[Suspended] Second Semester (iPhone)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
dstarsboy
Veteran

[Suspended] Second Semester (iPhone)

#1 Post by dstarsboy »

This project has currently been suspended. There is no date set for it's revival.

DateSim: Second Semester.

You Tube Video (Game Demo)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2bHxD5wO_g

App Store Artwork

App Icon

A story about a young man's second semester at University and his romantic adventures\complications with three female students Roxy, Tenten and Yurichi.

To start with, I'm a programmer, not an artist or a writer so I'm starting with a very simple story probably very similar to others you have seen before. Since I'm making it for the iPhone and it's my first dating simulation game, I don't want to shoot too high or too far with unique concepts or ideas until I know I can make it happen.

Release Date: November 1, 2009
Endings: 4
Play time: N/A
Genre: BxG

I don't expect alot of posts on this thread, since I'm sure very few of you have iPhones or iPod Touches, but this is more of a self-motivational tool, hehe, however, any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Story: 100%
Script: 100%
Background Art: 100%
Gallery Art: 100%
Character Art: 100%
Music/Sound: 85%
Technology: 85%
---------------
Total Progress: 95%

My Crappy-Spare-Time-Side-Project Website
http://www.manticoremobile.com/sec.aspx

Special thanks to Vatina for helping me out with character and gallery art!

Main characters:

Tenten Nara
The shy/quiet girl. She's your best friend since you were young and now you're going to university together... but something's different.

Roxy Sanders
The sporty/tomboy girl. Your teammate on the school's ice hockey team. She always seems to date jerks... will you be able to save her?

Yurichi Kuna
The rich/snobby girl. This is the girl you've had a crush on for months... is now the right time to finally ask her out?

Side characters:

Kevin Volkman Roxy's boyfriend and your main rival.
Josh Brooks Kevin's best friend but he has a good heart.
Guy Turgeon Your womanizing roommate from France. Great for relationship advice.
Attachments
mainmenu.png
Last edited by dstarsboy on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 15 times in total.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: iPhone VN: Second Semester

#2 Post by dstarsboy »

Thank you for the PMs, I've found my artist in Vatina. Edited main post. I will post any future updates.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Second Semester

#3 Post by dstarsboy »

UPDATE:
- Added profiles
- Added new art
- Updated progress
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

dstarsboy
Veteran

#4 Post by dstarsboy »

I stayed up all night last night drawing these! My first time drawing anything in a loooong time. I can't take credit for Roxy, that pose was from some other art I had. But the other two... I slaved away on with blood and tears and sweat! So I'm gonna post them because I'm so proud.

There's still some problems proportionately (Josh's gloves, Kevin's stick and shorts, etc) and stuff that I need to fix but, what the hell, progress is progress.

These are some other players on your ice hockey team, the Bobcats!
Attachments
Kevin Volkman. Team captain and top player. Roxy's ex-boyfriend. He does NOT like you one bit.
Kevin Volkman. Team captain and top player. Roxy's ex-boyfriend. He does NOT like you one bit.
Roxy Sanders. A girl you may or may not be interested in.
Roxy Sanders. A girl you may or may not be interested in.
Josh Brooks. The team bully. Don't make him mad.
Josh Brooks. The team bully. Don't make him mad.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

#5 Post by Midnighticequeen »

:D Awesome artwork! I'm looking forward to playing your game. Please keep up the good work

ebonyskies
Regular
Projects: Visit to Nowhere (WIP) and Pet Project--Cat Girl

#6 Post by ebonyskies »

Oo, iphone/itouch eh? Awesome. =D Will it be free or pay-for?

Anyways, the art looks very nice. ^_^ I really hope this gets completed.
Currently in the pre-production stages of creating the VN Visit to Nowhere, a moderately dark modern fairytale. In progress thread will be created once out of the pre-production phase. =D

Plotting: 25%
Concept art: 80%
Demo: 50%

dstarsboy
Veteran

#7 Post by dstarsboy »

Thanks for the comments! I was beginning to think no one in the world except me has an iPhone or iPod touch. :P

Anyways, there will be a free version that takes you quite a ways into the story but the complete game will probably be 99 cents (at the most $1.99). I just need to recoup some development costs, that's all, I'm really not in this to make money. It's sort of a hobby of mine.

