Ren'Py Launcher issue with jEdit in Linux

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
vlint
Regular

Ren'Py Launcher issue with jEdit in Linux

#1 Post by vlint »

All right, so I've decided to try out jEdit and perhaps use it more instead of SciTE for visual novels.

Now, I've set up my Java and all. Java works fine, even from the command-line (and I did download it directly from sun.java.com since I don't use the restricted modules that may have copyright/legal issues). I can run jEdit and it works fine if I go into the renpy folder to the jedit folder and type java -jar jedit.jar. However, it will not open at all from the Ren'Py Launcher. Is there a way to fix this?

Oh, I'm using Ren'Py 6.8.1 since I saw that disclaimer about the newest version—so it might work differently there.

Just so you know how the manual install of Java goes, you download a bin file. You run the file and it extracts the whole JDK in a folder. You put the folder wherever. To get it working on the command-line, I made links to all the files in the jdk/bin folder and put them in my ~/bin folder (the bin folder of my home directory). So, there might be some kind of weird internal file association thing going on (although I have associated jar files with java -jar), but I imagine there's a way to fix this without having to install it another way.

vlint
Regular

Re: Ren'Py Launcher issue with jEdit in Linux

#2 Post by vlint »

Ack, I was wrong. It works fine with that version. It does not, however, work fine with the version that comes with Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (the 64-bit beta version). I think I know how to fix it, though.

karppaul

#3 Post by karppaul »

Same problems.
Also, cannot build distribution in Linux(Ubuntu 804 amd64). I'm using OLD version of RenPy(6.2) and would like to know if that problem was solved in newer versions.

georgmay
Regular
Projects: Restriction

#4 Post by georgmay »

karppaul wrote:Same problems.
Also, cannot build distribution in Linux(Ubuntu 804 amd64). I'm using OLD version of RenPy(6.2) and would like to know if that problem was solved in newer versions.
Errors in studio...
Returned