How to open .rpy files with windows?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Ba'al

How to open .rpy files with windows?

#1 Post by Ba'al »

-
Last edited by Ba'al on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

Re: How to open .rpy files with windows?

#2 Post by Aleema »

When the window says that you "cannot open file", tell it to let you pick a program. The editor probably won't be listed in the next window that comes up, so hit "Browse", and the go to your Ren'Py folder and select the .EXE of the editor there. NOT renpy.exe, but you should have either Scite or JEdit, within their respective folder. Once that EXE is selected, make sure you check the box at the bottom that says something like "open all these file types with this program". And then whenever you execute a rpy file, it'll open up on the editor.

But seriously, you should just execute the renpy manager and click "Edit Script" for your project. There should be no reason to convert the RPY file ... check to see if you even have Scite or Jedit in your RenPy directory.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#3 Post by JQuartz »

Aleema wrote:But seriously, you should just execute the renpy manager and click "Edit Script" for your project.
Eh, Ba'al said nothing happened when he clicks on that.
Ba'al wrote:Do I need to download a certain program to open the files?
Well, if clicking 'Edit Script' does nothing, you might either need Java or Scite. I don't where you can get Java but Scite is here:http://www.renpy.org/w/images/b/b7/Scite.zip.
Scite can open the rpy files. rpyc files on the other hand is already like protected so you can't really edit them(the codes are all gibberish).
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

EwanG
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by EwanG »

If all else fails, rpy files open nicely in WordPad, which preserves the formatting. Obviously it doesn't do syntax checking and is not integrated with RenPy. However, if you had a copy of the script, and you just wanted to edit it, or open it to check and see if it's the version you think it is, etc. That is an option.

One thing to ask here if you're having problems to get the .RPY files to open if you have installed RenPy on the machine is which version of Windows? There can be "interesting" issues with permissions if you have stringent UAC turned on under Vista (for example), and I'm not sure how RenPy would run under Win 3.1 or Win 95 (both of which I know are still out in use - hard as I find it to believe myself).

Oh, one other thing, are the RPY files under the project directory in a subdirectory called "Game"? If you just copy an RPY file over to a new directory, and it doesn't have that structure, the Launcher won't find it.
Working on something... might even be something good :D

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#5 Post by Aleema »

JQuartz wrote:Eh, Ba'al said nothing happened when he clicks on that.
Best to fix the problem than to work around it. ^^;

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#6 Post by JQuartz »

Aleema wrote:Best to fix the problem than to work around it. ^^;
Yeah, but when one don't know how to fix it, working around it wouldn't be such a bad idea.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

herenvardo
Veteran

#7 Post by herenvardo »

JQuartz wrote:I don't where you can get Java
The more obvious something is, the more people misses it: java.com :P.
EwanG wrote:If all else fails, rpy files open nicely in WordPad, which preserves the formatting.
Wait, what? rpy files are plain text. There is no formatting on them. Actually if WordPad tries to save any formatting on the file, it will become unusable (because rpy files must be plain text; and formatting can't be saved as such).
In case of doubt, fall back to Notepad, or even EDIT (the latter is not recommended unless you're already used to it).
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

Ba'al

#8 Post by Ba'al »

-
Last edited by Ba'al on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by JQuartz »

Ba'al wrote:But I am confused why Jedit won't work... it seems to be a bigger problem than first expected. Or I'm just incompetent.
I think because you don't have Java.

Ba'al

#10 Post by Ba'al »

-
Last edited by Ba'al on Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

zanaikin
Regular
Projects: TIP

#11 Post by zanaikin »

You could always just do rightclick->openwith->chooseprogram and in that window select something and "always use the selected program..."

Warning: apart from any special text editing (like wordpad/microsoft word [ " ], they don't use the ASCII version...), renpy always doesn't use tabs. When you tab in the script editor it automatically adds 3/4 spaces, but if you tab in any other text editor it'll put a tab which'll cause a syntax error.
So... best to just edit renpy in renpy, use something else to read if you have to dualscreen I guess.