Shinsei (A Kinetic Novel)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

Shinsei (A Kinetic Novel)

#1 Post by lordcloudx »

Shinsei is a very short, minimalist, non-branching visual novel created within about four hours. At first, I had other intentions, which I don't really care to mention, in creating this visual novel. However, after much deliberation and guided by some insightful opinions from the IRC regulars - I edited out some inappropriate references and in a manner of speaking, "defanged" the story to bring you this short, unpolished and very abstract piece.

While some might be turned off by the subject matter, being very community-centric and perhaps just a tad condescending, I believe this VN has enough redeeming factors for a place here in the completed games section.

If anything, it's a good example of what one individual can accomplish within a short span of time using limited resources with the Ren'Py engine and from a broader perspective, just how versatile and unique Visual Novels can be as a medium of expression.

In terms of substance, perhaps some might find that a short, abstract VN such as this one is severely lacking. Yet, I would like to believe otherwise. One of my guiding principles exclusive only to Visual Novel writing is to leave many words left unspoken in order to allow the over-all elements of the medium to shine through in a sort of orchestrated harmony.

To expound further, as this VN is read by a variety of people from all walks of life -I believe that the experience that it imparts will be quite unique for each individual. This is the power of abstract, open-ended prose - it allows multiple interpretations and feels much more personal than a vividly written series of events.

That aside, calling Shinsei a story might not even be entirely accurate. As one commenter for the original version puts it, "Aren't there 0 characters?" I do not feel compelled to answer this question in this introductory text, because I feel that it might ruin the experience for potential readers. However, for simplicity's sake, let's assume that Shinsei is indeed a story while not being too technical about the definition of what exactly comprises a story.

At its core, Shinsei exists to impart a message. Yet, this author finds that the message is too complex to be put into concrete words. Thus, I chose the medium of the Visual Novel to embody that message. So, from its creator's perspective - this VN is the tangible form of a message that can only be said with words beyond words - that is to say, utilizing almost all the senses of the human body, barring the sense of touch, which the technological level of the VN medium prohibits.

To address the issue of word count, which to my dismay is given too much emphasis in evaluating English Language Visual Novels by no less than our own forum of creators; Shinsei is unique in the sense that it deliberately tries to be short - to cut out the words spoken in between and to a certain degree, even the existence of the characters. Yet, from an exceedingly open-minded, philosophical point of view, It would not be an exaggeration to claim that this VN contains more than 5000k of words left unspoken with 150 characters and 200 possible endings. Then again, even this view might be limited, putting an exact number to the possibilities is in itself restrictive to Shinsei's actual potential.

Alas, now I have rambled on for too long and effectively, exceeded the actual word count of the uploaded Visual Novel with this introductory text. That said, please read and enjoy this story while it lasts.

For those with HD displays... I have a message for you after you try this game at least once. :twisted:
Attachments
Shinsei-win.rar
(6.87 MiB) Downloaded 818 times
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

Re: Shinsei (A Kinetic Novel)

#2 Post by Aashtarsrain »

Er, well... honestly, I gave it a try tonight, but I'm afraid it's too abstract in an "avant-garde" way for someone as narrow-minded as me, sorry ! :| I'll try to repent some other time.

risingbamboobanana
Regular
Projects: On hold, sharpening skills.

#3 Post by risingbamboobanana »

simply put: hmm.

not necessarily in a good way, though not necessarily in a bad way either. just hmm. i do like the use of colours and effects however. good timing (:
A little birdy in the sky
Dropped a poopie in my eye
I did not scream, I did not cry
But thanked the Lord that cows don't fly!

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#4 Post by Watercolorheart »

What the hell was that? :lol: I went into it with my curiosity intrigued, but all that I can deduce from it is that:

The game creator asks God for guidance.
God mocks him.
A visual novel is made or ... acquired.

I suppose I probably won't get any answers.

And I feel terrible that I even let the beeping sound make me laugh. "Dd-d!" "Dd-d!" "Dd-d!"
I'm not even the same person anymore

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#5 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

sparou

#6 Post by sparou »

Well, I expected that to be totally retarded, but it was mildly interesting. The meaning wasn't really all that abstract. It had moments vaguely reminiscent of the part where evangelion lost their budget and started pulling morbidly fascinating things out of their anus, however. And I say that in a complimentary way.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#7 Post by Samu-kun »

What the hell!? The first post was NOT so long when I downloaded this...

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#8 Post by lordcloudx »

LOL! Now it is. I can make it even loonger if you want... poor liddle Samu.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#9 Post by Samu-kun »

<_<

>_>

*whomps lordcloudx with wooden starfish*

...*runs out!*

nice_tea

#10 Post by nice_tea »

somehow i guess i got the message but aside from that i found this kn to be really funny. still, i don't really know why... now i have to go and wash that grin from my face

Showsni
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Showsni »

It's a little depressing. However hard you try, you can't exceed your boundaries, but should be happy with what you can do? Something like that?

nice_tea

#12 Post by nice_tea »

congratulations, you got ending 148. now that i think about it, lordcloudx was right when he(?[he is a lord after all, so i guess "he" should be correct]) said, that there are 200+ endings to this. taking this into consideration i have to apologize about my earlier post, stating that i found the message :wink:

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#13 Post by JQuartz »

Hmm...It was a bit confusing the first time I played it cause I can't determine who's speaking. Then I realized that the notes did tell the method to determine the the character. Talking to God and then acquire OLEVN and sacred something was kind of funny. But it wasn't too memorable though. It was a pleasant but forgettable experience. I guess I always end up with these types of games since I don't download anything that's too big.
Anyway, from what I experienced, I think the story is about a hero is getting fed up with working with the team he have no authority over which direction the VN is going so he decided to learn the way to use sacred VN programming engine and form a one man team. He made a number of VN and saw how beautiful his works are. Am I over analyzing the story?
Just in case anyone misunderstood, pleasant but forgettable experience is good experience. It not a insult or criticism.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

Maverynthia
Regular

#14 Post by Maverynthia »

I kind of got out of it that big corps. didn't make the games the main person wanted so they found something like Ren'Py and made their own.

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#15 Post by Der Tor »

Well... i loved all your games so far and i allways liked the messege that you tried to convey... some of your games where just so wonderfull with so much inner meaning... but this one? It appears to have an inner meaning and a messege hidden somewhere - but honestly... this is the first time that i totaly don't get it... even after reading through it like 5 times - i still don't get it. I don't only not get the messege and the inner meaning - i actually don't get no nothing - i don't understand a single sentence. :(

I can only guess that maybe that WAS your point - but that would make it very much pointless, wouldn't it? :?