3D Studio Max Thread (Attempts + Free BG's)

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: 3D Studio Max Thread (Attempts + Free BG's)

#16 Post by EwanG »

If you're looking for a free 3D package that's good for backgrounds, it doesn't hurt to look at Google's offering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp

There are some 2D renderers for it, and I've considered on more than one occasion trying to spend time learning it since you can grab stuff from Google Earth to model with it (and vice versa). Of course that would be time I'm not writing, and so far my plate is full enough with that :D
Working on something... might even be something good :D

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#17 Post by sake-bento »

There's nothing wrong with using Photoshop to enhance what you've rendered elsewhere.

From what I remember at DigiPen, there should be three basic light sources that are lower on the plane (and less bright), and the main light source is higher and brighter.

Jake
Support Hero

#18 Post by Jake »

EwanG wrote:If you're looking for a free 3D package that's good for backgrounds, it doesn't hurt to look at Google's offering:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SketchUp
As it goes, I wasn't impressed by the renderers, and Sketchup seems to me to be far better at blocking out the basics than it is at adding detail. It seems to be missing some obvious useful tools for high-detail editing.

However, I do find that it's a good, quick and easy tool to use to make the large shapes, and thus it's very good for producing outline drawings of 3D spaces in perspective which can then be drawn or painted over.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#19 Post by monele »

When I see the touched-up versions, I wonder why you even bother with 3D lighting :). Ok ok, it would probably go faster... but I don't think you'd ever manage that kind of *very* 2D and artistic rendition. And if you do, well... *future-grovels*

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#20 Post by Midnighticequeen »

I think your a lot better than you give yourself credit for and you have already come a long way in a short time. And I like your pictures by the way, especially the coffee shop picture.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#21 Post by LVUER »

Mugen, really, your drawing (both 3D and 2D) is good. Well may be not as good as "some" people, but hey... there's sky above the sky, and your pictures are obviously better than some here. Be proud with yourself.

BTW, may I know the title and the author 3DSMAX book you use? I want to buy it ^_^

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#22 Post by chronoluminaire »

It's fun to read your accounts of wrestling with 3D Studio Max, and I'm very impressed :shock: with the results you end up with after Photoshop! Awesome backgrounds.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#23 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#24 Post by monele »

I don't know 3D Studio Max, so I'm basing this off Blender 3D : for the "triangles" of light, the problem is that in a regular render, light is applied uniformally to a single polygon. As it stands, the wall behind the light is made of big square (or triangle) polygons (it seems). In Blender, the solution to this is to make the wall much more detailed. One "destructive" possibility is to use some subdivision tool to double, triple, ... the number of polygons (some smooth the shape in the process, which is good for spheres, others don't, which is good for cubes or planes). By "destructive", I mean that the object is changed forever and you now have to deal with thousands of facets and they have to be displayed in the editor. Hopefully, 3DSM has a way to apply tools just like you would apply effects to Photoshop layers : it's never "applied" forever and thus can be set to subdivide a lot for renders but keep things at lowpoly when editing.

As far as I know, the more polys you give, the smoother lighting will work. I don't remember if Ambient Occlusion works outside of polygons or not... it might be another solution. Good luck!

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#25 Post by mugenjohncel »

- CONTENT NO LONGER RELEVANT -
Last edited by mugenjohncel on Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#26 Post by monele »

I'm sure he uses some radiosity/ambient occlusion. All the people who make architectural pictures do it so it looks as real as possible.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... arison.jpg

http://www.secondpicture.com/tutorials/ ... s_max.html
There, some tutorial :). Apparently it's all about using a specific renderer and setting some parameters. At least to begin with.

electric
Regular

#27 Post by electric »

What you've achieved in so little time is impressive. Yeah your renders aren't awesome, but progress is good. 3dsmax is tough to master, but gives you lots of freedom to create. Are you using mental ray or scanline renderer ?