[WIP] Mass Effect: Horizon

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Remmak

[WIP] Mass Effect: Horizon

#1 Post by Remmak »

Author's Notes: This is a "fan" game. I am in no way associated with Bioware or EA. I am not making money off of this. I do not own Mass Effect, it's universe or it's characters. Thank you.

Mass Effect: Horizon

Synopsis: Blair Hodges is a human engineer who has recently been hired as a shuttle mechanic by Administrator Lorik Qu'inn of the Noveria Development Corp. She is stationed at Port Hanshan under the authority of head mechanic Lilihierax, where the pair struggles to avoid the pitfalls of local politics. When a routine service call to Peak 19 goes awry, they discover just how many secrets the Noveria corporations keep...

Motivation: Many female players were disappointed by the lack of a romance option for the turian character Garrus in Bioware's sci-fi epic Mass Effect, and I, personally, was disappointed by certain male-centric aspects of the game. After thinking on it for awhile, I resolved to make a little mini-game where a turian character is romancable, and one where females are the intended audience. At a later time, I may support a play-though from Li's perspective, but for the first release, only Blair's side of the story will be playable.

I was already familiar with the Ren'py engine from earlier, less ambitious projects, and after seeing Mass Effect: Galaxy for the iPhone, I decided I no longer had an excuse to not make this game. I can do the art, I can do the programming, and I have the story. Now, it's just a matter of time and support. I will update this thread with info and art as it becomes available.

What I hope to accomplish with this game:
  • Branching dialog that allows for multiple player-types and play styles
    Three unique endings based on player choices
    Two hours minimum of gameplay
    Persistent data for potential future installments
    An "unlockable" special scene gallery
Characters:

Blair Hodges - Human - Player Character

As a child, Blair was heavily influenced by her father, an ex-pilot for the Systems Alliance. As a result, she values discipline, personal responsibility, respect, and preparedness, but despite her interest in her father's former life, her more sensitive personality made her steer away from the life of a soldier.

She discovered her mechanical aptitude early in life, beginning work on ATVs and moving up to the internal workings of Alliance cruisers. After high school, Blair enrolled in an intensive four-year program to study aerospace engineering. Her bright future came to a sudden, tragic halt when, during a vacation to celebrate her graduation, she and her father were involved in a shuttle collision. The accident left Blair's father dead and herself badly injured.

After being rushed to the hospital, Blair's mangled left arm had to be amputated, leaving her reliant upon a poor prosthetic. Devastated and dissatisfied with her synthetic substitute, she switched the focus of her studies from aerospace to robotics, with the intention of designing a more useful replacement. After investing a lot of time and most of her savings into the project, she finally devised a detachable prosthetic housing an on-board omni-tool. Equipped with this new technology and her regained sense of independence, she took her first real job as a shuttle mechanic on the industrial world of Noveria; hoping to repair her flagging finances and catch the eyes of the planet's higher-ups in the process.

"I've had ficus with better personalities." (to Daxis)
"It's not a Swiss army knife you know..."
  • Blair comes to Noveria broke and bemused but determined to get on with her life. Her success - or failure - is in the player's hands.

Lilihierax - Turian - Major NPC

Lilihierax, or "Li" as he is better known, is the head mechanic of Port Hanshan's transport garage - and Blair's new boss. Like most turians, he is a reliable, honest worker, and his innate sense of order makes him good at his job. As a long time resident, Li knows the ins and outs of Noveria's corporate communities and is always up-to-date on important happenings. Ever since the melt-down of research Peak 15 however, things have been fairly quiet in the spaceport, leaving him without much to distract him from his day-to-day duties.

"Sometimes I talk slow, but that doesn't mean I'm stupid." (to Blair)
"Complain? And where will that get me?"
  • Li's job isn't as fulfilling as it used to be, and Port Hanshan's political intrigue is getting predictable. He's looking for something (or someone) to come along and make life interesting again.

Daxis - Salarian - Major NPC

A perennial grouch with quick tongue, Daxis sees the worst in everybody except himself. When he isn't busy complaining about the weather, his coworkers, or his short life-span, he can be found logging shipments in Port Hanshan's customs department. Despite his generally abrasive attitude, his fellow salarians treat him with great difference - something that seems to go unnoticed by other citizens who prefer to write him off as a common curmudgeon.

"Had a bad doughnut did you, big boy?" (to Li)
"Sh*t is going to hit the fan and it will not be evenly distributed!"
  • Daxis is surrounded by morons. He’s tired of fixing other people’s problems when they can fix it themselves.

Concept/Preliminary Art:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/ ... odies1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/vnk/space1.jpg

WIP Screenshots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/vnk/screen1.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v206/vnk/screen2.jpg
Last edited by Remmak on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:02 am, edited 8 times in total.

dstarsboy
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Mass Effect: Horizon

#2 Post by dstarsboy »

OMG, I love mass effect. I can't wait to see how this progresses!
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#3 Post by Samu-kun »

Heh... Romance options with a Turian... I was disappointed by the lack of good romance options period in Mass Effect. As well as a main quest that lasted no longer than six hours.

Will Rex be romanceable as well? XD No Krogan testicle jokes, please...

