"Pet" project (Needs lots of help, come sign up!)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
ebonyskies
Regular
Projects: Visit to Nowhere (WIP) and Pet Project--Cat Girl

Re: "Pet" project (Needs lots of help, come sign up!)

#46 Post by ebonyskies »

I think think everyone who can draw at all should contribute their own sprites. And the backgrounds could be universal, done by one person. I dunno, I kinda like the eclectic feel of different artists. It gives it more character, I think. Of course, people who can't or don't want to draw could opt to have someone else draw for them.

And I agree that each should code their own part. I mean, everyone could always ask questions about coding in the ren'py part of the forum. That is what it's for. And for something with only three possible endings for each pet, it shouldn't get too complicated. Although a coder might be nice for customization of the menu and other such extraneous touches. =D

Oh, also, will there be music? If so, will we just take pre-existing cc licensed stuff or would we be looking for someone to compose?
Currently in the pre-production stages of creating the VN Visit to Nowhere, a moderately dark modern fairytale. In progress thread will be created once out of the pre-production phase. =D

Plotting: 25%
Concept art: 80%
Demo: 50%

deerchan
Regular
Projects: Secrets, hoho >3

#47 Post by deerchan »

Okay, I guess I'll repeat it AGAIN...

All backgrounds will be drawn by one person. (In color, not filtered) I will be providing music, I know a good site with tons of music for free use (SENTIVE.com).

And this will be all one game- so I think it'd be good if we made a VERY BASIC style people could copy that will fit everyone's skill level. It might be a sideproject game, but it won't be too hard to make it look the best we can.

Again- I can color very quickly, specially if we made it a basic style with only one outfit ect.

Speaking of the outfits, they should be basic too. These are half-animal people, they probably don't feel comfortable in jeans or school uniforms yet (Also noting that narrator most likely doesn't have the funds to buy them clothes since they're paying off their house still...)
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a
The Pet Project is up and running! Come join us!
We still need a background artist, coders, writers and demo testers.

I can be flat out stupid sometimes. Specially in forums. Please bare with me.

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#48 Post by Sapphi »

LVUER wrote:How about Cute and Fluffy Project? They have different art style for each story. Is it bothering you? Although this Pet Project would be quite different since it's one big story with lots of small stories.
No, it doesn't bother me at all, I was just making a general statement about my doubts that lots of different artists at all different skill levels could make their styles look super-similar.

In fact, I'm kinda nervous if I'll be able to make myself adhere to a different style T_T; (I like my art the way it is, lol)

Maybe I should just shut up and start doodling my concept =w=
What do you guys think, older fox girl (20's) or little girl?
Here's my little version. >w<
Attachments
Something like this, maybe?
Something like this, maybe?
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Jing Ying

#49 Post by Jing Ying »

Okay, here's my brief character sketch. The hair's different 'cuz I was debating between which, but I think the one on the right would better suit her rabbity-gentle image? Dunno. ^_^;; I decided to make her a soft-spoken, ladylike kinda girl. Hee.

I was thinking that since they don't have any clothes, and the protagonist probably doesn't have any girls' clothes either, they'd wear his clothes, instead (overdone, I know, orz). But it's a simple, no-frills kinda thing, and it'll still be standardised, though we can probably change the pattern on the shirts and stuff. ^_^; And will the pet have a name -- maybe we could use a user-input-variable-thing (or whatever they call it in fancy programming language) and let the player name for him/herself?
Attachments
usagi copy.png

Vector_matt

#50 Post by Vector_matt »

@Jing Ying
Allowing the player to name them would be pretty easy, but we'd also need a default name in case they don't input anything (e.g. if they can't think of any good names).
Here's some example code in case anyone wants it. Obviously replace the variable names and the color with ones pertaining to your specific character.

Code: Select all

(for "init" block)
$ hedgy = DynamicCharacter("hedgyname", color="#007fff")

(for "start" block)
$ hedgyname = renpy.input("Please name the hedgehog.") or "Hedgehog"

(to have others say the name use "%(hedgyname)s", and yes the "s" at the end is needed. Example:)
"Hello %(hedgyname)s, how are you?"
And no, her default name will not be "Hedgehog" I just couldn't think of a good one off the top of my head to put in the example code.

@deerchan
Just FYI, I'd like the hedgehog to be wearing shorts and a t-shirt by default, also I'd prefer if she wasn't pink (pink can be used where necessary of course, just so long as it's not one of the main colors). Other than that, pretty much anything you come up with should be fine.
And thanks again for being willing to do the art for her.

Taesun

#51 Post by Taesun »

Hi, I'm a newb!
(well, that sure was a bad way to start a post...)

Er, well I was hoping I could jump aboard and help out with the fish! Please?
I did a trial sketch (I hope I'm good enough)! A very quick one... xD
Glad that someone else is doing the colouring xD Because frankly I suck, lol.
Attachments
fishsketch.png
소녀시대<3
Gee Gee Gee Gee baby baby

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#52 Post by sake-bento »

She's...so cute...

These girls are so so cute. I was trying to stay away from this project because I'm trying to concentrate on other work right now. But...so cute...D:

J-chan
Regular
Completed: Notions: First Movement
Projects: Notions

#53 Post by J-chan »

Man, I don't know if I have time, but I definitely want to try and help with this once I'm caught up on my own game!
Notions: First Movement - a J-channel game
A simple love story that began with a suicide note.

(an old early version of a much bigger WIP - stay tuned!)

