Ideas Dump

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Ideas Dump

#391 Post by PyTom »

No xemacs-tan? And around these parts, SciTE-tan and poor, unloved JEdit-tan.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#392 Post by Vatina »

PyTom wrote:And around these parts, SciTE-tan and poor, unloved JEdit-tan.
Haha that could be fun xD Someone should make a 4koma about that

#393 Post by Guest »

This might turn into a big project. ^^

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#394 Post by gekiganwing »

AISU (Icerain) wrote:Hi. I'm trying to make a VN about-tans.
A while ago, in this very thread, there was talk about an OS-tan game about video game consoles...

And now for an unrelated idea: Love is Difficult in a Boarding School. The main character is a teenage girl. She's stuck in a strict all girls boarding school with a required uniform and quite a few rules. The only place where she might find a boyfriend would be the town... but she will have to be quite cautious when leaving the school grounds. If she gets caught without a good excuse once or twice, she'll have to endure detention, required additional assignments, and more. Three offenses = expulsion and game over.

If this becomes a dating/school life simulation, here's how the flow of gameplay might work: classes, followed by a small section of free time. The heroine can choose to follow her assignments, or attempt to leave the school grounds. Every time she chooses the latter, there's the danger that she might get caught by faculty. She will have to provide a plausible excuse, and a timer might be running (as seen in Truce for a Moment).

Some of this idea is borrowed from descriptions I read of the YA romance novel The Year My Life Went Down the Loo. Other parts of this idea are borrowed from the really stupid Green Green anime series... but gender-flipped. (I don't know if the female protagonist of Love is Difficult in a Boarding School might have to cope with annoying classmates or seniors. If there are people such as Arisa, the BL fangirl who was not even named in the Green Green TV series, then maybe they'll seem sympathetic.)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#395 Post by gekiganwing »

I've been trying to remember what I've said before, and also think of something original for this thread...

"Shipping Charges." A game in which the main character is striving to get various friends together. The main character is something of a matchmaker, but perhaps also a dating coach. Gameplay might involve giving friends specific schedules, Tokimemo style.

"Ambiguous Viewpoint." Whose perspective are we seeing? Here's one possibility: The main character has a video camera. Everything the player sees is through this literal lens. I dunno if this idea is part of Zansho Omimai Moushiagemasu (a translation which seems to be stalled).

Dis
Regular
Projects: Angel of Love,Forgotten,War's Fate, D

#396 Post by Dis »

Well, haven't read through the ideas others posted as I have my own stories that I'm currently working on, but anyway, I post two story ideas that have lesser chance that I'll make them. I don't mean that they're not good or something like that. I only mean that I'm probably not the best qualified person to make them, at least not as well as they could be made.

1st story)
It is a bit like Diablo and the Lord of The Rings. Most part of this story I dreamed yesterday, the other part I did thought/speculated out myself.

The story is about a demon(?)/humanoid(?) who once brought darkness and terror to the world, but was defeated in the end. However, two out of tree of his generals, started to resurrect him in secrecy. After many, many generations later, they finally succeeded, however he is yet still week (at least, weaker then he was back then). So, he sends his two loyal generals to get a specific item for him. While they’re away, the disloyal general attacks his formal master in hope of taking over the place and the forces, and in the end, the master needs to flee the castle. In the meantime, the good guys find out that the generals are planning to resurrect their fallen master, so somewhere in the territory of the good guys, a male elf ranger sits in a sofa(?), flipping through a book about the old war between the good guys and the evil master and his forces, while discussing what to do about the evil master with two other persons. A human woman paladin(?)/warrior(?) with long, wavy, blond hair, and a younger girl with long whitish hair. After finishing their discussion, they head out, on their way; they meet with an old druid who suggests that they look for the item (that the generals are looking for) and use it against the evil master. They agree and head for the first part of the item, not knowing that the evil master is watching them. As everything progresses, the two loyal generals, and the four man party gathers the keys and pieces of the item, and clash together when meeting. In the end, the party gathers the item and heads for the evil lords castle. On the way, the evil lord disposes of the druid, because he is the only person in the party who knows how the evil master looks like, and befriending himself with the party, he joins them, helping them out here and there, while saying that he was one of the generals of the evil master, but the master wanted to kill him, so he too wants to defeat the dark lord. After getting over many foes and obstacles to get into the castle, they face the last general, thinking that he is the evil master. They begin fighting and defeat the last general.

If it was made into a Visual Novel, than the reader could chose if he/she would want to play as a woman or a man, and depending on his/her choice, would play either the dark master or the white haired girl. And depending on the reader’s choices, in the end, the evil master could become evil, aka taking over the throne after the defeat of the disloyal general and attacking the party and the world, or good, and become friends with the party and even fall in love with someone.

2nd story)
This one is a bit harder to categorize. Now that I look at it, I think, it is a bit like True Remembrance.

The story would be played in the old days, or at least in a city that has old looking European buildings. The player appears in the novel as a little child boy or a girl. I think the best would be to let the reader be able to chose if he/she wants to play a boy or a girl, but that’s only my opinion. Anyway, the player appears as a dirty, penniless, mute, little, child, in tattered white or black clothes, who is sitting huddled up in the corner of the street, while shaking because of the cold and probably out of fear too. People come and go on the streets, but nobody wants to have anything to do with a person like him/her, so they give the player a wide berth. The player just sits there, tries to keep warm and looks at his/her surroundings for days. One day however, a little, somewhat dirty, child (depending on the reader’s choice regarding his/her own character, the child can be either a girl or a boy) with fair hair, skin and red eyes, aka an albino, wearing dark, gothic like clothes, and having a little basket in one of his/her hand and a little, umbrella in the other hand. He/she notices the reader and tries to befriend himself/herself with us. At first you’re cautious of the child too. Maybe the writer could put here some choices, like, trust the child, not trust the child, and similar, and a few dialogs later, choices like, go with the child or not go with the child. He/she takes you in and even though she/he is penniless like you and lives alone in an old, desolated and ruined building, he/she takes care of you and calls you sister/brother, like you two really would be family. You don’t or can’t reply to her with worlds, only with nods, facial expressions and hand motions. Being glad for her friendliness and care, you help her where you can, making a little mess now and then, and here and there because of your inexperience and lack of strength. As time goes on, you (might fall in love with him/her unknowingly) discover that people avoid or throw stones at your new friend too, because not knowing about albinism, because he/she always wears darkish clothes, and because he/she is still alive nowadays, even if he/she has no money to buy food, they think that he/she is a vampire or something like that. Towards the end of the novel, a true vampire comes to town and vampire sightings and victims start to pile up. They suspect your friend, so you need to flee, but your friend doesn’t wants to leave his/her house behind. After a long talk, you convince your ally to leave. You take shelter in a farther away building, for example in the church, and as you prepare to go to sleep, the real vampire appears and attacks you. You want to help your friend, but the vampire easily throws you out of the way and corners in your friend and bits towards his/her neck. Surprisingly, the throw that would kill a normal person, didn’t have much effect on you and you easily sit up and take a look at the others.
Just then, depending on the player’s choice, we:

a.) Might save our friend. If we decide to help, we teleport ourselves between the two and the beast bites us instead of our friend. He starts to suck our blood while our friend is shocked by the sight and doesn’t know how we got between the two of them. We start to comfort our friend with words, while the vamp notices that there is something wrong with our blood. Overpowered by the blood he catches flames and burns to ashes, following his example, his minions around town become dust too. Puzzled by the happenings, and frightened too, our friend distances himself/herself from us somewhat and just stares at the reader and the remains of the creature in panic.
The reader, now can:

1.) Sits down and starts to explain to our friend about ourselves. You explain that you’re a higher being (God/chaos/life/death [Not the death that goes for the dead people’s souls and brings them to the underworld. The death, when people die.]) who has came to this world to watch its inhabitants and decide if the world and its people deserves to live further or not. Depending on the choices you made during the novel and the happenings, plus your friend’s next words and actions, you now make your judgment. You even might confess your feelings towards each other.

2.) Or to leave her and go away. While you try to leave, depending on your choices until now, he/she might try to stop you.

.) If he/she does, you might confess your feelings towards each other. And then, if selected, even tell her the truth about yourself. Explaining like in 1.) and making the judgment.

..) If she/he doesn’t stop you, you leave the building and vanish. After that, you depending on the choices you made during the novel and the happenings, plus your friend’s words and actions, you now make your judgment.

b.) Or let him/her become a vampire too.
The vamp sucks out our friend’s blood and seeing that we still live, he goes for us now. We just sit there on the floor where he throw us and watch silently, as he closes in. Then, he starts to drink our blood too, but notices that there is something wrong with our blood. Overpowered by the blood he catches flames and burns to ashes, following his example, his minions around town become dust too.
At this point:

A.) We can let our friend die too, and than being the being that we are, make judgment as described in 1.).