Remmak

#4 Post by Remmak »

Samu-kun wrote:Heh... Romance options with a Turian... I was disappointed by the lack of good romance options period in Mass Effect. As well as a main quest that lasted no longer than six hours.
Yes. I normally love Bioware NPCs and have a particular favorite, but nobody really hit a chord with me in Mass Effect for some reason. :/ I'll be glad to offer another option to players even if it isn't canon.
Samu-kun wrote:Will Rex be romanceable as well? XD No Krogan testicle jokes, please...
I'm brave, but I'm not that brave...

Aashtarsrain
Regular
Projects: Speed Dater Evolution, The Magistrate

#5 Post by Aashtarsrain »

:D Sounds good to me ! Can't wait playing this.

V2Blast
Regular

#6 Post by V2Blast »

MASS EFFECT GAME.

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Pie is delicious.

this_barb
Regular

#7 Post by this_barb »

Remmak wrote:Author's Notes: This is a "fan" game. I am in no way associated with Bioware or EA. I am not making money off of this. I do not own Mass Effect, it's universe or it's characters. Thank you.
This will not, in any way, protect you in a court of law.

Remmak

#8 Post by Remmak »

this_barb wrote:This will not, in any way, protect you in a court of law.
The odds of anyone coming after me for what amounts to a glorified piece of fanfiction are incredible slim. Modders of all types have been around for years without repercussion.

Do you have something constructive to say or are you just here to posture?

dstarsboy
Veteran

#9 Post by dstarsboy »

Looks amazing! Keep it up! :) I have Mass Effect 2 pre-ordered. :)
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

victorita9
Regular

#10 Post by victorita9 »

this_barb wrote:
Remmak wrote:Author's Notes: This is a "fan" game. I am in no way associated with Bioware or EA. I am not making money off of this. I do not own Mass Effect, it's universe or it's characters. Thank you.
This will not, in any way, protect you in a court of law.
i highly doubt that they would come after him because bioware supports people making mods for their games so why would they care about some visual novel. In their newest game dragon age they want people to change the game and make their own stories in the game. They would suffer some serious PR backlash if they sued him and he would literally have millions of supporters if bioware decided to sue himl

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Wintermoon »

Don't conflate mods with fan fiction. Mods require the original game to run. Many game developers/publishers support mods, because mods cause people to buy and play their game. The same developers/publisher may take a dim view of fan fiction, which does not require the original game to run, and may even compete with the original game and its various mods.

I do agree that the probability of being sued is minimal. In the worst case, you'll receive a cease-and-desist letter. Only if you fail to comply with the cease-and-desist do you run any real risk of being sued.

victorita9
Regular

#12 Post by victorita9 »

well your game looks awesome and i hope your finished work is exactly the way you want it to be and i hope you keep us updated on your progress so that i can squee.

I think the chance of anything happening to you is like a 1 in a billion. There is so much fanfiction about bioware games and some people even advertise their stories on the websites forum.

Remmak

#13 Post by Remmak »

Wintermoon wrote:Don't conflate mods with fan fiction. Mods require the original game to run. Many game developers/publishers support mods, because mods cause people to buy and play their game. The same developers/publisher may take a dim view of fan fiction, which does not require the original game to run, and may even compete with the original game and its various mods.

I do agree that the probability of being sued is minimal. In the worst case, you'll receive a cease-and-desist letter. Only if you fail to comply with the cease-and-desist do you run any real risk of being sued.
I would be highly, highly amused if anyone tried to sue me. It would be a great practice of futility and pettiness that, as the other poster mentioned, would cause a PR nightmare. For them.

Now, kindly leave my thread.
victorita9 wrote:well your game looks awesome and i hope your finished work is exactly the way you want it to be and i hope you keep us updated on your progress so that i can squee.

I think the chance of anything happening to you is like a 1 in a billion. There is so much fanfiction about bioware games and some people even advertise their stories on the websites forum.
Haha. I actually have a link to this thread in the signature of my account at Bioware's forums. There's a good chance one of them may have seen it already. Nobody's dropped a hammer on me yet. ;)

And I will continue working, no fear. I could easily change the title, the name of the places and replace the aliens with human models to suddenly make it 'my' game if need be. Either way, it's great practice for me both in the art and programming ends.

Ramidel
Regular

#14 Post by Ramidel »

Samu-kun wrote:Heh... Romance options with a Turian... I was disappointed by the lack of good romance options period in Mass Effect. As well as a main quest that lasted no longer than six hours.
What, Ashley wasn't loli enough? :) That said, yeah, the romance in Mass Effect was worse than BioWare usually gets. (Jade Empire was even worse though, if you can believe that.)
Samu-kun wrote:Will Rex be romanceable as well? XD No Krogan testicle jokes, please...
It's already too late for that. Fanfiction already has a full set of them.
---
Anyway, I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with in the final product...even if I notice a distinct lack of Quarian so far! </Tali fanboy>

Remmak

#15 Post by Remmak »

Ramidel wrote: Anyway, I'll be interested in seeing what you come up with in the final product...even if I notice a distinct lack of Quarian so far! </Tali fanboy>
Actually, one of the major NPCs is a quarian. However, this quarian is male and not romancable. Sorry. :(