Amgine Park - finally released

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#31 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:Yeah, I know. So would mikey, and PyTom. They're waaaay ahead of me. =)
I actually remember being a Giga-Fan before that fateful day...

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#32 Post by kara24601 »

Do you guys think I should put in an Amgine Park FAQ page
Yes!
Please and thank you.

( and "faqs" / walkthroughs for the other games would be nice too )

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#33 Post by rioka »

It's done! Amgine Park FAQ here.

As for FAQs for the other games - if I have time, maybe I'll make one for River Trap. :)

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#34 Post by mikey »

It's a very good FAQ - I was afraid it was going to be something like a walkthrough, but the hints are good and helpful without spoiling.
Oh, and I love this, quote: "Most guys liked Gen being single and just friends with Brent for some reason... ". What can we say... 8)

A River Trap FAQ... Wow! :oops:

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#35 Post by rioka »

lol I knew you would pick up on that quote! XD

Anyways, yeah, a RT FAQ. I had to map out all the choices to get all of your endings. Good thing I still kept it. It'll make things a lot easier. ^^

mrsulu
Regular
Completed: Lady Sugarplum's Bad Day

A. Park good game.

#36 Post by mrsulu »

Liked it a lot. Oil-paint art very striking. I like romance novels, and this reminded me of one.

bookie
Veteran

#37 Post by bookie »

Damn, after reading the FAQ I realized if I had just saved at a certain time, I probably would have been able to cut a lot of repeat play off. >.<

I got ending 4 on my first try, and I can already tell it will probably be my favorite.

TheOnlyOneKunobi
Regular
Location: The Call is Coming From Inisde the House....... In England

#38 Post by TheOnlyOneKunobi »

I really enjoyed Amgine park; playing from new perspective is always a good thing and I enjoyed the art and dialouge buuuut.......
Once again in a Ren'Ai game I ended up hating the male character, Brent suxs, he's a huge symbol for the perfect man! I can't compete with him! He represents the kind of guy whose very exsistance pokes holes in my own, even though he's a nice guy I hate him! But I like to hate him so I'd say the game was a sucess!
"God and Buddah, if you really do exist please know ........................ YOU ARE BOTH MY ENEMY!"
- Excel Excel

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#39 Post by Blue Lemma »

Once again in a Ren'Ai game I ended up hating the male character, Brent suxs, he's a huge symbol for the perfect man! I can't compete with him! He represents the kind of guy whose very exsistance pokes holes in my own, even though he's a nice guy I hate him! But I like to hate him so I'd say the game was a sucess!
Hey eclipse, I think you might have just gotten the best compliment ever! :wink:

Icekiss
Regular

#40 Post by Icekiss »

Just wanted to report a bug I found.
I have already finished the game several times. This time I tried to gather as many objects as possible. The game crashed on me where normally a choice of my objects should have been provided. In particular, it was the first time I had the handkerchief with me.

Backtrace (hope this helps):

File "amgine.py", line 61, in ?
renpy.main.main(options.game)
File "/home/martin/downloads/games/renpy/amginepark/renpy/main.py", line 181, in main
run(restart)
File "/home/martin/downloads/games/renpy/amginepark/renpy/main.py", line 145, in run
game.context().run()
File "/home/martin/downloads/games/renpy/amginepark/renpy/execution.py", line 92, in run
node = node.execute()
File "/home/martin/downloads/games/renpy/amginepark/renpy/ast.py", line 514, in execute
choice = renpy.exports.menu(choices, self.set)
File "/home/martin/downloads/games/renpy/amginepark/renpy/exports.py", line 176, in menu
items = [ (label, value)
File "/home/martin/downloads/games/renpy/amginepark/renpy/python.py", line 687, in py_eval
renpy.game.store)
File "<none>", line 1, in <expression>
NameError: name 'quarter' is not defined

The last script statement executed was on line 1814 of game/script.rpy.
If you are a debian linux user, take a look at my program: http://deb-install.sourceforge.net/

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#41 Post by rioka »

Blue Lemma wrote:
Hey eclipse, I think you might have just gotten the best compliment ever! :wink:
lol I think you're right!
Does that mean you like the "Just Friends" ending as well, TheOnlyOneKunobi? ;)
Icekiss wrote:Just wanted to report a bug I found.
I have already finished the game several times. This time I tried to gather as many objects as possible. The game crashed on me where normally a choice of my objects should have been provided. In particular, it was the first time I had the handkerchief with me.
Did you play straight through or did you save and then later resume?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#42 Post by PyTom »

Icekiss: You may be able to fix the problem you had by running the command:

Code: Select all

touch nopsyco
In the directory you run python in. It should (hopefully) prevent the problem from reoccuring, but the save file is corrupt for good.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Icekiss
Regular

#43 Post by Icekiss »

Thanks alot for the help. Yes, I had probably reloaded somewhere along the way.
I touched the file, reran the game, and had no more problems... :D

With that, I have now gotten all 5 endings. I just didn't search for any easter eggs.
And with that, I can give a few comments about the game. :wink:

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

First of, the big plus: I really, really liked the main character, Gen. I had the feeling that I really got to know her, was with her in her head during the story. Her introspection never seemed artificial, but completely natural, and in character. She seems very believable, and very likable.

