Reasons why you play through/give up on a game?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

Re: Reasons why you play through/give up on a game?

#16 Post by Jo'ogn »

Samu-kun wrote:I've always wanted to become supreme ruler of a nation and conquer the world.
This is sth I would only do in a game. In 'reality' it would be way too much of a bother o_0;
Samu-kun wrote:They're called the Covenant, not the Alliance.
In the German translation they are referred to as "die Allianz". I actually was looking for a story in Halo, because it is sort of missing. It's rather a typical 'space marine setting'. After all it's a FPS so I didn't expect too much anyway. In "Halo" the Grunts were voiced in a sort of funny wicked way, while in "Halo 2" they spoke too cute and cuddly so that I didn't want to kill them.

Which reminds me on another frustration factor: "darkness". There seems to be some action game obsession with making everything so dark ,that I cant see a freaking thing. Is that supposed to scare me?

Esp with Halo it was rediculous. I am supposed to play a sci-fi guy in some hi-tec shielded armour suit, but he can't see in the dark... O_0; And his "2m range flashlight" runs out of power after 5 seconds =_=;
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#17 Post by LVUER »

Jo'ogn wrote:
Samu-kun wrote:They're called the Covenant, not the Alliance.
In the German translation they are referred to as "die Allianz". I actually was looking for a story in Halo, because it is sort of missing. It's rather a typical 'space marine setting'. After all it's a FPS so I didn't expect too much anyway. In "Halo" the Grunts were voiced in a sort of funny wicked way, while in "Halo 2" they spoke too cute and cuddly so that I didn't want to kill them.

Which reminds me on another frustration factor: "darkness". There seems to be some action game obsession with making everything so dark ,that I cant see a freaking thing. Is that supposed to scare me?
Grunts won't be so cute in legendary ^_^
Covenant is indeed an alliance (of aliens). And remember that Covenant is a human term (like the Covenant ship, Truth and Reconciliation). Well, human need to call them something. It's quite strange that space marines (in Starship Troopers) just call their enemies "the bugs" and without any clearer classification.
Anyway, Halo has quite good story for FPS game. This is the summary (WARNING! HEAVY SPOILER) :
PROLOGUE
1. There is an ancient race, forerunner. Their technologies are superior and become the technology of later emerging Covenant
2. Flood infection occurs, the forerunner activate all Halo Rings and get wiped out as the result.
3. Several million years later perhaps, life begin to spring once again. The Prophet salvaging Forerunner technology and begin making an alliance. Their first target to persuade is the Elite.
4. With the Elite join forces, they only need to "force" the rest to join (join or die). Well, they only invite the worthy ones.
5. Humanity has begin their own Spartan projects. But there's still problem with the Mjolnir armor, especially with the power generator (problem even in our time ^_^). This was later solved after humanity encounter Covenant (Jackal shield to be exact, not Elite shield).
HALO WAR & HALO 1
6. Later humanity discovered a forerunner artifacts (a temple). The prophet consider this as an insult so they decided to eliminate all humans. "They want war? We give them war."
7. To make the party even merrier, some fool covenant release the seal on Halo and Flood running rampage once again.
HALO 2
8. At some point, The Elite begin to wonder why human couldn't join the Covenant, human are indeed a great and brave warrior.
9. An elite stripped of all his rank and given a chance as an arbiter to redeem his failure (this Elite is the commander of Truth and Reconciliation in Halo 1). This is the second character in Halo 2 and 3, Arbiter.
10. A prophet is then killed in Halo Instalation when he's trying to activate the Halo (Master Chief is the one who killed him, of course).
11. The Prophet consider the Elite could no longer give the Prophet enough security, so they give the job to the Brutes (long arch-rival of the Elites). This job is considered the highest honor in Covenant and has been traditionally Elite's job. Elites couldn't take this and consider this a humiliation. Well, after all, Covenant was founded by both Elites and The Prophet.
12. To make things worse, The Prophet has decided to eliminate all the Elites. This spark a civil war among the Covenant. Grunts join the Elites since only the Elites that consider them as ally from the first time. The rest (Jackal, Brutes, etc) despise Grunts because they are so weak.
13. This spark a civil war among the Covenant. Elite with the Grunts (the Grunts respect Elite which behaves like true warrior, unlike other Covenants who despise Grunts).
HALO 3
14. Realizing the true nature of the Ring and since the Prophet want to activate the ring, the Elites join forces with human to stop Covenant (actually this happens at the end of Halo 2). The Elites of course, has tried to convince the rest of Covenant since they are only fooled by the Prophet.
15. To replace the missing Halo that destroyed in Halo 1, there is a portal in Earth which leads to galaxy far far away that leads to an installation, an ark, that could make a new Halo.
16. Master Chief and his co. try to stop the Prophet from activating the ring.

Additional Notes:
1. Flood is only there to make things worse. I don't think Flood has any significance in story, except for the reason Gulty Spark is trying to activate the Halo. Halo 1-3 is focused on Convenant, perhaps Halo 4 will focuse on Flood.
2. The real reason why Humanity couldn't join Covenant is that the Prophet know that Humanity is the real descendant of Forerunner. Should this is known to the rest of Covenant, the Prophet's position would be in great danger. This is also the reason why only a human could activate the index/Halo.
Jo'ogn wrote:Esp with Halo it was rediculous. I am supposed to play a sci-fi guy in some hi-tec shielded armour suit, but he can't see in the dark... O_0; And his "2m range flashlight" runs out of power after 5 seconds =_=;
Yeah, strange huh? But perhaps it's all only for balancing the game. I mean just see at the specs of Mjolnir Armor. Master Chief should be able to run like Bionic Man (6 million dollar man), jump like Air Jordan, infrared/low-light/scope goggles with infinite battery (splinter cell/syphoon filter anyone?), etc etc. But really, with all that, the game won't be FPS anymore... it will be first person action-stealth-shooting game (don't mix well I think).

Now, onto the real reason why I post this message:

Code: Select all

So why do you play games?
For entertainment, what else? Nintendo spelled it right: Nintendo Entertainment System ^_^

How much time do you spent with playing?
Depends. When I'm not playing then I could not playing at all for the whole month. But when playing, it could reach to whooping 16 hours a day (other than sleep, eat, and take a bath, I play HARD).

What is a frustration factor?
-Bad dub (I really wish they just sub those games!).
-When the difficulty is too hard that it's pointless to play.
-When the game become too repetitive while offering nothing good for me.

When do you give up?
1.When the game is becoming too hard to be finished that I feel it is pointless to play the game anymore. Especially that if I feel not rewarded (like there is no new game+). I don't want to repeat 140+ hours of pointless level grinding... or 80+ hours of repetitive replay/continue.
2.When I suddenly feel bored with the game. Like the game is too repetitive while offering no more good story or something like that.
Combine these two and I will throw the game into trash bin.

Why do you want to play a game through?
Mostly simply because of personal satisfaction (the only reason I unlock all those endings, items, secret-bosses, etc). Second reason is simply for the sake of finishing the game itself. Third is to enjoy the story and the ending.

in that context: How is the relation between games you spent money on and those you did not?
I don't really get this one? Care to explain more?

Do you play games even though they are not of the kind you like?
If so, why?
Yes, as long as I "get" something in return, like good story, cute characters, good and satisfying challenge, etc.

Do you believe in 'genre of games' or 'games for genders'?
Yes. I mean, they are really exists. Like I don't want to play a game where I play as a girl chasing around some pretty rich boys. Or play some certain fighting games where I must memorized 15 sequence of button input.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#18 Post by musical74 »

So why do I play games?

Either because I am wanting to relax or kill time :P

How much time do I spend playing games?

Depends on the game, but generally around 10-20 hours a week.

Couple factors here...my two big ones are *must spend hours (or days!) levelng up because you need item X (or weapon X) and it costs an arm and a leg*; also *OK....just what the heck am I supposed to do?!* (Games where they don't tell you ANYTHING outside of (here you go) really irritate me) Massive repition also annoys me (doing the EXACT SAME THING over and over....)

When do I give up?

After getting frustratrated or wanting to do something else.

Why do I want to play a game through?

Usually because either I enjoy the story or plot,

Games I spent money on VS games I didn't...outside of VNs, games that I spend money on I expect to enjoy! I mean, that's why I bought/rented them, right?

Play games even though I may not like them?

Probably not.

Gender games?

There are games out there that are meant for men and ones that are meant for women, but that doesn't mean that a woman won't like a *man's game" or a man will find a "woman's game" enjoyable.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Jake
Support Hero

#19 Post by Jake »

LVUER wrote: Anyway, Halo has quite good story for FPS game.
This is what we call "damning by faint praise".
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#20 Post by Jo'ogn »

Jake wrote:
Quite, many of things LVUER put down considering Halo's setting are NOT conveyed through the game itself. Which I consider "bad story telling". It's all nice and dandy that there are bunch of books out about Halo, but this might only underline how negligent they 'told' the story in the actual game. I don't know Halo3, but they got it a tad better in Halo2.

Not to mention that it is obvious how everything is shaped around the game mechanics, which certainly were there ~before~ the idea of the Halo FPS came up. They say that initially the Halo (ring) was supposed to be freely explorable. The so-called Covenant 'accidently' reflects different difficulty types of monsters. Well, and the Flood just adds a bit of scariness. Actually as the Flood showed up and everything 'accidently' turned dark I was about to drop the game as just-another-zombie-shooter...

But as with many games of today, it 'looks nice'. But this is what my friend says about the Xbox360: things do look nice, but there are not necessarily 'nicer' games for that reason alone...
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

dstarsboy
Veteran

#21 Post by dstarsboy »

This is a really good topic!

I have been fighting with this myself. I originally had many paths that started fairly early and several intersects, but changed to an "almost" linear story line (which leads to several dates with several girls) because I didn't want to waste time on unseen content.

However, I have now went back to my original concept because it was ridiculous trying to keep the main character's emotions believable during all of these dates with different women, unless, of course, he had a heart of a frickin' robot! lol.

So, my advice... even though most people wont see all of your content, some people will see different pieces of your content so it will collectively be experienced in the end. So do what you need to for the sake of the story.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

LVUER
King of Lolies

#22 Post by LVUER »

Jake wrote:
Uhhh... I don't get what this means?

Jake
Support Hero

#23 Post by Jake »

LVUER wrote:
Jake wrote:
Uhhh... I don't get what this means?
It means "to give the impression something isn't really very good by only praising it very slightly (faintly)".

The implication here being that if the thing you compare your thing to is something which is really terrible, then that suggests that you can't find anything better that it's superior to - that things which are "OK" or even "good" are so much better than it that you don't want them in the same sentence because they make your thing look bad.

FPS stories are notoriously terrible - saying "quite a good story for an FPS" is like saying "quite good ethics compared to Josef Mengele" or "quite good grammar compared to YouTube comments threads".
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

LVUER
King of Lolies

#24 Post by LVUER »

OK, I know FPS story is usually bad (although there are some that actually good, like Halo itself or Half-Life). What I mean by my previous post is that "Halo story is quite/pretty good, since it is FPS. But if Halo is an RPG, then it's story is mediocre". Why it's only pretty good, not very good, well... I won't discuss it here, it'll be OOT.

After all, the main point of Halo is not the story itself, but rather the presentation, system/balance design, and the rich of architectural design. If you want story, go find yourself a J-RPG.

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#25 Post by Jo'ogn »

LVUER wrote:If you want story, go find yourself a J-RPG.
But what if I like 'good' stories, but not (J)RPGs?!

killdream
Veteran
Projects: EVūL (WIP), insilo (WIP), Cute Demon Crashers!
Deviantart: robotlolita
Github: robotlolita

#26 Post by killdream »

Jo'ogn wrote:
Visual Novels? Adventures? Interactive Fictions?

Either way, most probably they don't want to do a good story for a FPS because... really, no one cares. Most peoples would just end up skipping the story and uttering things like 'f**k this, why this s***t has to get on my way every time?'. Hardcore gamers don't care about the story (actually, I found most hardcore games to be just graphics and... graphics? There's not even the fun factor anymore.)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#27 Post by LVUER »

Jo'ogn wrote:
Visual Novels? Mystery/detective games? Well, some Western RPG has good story too. How about Metal Gear series, they have good story while have some shooting in it (especially MGS4, it has lots of gun).
killdream wrote:
Jo'ogn wrote:
Visual Novels? Adventures? Interactive Fictions?