B.) Or save him/her by draineing out the particles that would turn him/her into a vamp. Later on, our friend wakes up and looks around. He/she at first thinks that it was a dream, but then notices the marks on her/his neck and realizes that it was real. Scared, our friend jumps up and looks around while asking about the now dead enemy. You point at the dust on the floor which makes our friend a bit relived, but then she remembers the marks on his/her neck and ask about if he/she is now a vampire. You nod no and when asked how come, you open your mouth and answer her question. Realizing that you spoke to her, she asks you question after question.
After a long talk, you:

I.) Finally reveal yourself to her like in 1.) and make your judgment about the world like in 1.). You even might confess your feelings towards each other.

II.) Or leave her like in 2.).

Notes:The player doesn’t talk to anyone until the end part and even there, depending on the choices, he/she might not talk. The child that represents the reader, does know from the beginning that he/she is a higher being, aka he/she doesn’t have amnesia, or something the like, he/she only doesn’t mentions it and his/her work in his/her thoughts and actions, until the end of the story. We show human reactions, like freezing when it’s cold, and being scared, but in truth, it is all only acting from our side. However, as mentioned, the reader only finds this out at the end of the novel or not even there.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Project D:AoL
Special Thanks for their motivation and support to: BCS, Enerccio, mikey, monele, PyTom, yvanc, mugenjohncel, Sai

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#397 Post by gekiganwing »

Dis wrote:1st story)
It is a bit like Diablo and the Lord of The Rings. Most part of this story I dreamed yesterday, the other part I did thought/speculated out myself.

The story is about a demon(?)/humanoid(?) who once brought darkness and terror to the world, but was defeated in the end. However, two out of tree of his generals, started to resurrect him in secrecy....
It's tough to write fantasy fiction these days. There's a "more of the same" stigma attached to the genre. This is not necessarily bad. But it's a good idea to remember what's been done many times over the last fifty years, and what is still considered fresh. You could start researching this by browsing TVTropes' discussions, osuch as http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/S ... JRRTolkien or perhaps http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/S ... banFantasy

I've had bunches of good ideas lately. Time to go through a few...

1. "Sympathetic Heroines." A boy asks his girlfriend to critique the rough draft of his harem game. So she playtests it, and finds out that it's full of worn-out cliches. It's the story of a boring loser who, through coincidences, gets a harem. Minimal plot, minimal conflict. The three girls are stereotypes: a tsundere, a moeblob, and a kuudere (emotionless-but-also-sweet) girl. They're written so uncreatively that it's almost intentionally bad. After several minutes of this, the girl who's playtesting the game is appalled.

And then a miracle happens. Either the girlfriend has a long dream, imagines herself in the game world, or maybe ends up in the game.

What happens as a result of this plot contrivance is character development. The following assumes the girlfriend actually ended up in the game (adjust for other plot devices): she meets the three heroines. It doesn't take long until she realizes they're not all that shallow. The tsundere is patient with most people, and she has a reason to be annoyed with the guy. The moeblog is putting on an act, and she has few illusions about what it takes to be attractive. The kuudere is slowly recovering from some rough experiences, and is increasingly social with people in general. After meeting them, the girlfriend also realizes that she has things in common with them.

The biggest challenge of all: can she warm up to the loser guy? She's pretty convinced that he's just a Marty Stu version of her real life boyfriend.

2. "Fantasies and Reality." Inspired by two blog entries from the Chocoholic's Rantings: http://phoenixrose.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... imulations and http://phoenixrose.wordpress.com/2009/0 ... real-life/

Given the option to live in a fantasy world, would you take it? Is it wise to give up your romantic fantasies? These are powerful themes. And here's my game idea related to them.

The main character is a boy who doesn't feel his life is going anywhere. He meets a girl who's actively recruiting people to join her science fiction club. To use two more TVTropes phrases, she's a manic pixie dream girl as well as a cloud cuckoolander. He joins her club, and is surprised to find that it's a front for getting "normal" people to join her on an urgent mission back to her home world.

The boy is conflicted over whether his fantasies about love and adventure are good. The girl is not evil, but she's not necessarily an angel... her cause might seem noble, but it's not Lawful Good, and there's some evil deeds in her organization that aren't being addressed.