Mario_Kun
Projects: Fairy Tale VN

#54 Post by Mario_Kun »

I want to help! Can I do the fish? =D I want to do the fish.

Vector_matt

#55 Post by Vector_matt »

Mario_Kun wrote:I want to help! Can I do the fish? =D I want to do the fish.
Check three posts above yours. Fish has sort of been taken, I think...

<offtopic> :shock: The maximum amount of characters in a post is listed as sixty thousand, wow.</offtopic>

deerchan
Regular

#56 Post by deerchan »

I'm so happy people are taking interest in this! x3 Yeeey!
Taesun wrote:Hi, I'm a newb!
(well, that sure was a bad way to start a post...)

Er, well I was hoping I could jump aboard and help out with the fish! Please?
I did a trial sketch (I hope I'm good enough)! A very quick one... xD
Glad that someone else is doing the colouring xD Because frankly I suck, lol.

THAT IS SO ADORABLE. You have the Job, sir!~ And you do NOT suck!! Your art is amazing!!
Jing Ying wrote:Okay, here's my brief character sketch. The hair's different 'cuz I was debating between which, but I think the one on the right would better suit her rabbity-gentle image? Dunno. ^_^;; I decided to make her a soft-spoken, ladylike kinda girl. Hee.

I was thinking that since they don't have any clothes, and the protagonist probably doesn't have any girls' clothes either, they'd wear his clothes, instead (overdone, I know, orz). But it's a simple, no-frills kinda thing, and it'll still be standardised, though we can probably change the pattern on the shirts and stuff. ^_^; And will the pet have a name -- maybe we could use a user-input-variable-thing (or whatever they call it in fancy programming language) and let the player name for him/herself?
Soo cute, yes, the clothes are just what I was thinking! (Kinda reminds me of Twei :3) And her personality is perfect for a rabbit. Naming- Yes. We should. It's not too hard ^^
@deerchan
Just FYI, I'd like the hedgehog to be wearing shorts and a t-shirt by default, also I'd prefer if she wasn't pink (pink can be used where necessary of course, just so long as it's not one of the main colors). Other than that, pretty much anything you come up with should be fine.
And thanks again for being willing to do the art for her.
Okay, again, NO NORMAL CLOTHES. They come in a box from a factory, they wouldn't be wearing normal clothes. :( I actually sketched her out, I'm thinking she should be a sleepy character, since hedgehogs are sleepy. (which will add to the cute!)
hedge.jpg
I know she looks sad, I just did this quickly, she's supposed to look sleepy xD; I can change the clothes too. But something simple- like an over-sized tshirt ect, because they all come naked.

I'll try to respond to more later x-x heeee~

Okay now...

UPDATE. PLEASE READ.

I realized the game would probably be boring if we DID conform to a style... So keep your styles xD;

THAT BEING SAID. I'm going to mention this for the fifth time:

THE CHARACTERS CANNOT HAVE NORMAL CLOTHING UNLESS YOU WANT TO MAKE MORE THAN ONE SPRITE SET. The characters do NOT come with clothing (Naked... hey, they're pets!) so when you have them at first they should have something on that the guy character has- such as a baggy t-shirt or a hoodie. You can have an event when the player can get the pet clothing, but know that you'll have to have a seperate sprite set WITH the clothing. (If I'm going to be your artist, I most likely won't do this, I don't have time)
I know some of you understand that but many don't xD; just reminding you all.

I'll go update the taken list as soon as I can.

Also I've got the ferret sketched:
Untitled.jpg

I think I'll change her clothes to a hoodie... Anyways, she's a spunky, teasing girl who loves to eat and never sleeps. Woo!

lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

#57 Post by lunasspecto »

I imagine the bird character would be feathered - like Big Bird.

Honestly, I only signed up to do this because I wanted to write a blatantly metaphorical story about flight and freedom. Is that alright?
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

deerchan
Regular

#58 Post by deerchan »

lunasspecto wrote:I imagine the bird character would be feathered - like Big Bird.

Honestly, I only signed up to do this because I wanted to write a blatantly metaphorical story about flight and freedom. Is that alright?
I guess... But it's a dating sim, people will want to play it for a cute story with romance. :O

Vector_matt

#59 Post by Vector_matt »

Any chance the hedgehog could have smuggled a sweatshirt, t-shirt, lab-coat, something, along with her somehow? I understand that the people running the place probably wouldn't have bothered to supply clothing, but I'd personally be too embarrassed to write her as starting with absolutely no clothing. It's just so... awkward...
Last edited by Vector_matt on Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

V2Blast
Regular

#60 Post by V2Blast »

Vector_matt:
deerchan wrote:THAT BEING SAID. I'm going to mention this for the fifth time:

THE CHARACTERS CANNOT HAVE NORMAL CLOTHING UNLESS YOU WANT TO MAKE MORE THAN ONE SPRITE SET. The characters do NOT come with clothing (Naked... hey, they're pets!) so when you have them at first they should have something on that the guy character has- such as a baggy t-shirt or a hoodie. You can have an event when the player can get the pet clothing, but know that you'll have to have a seperate sprite set WITH the clothing. (If I'm going to be your artist, I most likely won't do this, I don't have time)
I know some of you understand that but many don't xD; just reminding you all.
Emphasis mine. You don't have to draw them naked. You don't have to describe in detail how naked the pet is. Perhaps just mention that you give her your coat/sweater/hoodie/whatever for now.
Pie is delicious.