor, EditPad. I like it this way but I was wondering *why* since I see most people get their errors in the default Ren'Py editor ô_o

Jake
Support Hero

#9 Post by Jake »

Counter Arts wrote:Is there anyway that I can get Jedit to start up really fast?
This is my main complaint with it, as well. I'm in the habit of closing applications when I'm not using them, particularly since every other text editor I've used takes about a tenth of the time to start up.

But it seems to be pretty unavoidable; I don't think I remember ever seeing a Java app that starts up much quicker than that.

Maybe if it looked more like an IDE and less like a text editor I'd have a different approach... I should probably look into what features it does offer in that direction.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#10 Post by mugenjohncel »

Before:
Default JEdit text is way too small... solved

New problem:
After adjusting text size... JEdit reverts back to it's former default text size after closing and reopening...

Is there a way to make JEdit remember the settings I made?

Thanks in advance...

"POOF" (Disappears)

Preludian
Regular

#11 Post by Preludian »

works here, did you apply first and then pressed ok?

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#12 Post by mugenjohncel »

It goes like this...

I open Ren'py then JEdit... adjust settings, edit and close.

I open JEdit and JEdit remembers settings but when I turn off PC and turn it on again... it reverts back to dinky text...

Edit:
I think I already figured what's wrong :oops: ... (Bangs head in the desk)

No more problems here...

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by EwanG »

I know I have a rather long script for Camp Handiba (and it's getting longer by the day), but how worried should I be that as I do my editing I quite often get "Array Out of Bounds" errors. I haven't noticed any file corruption (yet), and I always make sure to do a save as soon as I see one. But am I setting myself up for trouble? Is this a gentle way of telling me it's time to get comfortable with using multiple script files?
Working on something... might even be something good :D

$inker
Projects: My First Visual Novel... Yeah!

#14 Post by $inker »

I figured I would throw out a typical noob question since I don't see it here already...
Where can I find JEdit plugins? A.K.A. "I'm honestly too busy typing my script to do a google search... :lol: "
-$inker
~$inker~

vlint
Regular

#15 Post by vlint »

Is there a way to run command-line options from within JEdit? If so, I wouldn't mind using it so much instead of SciTE for this. I mean, a way to start your VN from within JEdit (like you can with SciTE—although I don't remember if the Ren'Py edition of SciTE was designed particularly for that).

Another issue I have with JEdit is that links to it from within visual novels (such as the Ren'Py demo) don't open it. I suspect it is because my Java installation isn't in my path, however, since I use Linux and I installed Java the legal way (that way you have to do the path manually, and I haven't figured out how to do that on Linux, yet). So, it would be nice if there were a way to make it recognize this.