In addition to being a silly fantasy adventure, this story is about deciding what you want. The boy gets to determine his own alliances. He might side with the girl mentioned above. But he could take the side of people from the sci-fi club, who represent the real world (with varying degrees of how much they like fantasies). He could defect to the side the girl opposes, which is trying to merge realities together.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#398 Post by F.I.A »

You know what? I can no longer figure out just what is the purpose of this thread. Here we have people like gekiganwing dumping ideas upon ideas, each with its own uniqueness. So why instead of pouring some efforts put on working on some of the ideas, they are dumped without second thoughts? With your creativity, you can certainly move mountains.

(Also, as a side note, I've noticed some of the ideas that bear similarity with my works, and I've changed them just to be different. Please don't make me change more.)

The former paragraph is only half the truth. As if I cared being claimed of committing plagiarism. That said, seriously, stop dumping and try to work on some! Yes, try and move a mountain instead of just sand castles!
「通りすがりのメーカだ。覚えとけ。」

----------
Winter shard
WIP: Hyperion(Trace unknown), ?????(Progressing)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#399 Post by papillon »

At least for me, I dump ideas here because I am already overburdened with projects that I'm actively working on. I simply cannot carry out every idea that occurs to me!

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#400 Post by gekiganwing »

F.I.A wrote:...I can no longer figure out just what is the purpose of this thread. Here we have people like gekiganwing dumping ideas upon ideas, each with its own uniqueness....
:oops: I haven't completed much lately... Okay, some of the things I've posted have been ideas for seriously complex epics which I know would take years, even if I was paid. But I see your point...

That said, I will commit August 2009 to my own Nanoreno month, and work on something. I won't make the mistake of giving away plot details until it's 95% done.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Shiiro
Regular

#401 Post by Shiiro »

Is it because a lot of people here all have the same basic plot for their storie, no matter how complicated it gets, it's still something you play everyday? :?

But if you're trying to make a simple game, a normal KN or a dating-sim VN is okay.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#402 Post by papillon »

Upon reading the story at http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/sou ... 445513.stm I had a dumb idea for a game...

You received 15 minutes of fame and fortune for some reason. Maybe it was a lottery win, maybe you were on a gameshow, maybe you made a joke video that became the latest craze on youtube and was bought by a company, maybe you were plucked from nowhere to be a child star in a movie, whatever. Somehow, you got tons of money and EVERYONE heard of you. This led to your life becoming crazy, so in desperation you packed up and moved to a new town, new school, using a different name so you could get a fresh start. You'd like to meet a nice girl/boy and have a nice normal romance without them being after your fame and fortune.

Of course, even in your new environment, everyone's heard of you and gossips about 'you' - but they don't know that you are that guy! And there are people who knew you before still chasing you down to try and get a piece of you...

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#403 Post by gekiganwing »

papillon wrote:...Of course, even in your new environment, everyone's heard of you and gossips about 'you' - but they don't know that you are that guy! And there are people who knew you before still chasing you down to try and get a piece of you...
Being a celebrity is overrated. See http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... sOverrated

In most BxG visual novels, the audience only has a vague idea what the main character looks like.* (Except for the occasional GAR or experimental game, male leads are implicitly plain looking, and we rarely see their faces in detail.) This might be a good idea if the male lead is a celeb. The audience gets to hear his inner monologue and knows that he's ordinary, even while NPCs have crazy reactions when they see him. This might result in a theme in which the main character wants other people to realize he's normal.

If the main character is ashamed of his time in the spotlight, perhaps he might try to alter his appearance, go by a nickname, and tell people to keep his true identity a secret. If he just wants to take a break from celeb life, then maybe he can temporarily put on a disguise that fools most people.

*I have quite a few CG images from otome games. In most of them, the audience can clearly see the female lead's eyes and face.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#404 Post by Deji »

I don't know if this has been done, used or posted here before, but I was glancing through this http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread531040/pg2 and I thought it could be a nice base for a mystery story :3

If you're lazy to read, they basically talk about parallel universes, either you travelling through them without even knowing or just by parallel universes merging together.
This results on you (and maybe others) having a certain memory of something that happened (that you heard, watched, read about, etc) that later on you discover that it never happened, or that happened way later, or earlier, or it just happened (and made you realize that something is wrong).
And people around you don't remember what you remember because they never lived what you did... or did they?

So yeah, I think it could be an interesting start point for a story xD
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Headache
Regular

#405 Post by Headache »

Oh, something popped into my head while I was browsing TVTropes.

One day, the main character woke up to find himself turned into a girl and everybody around him changed genders as well. His mom turned into a girly dad and his dad turned into a manly mom - and his cute neighbour who has crush on him is now a 200-cm behemoth ultra bishie who has weird fantasies about him. XDD