Pia Carrot PC-FX translation done

Discuss visual novels and story-based games that didn't originate on this forum.
gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Pia Carrot PC-FX translation done

#1 Post by gekiganwing »

Three years after plans to fan translate Pia Carrot for the PC-FX began, the project is basically done. All that might be corrected in the future are small bugs/errors. You can learn more about the game, and find a link to its translation patch, through http://projects.mattsmessyroom.com/welcometopiacarrot/ . There's also an English language FAQ at GameFAQs... for the Saturn version, but according to reviews on Honestgamers.com , there's not too many differences between the two versions. Anyway, just search GameFAQs for the title "Pia Carrot e Youkoso."

I've been looking forward to this project's completion, because 1) I like simulations, and 2) I'm okay with games from a decade ago. After all, I have quite a few 16-bit and 32-bit general audience games in my collection, and I've never been opposed to games with slightly old art styles.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

Re: Pia Carrot PC-FX translation done

#2 Post by Blue Lemma »

Awesome :)

But where can you even find legit copies of that game anymore? :cry:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by monele »

Never played the Pia Carrot series but I kept hearing they were very good. So... what's so cool about them? What does it play like? From the description is sounds like a True Love or Tokimeki Memorial but taking place in a café/restaurant (which would be pretty cool!)?

flowerthief
Regular

#4 Post by flowerthief »

^ Yep, pretty much. I only played the first one briefly, but I remember it being an actual dating sim in which you build stats and plan your daily activities in pursuit of a girl(s) out of a given selection. PC-FX had a lot of games like that. It's neat that some people are translating them. Ok, one of them.

edit: actually, I'm probably getting confused with PC-98, but I'm sure the game is the same.
Customizable datesim in beta! Need testers!
Idolcraft - RPG-style bishoujo simulation

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

I got a game disc through eBay a while ago, once the translation project entered editing phase. But if you're not willing to wait for the precise version of Pia Carrot to show up there (Saturn and PC versions won't work), then consider the various services which appear for the keyword "yahoo japan auctions." Some are easy to use, others less so. For instance, it's a little challenging to search Rinkya for some specific products...

Wondering about the PC-98 versus the PC-FX? They are different. W'pedia talks about the former here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEC_PC-9801 -- and the latter here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-FX

EDIT: The Magicengine FX emulator requires registration in order to work for more than five minutes at a time. But I have been able to use save states (F1, F2, etc keys) in order to keep going.

#6 Post by Guest »

Never played the Pia Carrot series but I kept hearing they were very good. So... what's so cool about them?
The general sentiment is that they were good back in the day, but fail to hold up well. That goes for F&C/Cocktail Soft as a whole.

At any rate, appeal lies in the artwork, cheery atmosphere, and simulation elements.
Wondering about the PC-98 versus the PC-FX? They are different. W'pedia talks about the former here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEC_PC-9801 -- and the latter here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PC-FX
He's referring to the game, not the platform. The PC-FX version is simply an enhanced, fully voiced version of the original.

Rezznik
Regular
Projects: Aquae, Consonance

#7 Post by Rezznik »

Ugggh....as much as I want to play this; I'm going to have a hard time going back to 'True Love' style graphics......especially since I've been spoiled
by my nex-gen consoles and Princess Waltz ><;....well that and I really have no frakkin' clue where to find the game.
Online Portfolio:
Background Artist, Musical Supervisor, QA Assurance: Aquae ~Crystal Clear Waters~
To those who are wondering what happened to Consonance, it has been put aside for the time being due to my job situation.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#8 Post by Blue Lemma »

Well, I found a new copy on eBay from a reputable seller... so I got it >_<
I wouldn't normally bother, but it's supposed to be a classic, so... :|

*crosses fingers*
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )