popularity of EEC notebooks ?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

popularity of EEC notebooks ?

#1 Post by jack_norton »

I think someone posted some figures here but I don't remember where... basically I asked some guys to test a 6.9.1 build of spirited heart with their weird-res (1024x600 or 940x600) small notebooks, but the game still crashes once they get at first menu choice, so I was wondering if those systems are popular or not?
Of course in older games like Summer Session who runs at 800x600 there aren't such problems.
However I'd really like to use 1024x768 since the visual quality is much better, but if this can prevent many people from playing the games at all, I might have to reconsider it... :(
Of course Pytom might fix that in future, but he has so much work lately that I don't want to push him working on this too much, especially if I don't even know if the people having those systems are just a small minority, or not :mrgreen:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: popularity of EEC notebooks ?

#2 Post by PyTom »

jack_norton wrote:Of course Pytom might fix that in future, but he has so much work lately that I don't want to push him working on this too much, especially if I don't even know if the people having those systems are just a small minority, or not :mrgreen:
I'm pretty sure that I fixed this in the past, with 6.9.1f. And I think these resolutions will be popular for the next few years, in the netbook market. (Which I think will eventually move to high-DPI, high-resolution screens.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by jack_norton »

Ah but did you got my emails (I sent them in last days)? I asked people to test a build of the game using 6.9.1f and they reported crashes:
http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?t=16375
(check the traceback they posted)
computer games

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#4 Post by PyTom »

Unless I'm reading them wrong, those crashes are with e, not f.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by jack_norton »

Damn me I must have downloaded it just few hours before you posted f. Sorry, going to ask them to try again once I upload the new build!
computer games

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by DaFool »

Right now they cost about the same as a Playstation 3 in my country: ~21,000 - 24,000 pesos. There are a few in the 17,000-18,000 range but they tend to be old.

So I'm like... hmmm, get a machine that can only do basic productivity tasks (not game), or get a machine that can only game (no productivity at all).

In the end, I just made the most logical choice: get neither and search for cheap entertainment on freewaregames.net

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#7 Post by rioka »

Can't you run a test? If you can test people's browser resolution at your website(s), you can come up with a general idea of how many people are using mini-notebooks.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by DaFool »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_resolution

Also, I what's recommended nowadays is to use 1280x800, this is useable on all PC's and notebooks (except netbooks). Especially on notebooks you'll get problems with 1280x1024.

The question of resolution is very important to me currently, since I'm now using an adventure game engine, and the pixel-hunting and path-finding components are heavily dependent on it.

I'm torn between

960 x 600
1024 x 640
1280 x 800

They're all 16:10 aspect ratio because that's the computer widescreen aspect ratio, not the television 16:9.

I draw with a linewidth of 3-4 pixels, and that will always remain constant regardless of the canvas size. So a higher resolution means that I can cram more detail in each background (resulting in less need to split areas into into multiple map pieces when one detailed scrollable map will suffice. But you don't want the map area to scroll too much... unless there are RTS-like hotkeys to auto-center on target sprite)

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

#9 Post by usul »

I think its fixed. I'm on an aspire one 1024x600 and couldn't play sketchbook because it would crash. After it was rereleased it plays well on my 'non-standard' computer.
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller

Preludian
Regular

#10 Post by Preludian »

nearly everyone I know has one now, I also see them everywhere now, I'd like one too, but I have to persuade my wife first ;)
The best thing about these little ones are that they are small enough to be put in a normal bag and the battery lasts long enough to be actually used out doors. I think I'll wait for the next generation hoping for even longer battery duration >6 hours.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by jack_norton »

usul wrote:I think its fixed. I'm on an aspire one 1024x600 and couldn't play sketchbook because it would crash. After it was rereleased it plays well on my 'non-standard' computer.
Yes everyone seems to get it to work now. I'm going to upgrade Heileen to last renpy version today so will be a good large-scale test of the new renpy build (I'm still paranoid to upgrade Spirited Heart too since is so new).
computer games

#12 Post by Guest »

What was the renpy scale factor you used that was most compatible with the most users? (or does it query the user's system?)

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#13 Post by PyTom »

jack_norton wrote:
usul wrote:I think its fixed. I'm on an aspire one 1024x600 and couldn't play sketchbook because it would crash. After it was rereleased it plays well on my 'non-standard' computer.
Yes everyone seems to get it to work now. I'm going to upgrade Heileen to last renpy version today so will be a good large-scale test of the new renpy build (I'm still paranoid to upgrade Spirited Heart too since is so new).
I'd hold off until this weekend. I'm going to release a new build that fixes one last bug in scaling, and problem with DEP on XP and Vista systems.