The Scaglietti (NaNoRenO 2009)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

The Scaglietti (NaNoRenO 2009)

#1 Post by mikey »

Hi everyone,

This is my (unexpected, even for me) NaNoRenO 2009 project, a very short game called The Scaglietti.

It took me 3 days to make, so logically it isn't anything large-scale, in fact it takes approximately 15 minutes to play through - with 3 bad endings and 1 good one. Please enjoy!

The home page has some pictures: http://atp.manga.sk/pages/scaglietti.htm
Attachments
TheScaglietti_mac.zip
(9.55 MiB) Downloaded 124 times
TheScaglietti_linux.tar.bz2
(7.73 MiB) Downloaded 109 times

[The extension exe has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

Last edited by mikey on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

Re: The Scaglietti (NaNoRenO 2009)

#2 Post by Taleweaver »

And still, it's a true mikey game. Great plot twist in the end, nice art and BG art, good storytelling altogether and gripping dialogues to hold it all together. Some guitar music to accompany everything would have been great, but as you threw everything together in only three days, that's probably too much too ask for.

A conventional but neat VN. My only gripe: the good ending is too easy to find. I got it on my first try. ^_^
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Shinrei_Reheiner

#3 Post by Shinrei_Reheiner »

All I can say is that this was a great game(also considering that it was made in only 3 days).
The story was quite interesting and kept me clicking to the very end.

Thank you for posting it mikey-sempai ^^
I hope that one day I'll be able to make VNs as good as this.>w<

(*Magically warps away*...but fails...)...I'll never give up!
"...I'll keep on going.No matter how tough things get, I will overcome it."(...I hope...)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by mikey »

I'm glad you liked it!

As for music, well, I didn't want non-original and at the same time I couldn't compose or get something composed due to the timeframe, so I let it be.

I guess a halfway suitable generic string or piano piece quickly grabbed from the internet would be perfectly fine and would probably feel a part of the game for players (since the perception of the player is different than mine), but for me it wouldn't feel right, because I'd know it wouldn't be spiritually with the other elements. Most of all, I would very soon regret just putting in something I found on the net, regardless of whether people would actually like it better with the music than without. And if I took longer to polish, extend and add things to the game, it would have lost its spontaneous nature, and would become a project or something I'd need to finish, and that kind of game it's not.

The "alternatives" are done similarly to One Million Kisses, they are there for the atmosphere, rather than true alternative, and I'd actually like people to get the good ending on the first try - it's not difficult, but they mean that it's possible to get a bad ending and I do hope that contributes its small part in making the real path special. But sure, it's for a different mindset, it's not the classic multipath VN.

Anyway, thank you all for playing and sharing the comments!

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#5 Post by Watercolorheart »

Oh, I just now saw this! Well, I've been a fan of yours for forever so I will definitely give this a go.

Also, three days?
Fuck you ... I only WISH I could do that.
After 10 minutes, I've decided that I hate your curly font. Story is good, I just have to squint to read everything ... First time
saved, picked the facts, got nothing to satisfy my curiousity, reloaded, picked stories. Oh, hell, the story got really good, really fast! Following my usual trend (since I chose story and interest, following my heart instead of my gut) I chose instinctively in the third Act. Oh ... I guess I chose right. Or, if this isn't the good end, I don't want to see what is.

What a master you are! Tied all the loose ends up so nicely. Incredible. I have to say, I have respect for both her and her grandfather. In such a situation, I'm not sure if I could condemn her if I knew her personally. I would if I was reading a summary from a news article, I suppose.
A Google Image search leaves me disappointed, when I find out there's no such painting. :( Instead, let me offer a Claudia Fallen Under Her Stone. http://mikeytherhino.files.wordpress.co ... atid03.jpg
I'm not even the same person anymore

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#6 Post by F.I.A »

It certainly reminds me of 'Embrace by Green' in how you choose either to act logically or not. However, for this one, we shouldn't be thinking logically after all(I was just a choice away from the good ending in the first try, since I decided to approach the security logically).

The whole duplicating and forgery certainly add a lot to it(Not to mention giving me some time to digest it).
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by mikey »

BCS >> I'm really glad you liked it (save for the font, of course)! Well, your comments are always special to me. (*gets sentimental*) And you definitely got the right ending, then, since the bad ones are very quick ends.