I have a question:
For replay-ability, I have a system in place that not only unlocks gallery endings but an additional "outfit" gallery for the 3 main girls (they only appear in certain outfits based on certain circumstances). But is unlocking outfits "gay"? I can't imagine myself being very motivated to replay a game to do that.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#8 Post by sake-bento »

"Gay" is relative (and in my opinion, a very misplaced choice of word). It doesn't affect the gameplay, so anyone who doesn't feel like it doesn't have to. So I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

(For what it's worth, I'm currently on my fourth run of Star Ocean 3 just so I can gain more trophies and unlock the female protagonists' maid outfits.)

dstarsboy
Veteran

#9 Post by dstarsboy »

sake-bento wrote:"Gay" is relative (and in my opinion, a very misplaced choice of word). It doesn't affect the gameplay, so anyone who doesn't feel like it doesn't have to. So I don't think there's anything wrong with it.

(For what it's worth, I'm currently on my fourth run of Star Ocean 3 just so I can gain more trophies and unlock the female protagonists' maid outfits.)
Ack! Sorry, I didn't mean "gay" in such a derogatory way! This is where I pipe into a story about my best friend of 15 years being gay and me having a very relaxed and guilt-free use of this word around him... but wow, I can't believe I actually wrote that into a public forum post! My sincerest apologies to anyone I've offended.

That being said, thanks for the reply Sake, I guess I'll continue down that path!
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#10 Post by sake-bento »

Derogatory or not, I can never figure out exactly what people mean when they say it. It has a really nebulous sort of negative connotation that makes is difficult for me to pinpoint what people mean when they say it. For instance, if you meant would people consider it pointless, then I'd say no. If you meant would people consider it tedious, then I might say yes. It was more a commentary on the fact that I don't fully understand what people mean when they say it rather than being offended by its use.

ebonyskies
Regular
Projects: Visit to Nowhere (WIP) and Pet Project--Cat Girl

#11 Post by ebonyskies »

Costume unlockables are worth it if they are really cool, really cute, or really hilarious. I mean, I wouldn't play through again just so someone's shirt can change color and have a different logo on it. XD But say...if there's a cat outfit or yeti suit then I'm all for it. :lol:
Currently in the pre-production stages of creating the VN Visit to Nowhere, a moderately dark modern fairytale. In progress thread will be created once out of the pre-production phase. =D

Plotting: 25%
Concept art: 80%
Demo: 50%

V2Blast
Regular

#12 Post by V2Blast »

Really, I see such unlockables more as bonuses for playing through the game again (which would be fun to play through again anyway) rather than the primary motivator for replaying the game.

Too bad the full game costs money. I don't have a credit card yet, and my dad doesn't let me buy anything on iTunes/the App Store (seriously). :?
Pie is delicious.

dstarsboy
Veteran

#13 Post by dstarsboy »

ebonyskies wrote:Costume unlockables are worth it if they are really cool, really cute, or really hilarious. I mean, I wouldn't play through again just so someone's shirt can change color and have a different logo on it. XD But say...if there's a cat outfit or yeti suit then I'm all for it.
I'm definitely going to keep the unlockable outfits... I hadn't planned on doing anything really wild like you described but that's an excellent idea! I'll see what I can do. (Cat outfit! Cat outfit!)
V2Blast wrote:Too bad the full game costs money. I don't have a credit card yet, and my dad doesn't let me buy anything on iTunes/the App Store (seriously). :?
Oh, I forgot. Apple allows me to generate up to 100 coupon codes so that people can get the game for free. Once it's released, if anyone from this forum has an iPod touch or iPhone just PM me and I'll be happy to give you a free code (until I run out, of course).
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

V2Blast
Regular

#14 Post by V2Blast »

Ah. In that case, tell me the second it's done. :D
Pie is delicious.

dstarsboy
Veteran

#15 Post by dstarsboy »

Just did a big update to this page. Should be my last for a little while, though. I've still got a long way to go but I'm really pushing for a Oct 1 completion date.

Here are a few ingame screenshots
Attachments
Example of how the choices will appear in game. They fly in from the right.
Example of how the choices will appear in game. They fly in from the right.
Screen before choices.
Screen before choices.
Vatina's amazing gallery art.
Vatina's amazing gallery art.
The above Roxy hockey drawing in action.
The above Roxy hockey drawing in action.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus