Lífþrasir Main

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

Lífþrasir Main

#1 Post by lunasspecto »

I've finished my latest visual novel project, "Lífþrasir Main". Here's all I have to say about the plot:

Code: Select all

$ currentyear = time.localtime().tm_year + 50
And there are two attainable endings.

For screenshots, check the Works in Progress thread.

You can download version 1.1 the game, made with Ren'Py 6.9.1h, here: This version fixes some textual errors, including a repeated misspelling of theremin and ambiguity about a certain character's name.

Here are the Internet sources of public domain images I used: Any other images in the game were created by me.

Please let me know what you think.

Peace,
Kazuki Mishima
Last edited by lunasspecto on Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

Dusty
Regular

Re: Lífþrasir Main

#2 Post by Dusty »

I, uh. So, I attained both endings.
I was playing around with my system clock, and when I tried setting the year to 2049, Ren'Py gave me an "unconvertible time" error. I don't know why this is in spoiler tags, given that you spoiled it yourself in the opening post, but...
I went "WTF?" most the the way through, then I saw the sources for all you images and went "hm?" and then wiki'd up all the non-English words and went "oh" and now I think I shouldn't try playing sequels before the originals ever again after I went to the WIP thread and re-found out that this is a sequel. (that was long)

So, I played it but I don't really have comments right now.

lunasspecto
Regular

#3 Post by lunasspecto »

Dusty wrote:and now I think I shouldn't try playing sequels before the originals ever again after I went to the WIP thread and re-found out that this is a sequel.
I don't think that playing "The Endling Archive" would have helped you much. I have to admit the plot is a tad obscure, and rather removed from that of the other work. And the fact that most of the characters have three names each doesn't help much. Here's a list of them:
  • "Chief"/Two of Wands/whatever username you input (by default "odin5") - The protagonist. He's basically the leader of the Lífþrasir colony.
  • Victor/Six of Swords/baldr - head techie for the colony, accomplished thereminist, and son of Jason, the original Six of Swords
  • Arnold/Three of Wands/búri - originator of the mysterious transmission, on of the original builders of the colony, has been in cryostasis beneath Pitcairn Island for some time, has his own agenda for genetic modification of the colony
  • Jane/Two of Swords/valkyrie - has been kept in cryostasis within the colony, one of the original builders of the colony, on a mission to ensure its continued growth - WARNING: Due to a mental lapse, I wrote her name as "Julia" instead of "Jane" at one point, and will fix this in an updated version to be released in several minutes
  • Linus/The Magician/mímir - has been living secretly in the colony's storage facilities, one of the original builders of the colony, has not been in cryostasis and thus has aged considerably, has been in love with Julia since they were working in the planning of the colony together
Hope that helps a bit. It's mostly information you wouldn't find in "The Endling Archive".

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#4 Post by sake-bento »

Fascinating. Got both endings.

I like the presentation - it's definitely a unique way to use Ren'py and it felt like more like a simulator than a visual novel. The story was pretty interesting once I finally understood it. And I like the fact that you included a thereminist. I really like theremins. XD I'm a little disappointed that the text speed is fixed. It moves slower than I read, so waiting for each line to pass was somewhat aggravating (although I assume that's on purpose).

lunasspecto
Regular

#5 Post by lunasspecto »

Thanks for the comments, sake-bento. Regarding the text speed, I didn't really want it to be aggravating, but I wanted it to be a fairly believable approximation of the average person's typing speed. Of course, you can hit "Enter" (or "Return" or whatever) to print the rest of the current line instantly. If it's really bugging you, you can edit the "script.rpy" file. :)

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento »

lunasspecto wrote:Thanks for the comments, sake-bento. Regarding the text speed, I didn't really want it to be aggravating, but I wanted it to be a fairly believable approximation of the average person's typing speed. Of course, you can hit "Enter" (or "Return" or whatever) to print the rest of the current line instantly. If it's really bugging you, you can edit the "script.rpy" file. :)
Nah, I did the "enter" thing and it worked out just fine. A couple times I skipped lines, but rollback is happiness. XD

farvardin
Regular

#7 Post by farvardin »

It was a really strange and original game / story (there is so little interaction), I enjoyed the mood of it, even if I didn't understand all.