Anyway, regarding the painting: (this is not really a spoiler - on second thought, maybe read it after playing just to make sure), but:
The name I originally made up was "Bellini", I needed something Italian. Then out of curiosity I googled it, and there was actually a painter, called Giovanni Bellini (link here).
There I found the picture of the woman - which became the centre of the story, and I actually wanted to use it as a CG, but in fact i forgot to put in into the build, and when I tested it, I realized that it worked quite well without it and so I then deliberately left it out.
F.I.A >>
I'm sorry about that, I honestly wish everyone a first-try-good-ending. But I hope you liked it nevertheless.
And indeed for the rather complicated (for me, anyway) duplicate/forgery story I cut me pieces of paper and moved them on the table just to double-check and visualize that ^_^.
Thank you for the comments!

AYAto_do

#8 Post by AYAto_do »

Holy Crap! New Mikey game!
Must DL!

I picked u a mac, so I'll have to go on my windows partition to play it, but I'm going to play ASAP!!!

DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

#9 Post by DrakeNavarone »

I played this last night and really enjoyed it. Really did. Something about it, especially the first half actually, just resonated with me. So thank you for this. I enjoyed it a lot.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by musical74 »

*downloading now*

I'll be honest...when I saw mikey as author, my mentality was *HAVE to give this a go!* It's amazing you can whip out a VN in only three days...and considering the other *quick VNs* that you've done are great, I'm SURE this will be too! (Yeah, I'm a fan of you and your work!)

And, between Taleweaver and BCS's opinions of it, I'm SURE I'm gonna love it!

BTW mikey....how in the world can you go from *idea* to *completed game* so darn fast? :)

EDIT: This is a GREAT game, esp considering you did it in 3 days! I MAY have caught a spelling mistake of sorts - I think you have an I in a place where it's not needed - towards the behinning <Act 2>, but other than that it's good! The story is great, there's a lot of emotion involved, and it's thought provoking. Assuming I got hte good ending on the first try too...that is, if
going on a date and going home is the good ending
. Keep these up, mikey you do a great job!
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

ashogo

#11 Post by ashogo »

Well, that was a 20 minutes well spent!
I always enjoy your style of storytelling and this one was no exception. Got the best ending on my first try, but it didn't bother me. You did a good job wrapping everything up with a satisfying ending.

Also, I'm glad you didn't stick some cheap music in the background. While music definitely could have fit (if done well), the storytelling was strong enough that it didn't really matter too much.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by mikey »

Thank you all again for playing and for taking the time to comment!
Hearing people play your game because it's you who made it is hugely flattering, thank you for all the confidence and support! I feel like I have fans... :oops:
musical74 >> Yes, that's the good ending.

ashogo >> You have really made my day with the music comment, it's so nice to hear that some people see that decision positively or at least understand it.

Ren

#13 Post by Ren »

Aww, too bad you didn't go for Bellini, I really like some of his paintings (although I like the watercolours better, I also heard they inspired Albrecht Dürer!).

How to put it, this was very relevant to my interests, and since I finished
drawing someone's sprite
I thought I could reward myself wit a bit diversion finally playing this, and I'm glad I did! I really like how everything comes together in the end, it's quite admirable you can make a relatively short story like this and still making it feel so "real", I really felt immersed in it, despite being late... ooops!

Great work, thanks for sharing!

(I wish I could poof away to my destination like Mugen does; oh, well...)

Edit: I do understand the music choice, but while playing it I couldn't help but play one in my head (it's by Satie, but I can never remember the right name, just that it was in a movie by Kitano), maybe it was the backgrounds' slightly sunset-like colours. :P Ok, now I'm REALLY late!

Also: can it be hosted on the Renai archives? I noticed it isn't there...

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by mikey »

Ren >> Not a problem having it on the RAA.

I'm happy you liked the game! And as for Bellini...
I didn't use Bellini, because I didn't want a real painter to be involved - and although I liked the name, I had to change it to something non-factual, so I recalled that in an old racing game I liked, the name "Bellini" is used as a team name instead of "Ferrari", due to licensing. This then inspired me to make the names related to Ferrari's history. So Scaglietti is the 612 grand tourer car, the "Mondial" agency has its name from yet another Ferrari model, of course Claudia's last name is Ascari (the famous Ferrari champion), and Carini is also one of the old racers.

Ren

#15 Post by Ren »

Added to the archives. :3