Either way, most probably they don't want to do a good story for a FPS because... really, no one cares. Most peoples would just end up skipping the story and uttering things like 'f**k this, why this s***t has to get on my way every time?'. Hardcore gamers don't care about the story (actually, I found most hardcore games to be just graphics and... graphics? There's not even the fun factor anymore.)
The strong point of FPS never the story. Heck, some even don't have story at all, but they sell. Like fighting games, most of them don't have good stories.

But really, good story doesn't hurt. But story just isn't the main point of FPS games. People play FPS games to shoot first, ask later, without do any thinking. Yeah, my thumbs (or index finger) move first before I think what was moving over there.

Lady_Arthemis

#28 Post by Lady_Arthemis »

a couple of reasons. Either I want to relax and take a break from school or I want to get some fresh ideas

When I was a child (let's say 9-13), I could play for hours! I could play 5-10 hours a day!
Not that I'm seventeen, I play around 2-5 hours. It depends whether the game is engaging or not

Something that contributes to you being frustrated? hahaha! It could be anything!

When do you give up?

When I see that it gets repetitive or boring, or when I'm stuck up in a part.

Because I want to see how a story plot will unfold, or that I care about the characters that I'm willing to invest time to see how they end up.

Another factor is that the game is just fun!

in that context: How is the relation between games you spent money on and those you did not?

From what I've experienced, the games I've bought are better that free games. Although there are some commercial games that can be downloaded freely. .

If so, why?

I tried to play a game that was, accdg to my friends, fun and addicting. (Warcraft: Defense of the Ancients anyone?)
It got me hooked for awhile, then I got tired of it. I just didn't like real-time strategy games. I tend to panic whenever I play one.

Although fighting games are addictive, I don't find myself addicted to it. Sure, it's a great outlet for frustration, but with all those moves to memorize and the button-mashing (which I'm not good at. . . . ) I end up losing to my opponent. hahaha

sometimes. .
-----------------
a webcomic

Hime
Veteran
Projects: Project Nattsu, Take Rena Home

#29 Post by Hime »

-- For a good story, usually, or just to have fun in some cases.

-- Depends on what time of the year it is. I don't play much when in school, but during holidays I can even spend a whole day playing something.

-- Grinding, or in case of VNs filler text - or just in general, too slow progression. Also if I feel that the game doesn't have anything to give to me. I've played too many "basic JVNs" to enjoy the basic JVN setting anymore, for example. I want to have a special experience, not go through the same one over and over again.

When do you give up?
-- If I feel that I'm not gaining anything by playing, be it fun or a good story or whatever. If I feel there's no reason to play anymore, or if I'm stuck at the same spot for too long.

-- To complete an experience - in general I really hate it if I can't complete a game. In VNs I want to get all the CGs too. Thus I only give up in cases where I feel like there well, is no experience, I guess?

In that context: How is the relation between games you spent money on and those you did not?
-- Money? What is that? I'm a student so I spend 95% of my money on food and the rest on some other vital things. -sigh-

If so, why?
-- If a friend has made it or if it has been recommended by a friend.

-- They exist, but I usually can't stand games for women, so I don't think the gender categories work quite well. Which is natural, since they're based on stereotypes - there can't be only 2 kind of people in this world.

Jo'ogn
Veteran

#30 Post by Jo'ogn »

Hime wrote:there can't be only 2 kind of people in this world.
Yeah, that what I believe, too.
LVUER wrote:Visual Novels? Mystery/detective games? Well, some Western RPG has good story too. How about Metal Gear series
I like interaction, so VNs aren't really my cup of tea. MGS1-3 belong to my favourites in fact. I recently added "Deus Ex i.w."
killdream wrote:actually, I found most hardcore games to be just graphics and... graphics? There's not even the fun factor anymore.
Yes, what a friend said about the xbox360: graphics and enviroment simulations of course improved, actual game play still the same as 10-30 years ago.