Ren py support for the psp or nds

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Preludian
Regular

Re: Ren py support for the psp or nds

#46 Post by Preludian »

oh I'll remind you, telling you how easy flash and nds would have been :mrgreen:

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#47 Post by EwanG »

Preludian wrote:oh I'll remind you, telling you how easy flash and nds would have been :mrgreen:
Can't speak for NDS, but I can assure you Flash WOULD NOT be an easy port. Nor a particularly profitable one. Goodness knows I have no interest to go back to that environment again. If I can get a game that has passed 100K plays, has almost a 4 out of 5 stars rating, and still have only made $20 for my two months effort... yeesh!
Working on something... might even be something good :D

Asceai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: a battle engine

#48 Post by Asceai »

Yeah uh, I don't really see how porting a full C(?) + Python app over to Flash is something 'easy'.

Then again, I suspect Ren'py might also have performance issues on PSP and NDS. Something like the Pandora would work, though - heck, Ren'py would probably run natively =p

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#49 Post by jack_norton »

PyTom wrote:I'm still planning on porting Ren'Py over, though... largely since I suspect the port will be relatively easy.
(Heh. Remind me I said that when I'm actually doing the port.)
Well, the porting yes. But having it run at decent speed... just an example, I had to remove all the oggs because it was making the loading time around 1:30m.
I had to remove a background noise (crowd ogg) during the match (in my soccer game) otherwise was too slow.
Etc etc. I suspect you'll be having lot of headaches while developing it :mrgreen:

BTW EwanG a friend of mine found the link to the game:
http://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... 69235&mt=8
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#50 Post by jack_norton »

EwanG wrote:
Preludian wrote:oh I'll remind you, telling you how easy flash and nds would have been :mrgreen:
Can't speak for NDS, but I can assure you Flash WOULD NOT be an easy port. Nor a particularly profitable one. Goodness knows I have no interest to go back to that environment again. If I can get a game that has passed 100K plays, has almost a 4 out of 5 stars rating, and still have only made $20 for my two months effort... yeesh!
I plan to try again flash with a different approach, using portals to have a free demo and then SELL something on my site (not just free crap+ads, you earn nothing with it).
But won't be a VN for sure, the flash market really hates them... :roll:
computer games

Preludian
Regular

#51 Post by Preludian »

If I can get a game that has passed 100K plays, has almost a 4 out of 5 stars rating, and still have only made $20 for my two months effort... yeesh!
:shock: yiieerk! But rest assure, my comment was more meant as humorous reply. My daughter has some nds games and most of them require you to read more or less and the text is often much too small. But apart that I still think - done good - that the ds could THE platform for vn's.

And about Flash, well, I think of two possibilities for its use, 1. for online demos 2. for people who would want to play during working times, like those small quick'n dirty games. But it would be essential, that the savings would be saved online too, so that the person could continue the vn at home or in the cafe...

But I have no hope of actually having RenPy ported in the nearer or middle future to either nds or flash. :cry: :cry: :wink:

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#52 Post by jack_norton »

People working with XNA (xbox creators community) posted some good CR (conversion rates). No official sales figures yet, but the general impression is that the games sell very well (since is not crowded like iphone for now) even if the community is small (so less downloads).
If porting the python engine to XNA (it uses C#) is even easier than a iphone port (I think pytom said that some time ago), could probably be worth thinking about it.
Also with a xbox360 you wouldn't sure have all those crazy hardware limitations like on a iphone (screen size, CPU processing power, etc).
If Tom manages to make renpy work on both iphone/XNA, I think he could easily sell the whole package for $250-500 to many devs.
There's lot of competition with engines like Unity3d or PTK (the one I used to make pc/mac/iphone game), but I'd prefer to program only in python from now on, rather than use C/C++.
computer games

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#53 Post by DaFool »

If you want a totally open market I think its good to target platforms aimed at the developing market.
Sure OLPC wasn't successful, but it gave rise to netbooks, which are the cheapest computers, but still can play renpy games.

The next step would be low-cost gaming consoles:
http://www.zeeboinc.com/#console

As an independent developer, you'd only be competing against has-been hand-me-down AAA titles from the previous gen (and I'm pretty sure the gamers in BRIC are smart enough and probably have played them as pirated copies anyway), so anything totally fresh and new for the platform would be welcomed. I doubt they can be as snotty as Microsoft or Apple, so indie devs could stand to gain.

I mean just looking at the specs, it looks to be like a desktop version of the NDS (ARM architecture), without the Nintendo fancy schmancy.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#54 Post by jack_norton »

That link was interesting, however there's no public developer info. Usually that means is quite complex to get in (maybe I'm wrong). I am speaking about iphone/XNA because they have opened doors to single individuals like me who just want to port their existing games to their platform. I'm surely not going to develop games specific for those two, would be a financial suicide since sales can't surely compete against pc/mac right now :)
computer games

Jake
Support Hero

#55 Post by Jake »

jack_norton wrote:sales can't surely compete against pc/mac right now :)
This is the thing that I understand the least about MS's XNA push. They made it so difficult to get XNA set up reliably on a regular person's computer that it's impracticable to distribute XNA apps for the PC, but it would have been so obvious a way to draw indie devs into supporting their console platform, by making it easy to produce a title for both Windows PC and XBox 360 at the same time...
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#56 Post by killdream »

The Zeebo SDK it's open-source, and built over BREW 4.0.2 (that I don't think it's free .-.). So, you just need to register in the site and download it. The console specs, btw, are just like the old PlayStation, and games have a limit of 50mb (featured games can exceed it, though).

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#57 Post by jack_norton »

Jake wrote: This is the thing that I understand the least about MS's XNA push. They made it so difficult to get XNA set up reliably on a regular person's computer that it's impracticable to distribute XNA apps for the PC, but it would have been so obvious a way to draw indie devs into supporting their console platform, by making it easy to produce a title for both Windows PC and XBox 360 at the same time...
Yes indeed. Well right now the market is changing a lot. Many new platform and consoles are appearing. However, I think the only safe bet would be webgames.
This because on all consoles, you're tied to the hardware owner and you have no freedom! you can't make a hentai game on xbox... for example ;)
But of course, not ads-based games :p Ad-based webgames (right now there is only flash) gives pathetic revenues. But webgames that behave like normal downloadables, that can be played and people can buy them.
Not necessarily flash, even silverlight would be fine. Since it's just a 4mb download, doesn't change much, and on next windows everyone will have the silverlight player pre-installed anyway. Also I read that python already runs on it, so a renpy port on silverlight would be relatively easy, and would let people like me have webdemos, which would be cool :)
I don't know what are the future plans of pytom for renpy, but if I was in him I would first do the "easiest" ports (silverlight and iphone I think would be) and then look at the other platforms maybe.
computer games