Furthermore, the game had a very consistent atmosphere, which was in perfect harmony with the story being told. Lighthearted, curious, and just a bit mysterious. Very appealing. :D Oh, and the detailed, colorful backgrounds contributed to that a lot.

Considering that atmosphere is one of the big strenghts of this game, you might consider a rerelease should you ever happen to find suitable music you are allowed to use. I can imagine that it could further improve the game by a great deal.

I needed the hint file to realize that ONLY the objects determined which ending I got. I don't think that solution is ideal. Of course, the game is done and out (and by no means bad), so this is just sth. to keep in mind for future projects.
I think that by doing it that way, you take a lot of responsibility from the players actions. I can say the dumbest things, be uncaring and abrupt, and my chances for finding my luck with this guy are exactly the same as if I tease him, show kindness, and make the whole experience as romantic as I can.

Actually, the first time I played through the game, I already handled myself pretty well, and got the impression that Brent liked me too. At the end of the way, I chose to go on, as I was pretty sure we would find the dog at the entrance, and I wanted to end Brents anguish. Result: Game over, we remain only acquaintances. :evil:
Hello? Is that guy stupid? For that matter, is Gen stupid? That definitely didn't match with the characterisation I had seen (and played) of her in the game...
Maybe that highlights why I don't think that the gamesystem used is all that clever...

Mind you, that doesn't keep the story from being well told, nor the main character from being very likable, nor the atmosphere from being well chosen. And the backgrounds are still good...

Another, but fairly minor point: I was a bit disappointed that the story left a few major loose ends lying around. I really expected to figure out in one of the endings what Brent meant by speaking about his garden and his pools(!) I am sure he is not contrived enough to have spoken about his eyes...

So, all in all, a game that drew me in two directions: In some ways, it is really excellently done, but in another, I think it suffers from a bad design decision.
All in all, definitely worthwhile to play. And after all, its free! :D

Thanks alot for sharing it with us, Eclipse. :D
If you are a debian linux user, take a look at my program: http://deb-install.sourceforge.net/

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor

#44 Post by rioka »

Thanks for a lengthy and forthcoming review. =)

Anyways, yes, a music soundtrack would definitely bring the game play up a bit. During development, there are a few tracks that I have found but due to time constraints I didn't find enough tracks to cover the whole game. Music is definitely in consideration should I ever redo the game.
As for the way it is set up, this game wasn't supposed to be like normal ren'ai games. Factor this: Gen is basically tired of the dating scene and is pretty much set in her single state. No matter how nice or mean she is to someone - she is, deep down, still in that old-maid-mind-frame. If anything was to shake her off of that, it would have to be something, or at least indirectly, out of her hands.... That is where the statue comes in. What is it? What does it do? Why is it there? I was going to explain a bit about it in the ending but I decided to just leave it a mystery (until some time I should ever feel like explaining it further...). From my point of view, some things are better left unsaid and open for interpretation than leaving it cut-and-dry and black-and-white particularly in this game.

For example, some relationships are rocky on the outside with couples constantly arguing but deep down, they like each other (Ranma & Akane comes to mind...), while in another relationship, everything is all lovey-dovey; proper words said, etc etc. (Kenji & Belldandy anyone?); and then there is the usual relationships where one may say the right things at times but mess up in another moment (due to bad mood, distractedness, misunderstanding, or other factor). If you say the proper things plus say mean things in this game - it will fall under the third aspect and it's perfectly okay, imo. Some guys do not like proper girls, and would prefer those with attitude and some will go for something completely different. If you're mean to Brendt - maybe he's too polite to say something back, or maybe he's just grateful for your help in finding his dog that he doesn't mind your surliness. Each situation can be interpreted in many ways.

This game also addresses the usual "meet a girl or boy and automatically fall in love" routine. I did not want that for this game, hence the basic acquaintances ending. The only way out of that is the statue.

As for the loose ends with Brent - pools, garden, and whatnot - it was to be explained along with the statue in one of the endings but I cut it out since a) I thought it was fairly self-explanatory that if someone speaks of (enter expensive item here) that he/she is likely loaded, and b) time constraints (i.e. no time to make images by hand unfortunately).
I'm glad to hear you like it! Should I make any future game using this design, I'll keep your words in mind. =)
Last edited by rioka on Tue Jun 14, 2005 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#45 Post by mikey »

I enjoyed AP actually because of all that. It's moving at a slower pace and although ren'ai, it doesn't force you into a relationship. I appreciate the more natural way of getting to know someone (and starting to like, love him later) in AP, because it's sort of how things usually go outside of the world of pick-up bars and alcohol parties.