7%
FF XI
4%
FF X-2
2%

Total votes: 57

kara24601
Veteran
Projects: Numerous unfinished dreams await completion.

#31 Post by kara24601 »

Older FF games and the remakes for the GBA versions. I haven't yet really played any of the newer games , from like FF8 or so and on...but I hope to someday. I've played a demo of one of the newer games ( can't remember which ) and it seems pretty cool. I like FF3 / ( FF6 or whatever over in Japan...the one with Kefka ) because it's the first game that ever made me cry and one of the few games that has ever made me cry. ( Because of the part with Celes and the cliff.... )

Kuzlalala
Regular
Projects: New Dynamic English: The Tour

Re: Favorite FF

#32 Post by Kuzlalala »

(reviving the thread)

I'd have to say Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, since it was the first game I've played and finished 100% (and there's Montblanc in it).

Final Fantasy Tactics A2 might go into my faves, too. But I've only been until when Luso finds Montblanc at Fluorgis.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#33 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

I have voted (now) for FF VIII, whose was my first Final Fantasy (and JCRPG), and since then, my opinion on Japanese console role-play games have changed overnight :D

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

Aang
Regular
Projects: Gen'sou shrine

#34 Post by Aang »

I really liked FFIX. The characters were awesome, the story was awesome and I was so powerful that I could've beaten the final boss with just Zidane, the main character, lol.

Ramidel
Regular

#35 Post by Ramidel »

Kick the OP for not including Tactics, which had the best storyline of any of them.

And they bloody should -not- have placed it in the same canon as the other FFT games. The original Ivalice was made the way it was for a reason; it wasn't supposed to be a world with half-naked rabbit girls all over the place. Then they dropped in a bunch of stupid kids and made it a standard FF world.

I hope they revisit the Lion War timeline at some point...wait, no, they'll bring the Viera along for the ride and murder my childhood.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#36 Post by Aleema »

Yay! I'm glad this thread was revived. :)

My favorite FF, symbollically, is FF8 because it was my first. You always remember your first, right? Well, it was also one of the first two games I ever got for my first Playstation. That's some pretty heavy nostalgia there. Of course, I did go back and play FF7, but by that time, it was already spoiled to me that Aeris dies, and I kept anticipating it ... which made the entire time until she did very uncomfortable. Comparing the two games retrospectively ... well, I don't think either one is better than the other, outside of graphics. Personally, I think a lot of people like FF7 because it was their first, too. (I was just a little late getting into gaming.) Because, frankly, FF6 has a better story than either FF7 or FF8.

Now, my real favorite is FF10. The world of Spira fascinated me so much, and I love the characters and the angst ... Because of the voice acting, you were intimately involved in each cutscene. At my age when I play my first FFs, reading every little bit of dialogue was basically out of the question because of my attention span. (That's much different now.) Because the world was so unique and well-defined, the characters glowed. I was left with a heavy impression from the game that allowed me to play it over and over again. FFX-2, while mostly fluff, had its moments. My most favorite FMV of all time is the 1000 Words cinematic.

I didn't like FF9 much at all. I'd elaborate, but who cares? FF12 was an amazing RPG. I loved to play the game. The story was a little flat to me because I didn't care about Vaan/Penelo (but everyone else was involving), and ... I guess because I'm a girl, but the no romance thing was disappointing and confusing because of the ending theme. But, we can always imagine there was something there that wasn't shown. :)

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#37 Post by blankd »

FF8 just because of the killer-pets-sim. I liked raising them up and making everyone into slaughter machines.

In terms of story I would have liked it to be a bit better, mainly the Squall -> hating Rinoa every other second then -> I can't live without you (especially since we can see his thoughts and none of this thoughts indicated any change going on). I would have also liked Rinoa to be a little less incompetent. But Zell was awesome so that's ok. The time thing felt ham-fisted but then again anything involving time-travel typically is.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#38 Post by musical74 »

Generally speaking, you tend to remember the first Final Fantasy that you played fondly :) That being said, I would NOT call the first FF I played as my favorite - but then, I've played through the series as it grew from infancy. Final Fantasy was a good game, a fun game, but my all time favorite of the 10 FF games I've played has been Final Fantasy 6 or Final Fantasy Tactics.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

V2Blast
Regular

#39 Post by V2Blast »

I never really liked any of the Final Fantasy games that much... Not so much because of the story, but because of the combat system. Something about it I just can't stand...
Pie is delicious.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#40 Post by LVUER »

And why is that? Or it's just you don't like JRPG battle system? I'm curious...

V2Blast
Regular

#41 Post by V2Blast »

Well, if that is what the generic "JRPG battle system" is, then yes, I don't like it. It's not at all real-time, and the random encounters are generally repetitive and boring (then again, that's often the case with random encounters).
Pie is delicious.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#42 Post by LVUER »

Then perhaps I could recommend Final Fantasy XI. Since it uses MMORPG battle system style (almost real time in real field), using similar loot system, and the excellent automatic action of Gambit (quite fun for a programmer to mess around). And also Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter which has no random encounter (not an FF, but I think you should try it). Both are JRPG which don't use generic JRPG battle system.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#43 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

Well, personally I like turn-based battlesystem, or hybrid because I'm always a strategist/tactician whose I like mind challenges instead of action playing and pondering with ease the next move or course of action (here in Italy we say "in amore e guerra tutto e permesso" meaning, in love and war all (honourable) tactics & schemes are permissible)

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#44 Post by LVUER »

LVUER wrote:Then perhaps I could recommend Final Fantasy XI. Since it uses MMORPG battle system style (almost real time in real field), using similar loot system, and the excellent automatic action of Gambit (quite fun for a programmer to mess around). And also Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter which has no random encounter (not an FF, but I think you should try it). Both are JRPG which don't use generic JRPG battle system.
Oops. Correction! It supposed to be FFXII (Final Fantasy 12) since FFXI is a real MMORPG, while FFXII (the one I'm talking about) is a simulation of MMORPG (offline version of online game). It also has no random encounter since all monster is present/placed on the map.

dott.Piergiorgio
Veteran

#45 Post by dott.Piergiorgio »

Oops. Correction! It supposed to be FFXII (Final Fantasy 12) since FFXI is a real MMORPG, while FFXII (the one I'm talking about) is a simulation of MMORPG (offline version of online game). It also has no random encounter since all monster is present/placed on the map.
Personally, I hope that that FF XIV has an offline story mode, like Sacred 2 or various tactical/military FPS....

crossing fingers

Best regards from Italy,
Dott. Piergiorgio.

[EDIT] Corrected the quoting, my apologies