A way to skip whole blocks of text like Tsukihime?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.

A way to skip whole blocks of text like Tsukihime?

#1 Post by Guest »

Tsukihime has a manual skip option to skip blocks of text already seen before ... is this handled by individually customized variables and scenes? I notice that Ren'Py "knows" if I've seen a line before, so is there a way to skip ALL of them on a replay with one menu option?

draringi
Regular
Projects: "Project Shi" (working title); "Project JanFeb" (working title:LSFCCVNG entry)

Re: A way to skip whole blocks of text like Tsukihime?

#2 Post by draringi »

... can't actually remember tsukihime having this... though Fate stay night did. the best way to do this (and probably how they did it in FSN) is to have perm variables for each scene that say whether it has been watched or not that are switched to true at the end of each scene, and have options as to whether to skip the scene or not appear at the start of each scene that has its "watched" variable set to true.
Current Project: Wolfram Shadow Devlog
Personal Blog
Current Projects:
"Project Shi" (working title)
"Project JanFeb" due completion date: 28th Feb, 2010

JQuartz
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: 0 completed game. Still haven't made any meaningfully completed games...

#3 Post by JQuartz »

Guest wrote:so is there a way to skip ALL of them on a replay with one menu option?
The "Begin Skipping" option in the preference menu seems to be similar to this option you're asking.
I suspect somebody is stealing my internet identity so don't believe everything I tell you via messages. I don't post or send messages anymore so don't believe anything I tell you via messages or posts.

#4 Post by Guest »

I meant a way to always turn it on, but not have to push a button.

EvilDragon
Veteran

#5 Post by EvilDragon »

draringi wrote:... can't actually remember tsukihime having this... though Fate stay night did. the best way to do this (and probably how they did it in FSN) is to have perm variables for each scene that say whether it has been watched or not that are switched to true at the end of each scene, and have options as to whether to skip the scene or not appear at the start of each scene that has its "watched" variable set to true.
This.
Angels of paradise, angels of sacrifice
Please let me be under your wings...

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#6 Post by JinzouTamashii »

EvilDragon wrote:
draringi wrote:... can't actually remember tsukihime having this... though Fate stay night did. the best way to do this (and probably how they did it in FSN) is to have perm variables for each scene that say whether it has been watched or not that are switched to true at the end of each scene, and have options as to whether to skip the scene or not appear at the start of each scene that has its "watched" variable set to true.
This.
Yup, I guess that's the way to do it. Oddly, I ended up structuring my game temporarily as call functions since I'm no stranger to indenting code, and I have a debug menu that pop-ups on start to let me navigate the frameworks and perspectives easily. So it would just be a matter of giving each one a variable by its unique label name and then a

Code: Select all

$ nexus = "seen" 
and making sure to check it each time. Ideally, I wanted a skip button too but can you make a custom button in Preferences for "Skip Scenes Already Seen" with a toggle on and off?

Ren'py "Skip" is quite intuitive but I think it can take too long on extended scenes to hold down Ctrl. Basically, I just want to prompt "Already experienced current label name. Skip?"

Would it work like the "H" scenes on and off recipe in the Wiki?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

@berration
Regular
Projects: EH...

#7 Post by @berration »

I've been trying to implement a skip system like this, too, and have pretty much done it in the way the others have described: Each block of text is assigned a persistent variable that's set at its end, and checked at the beginning. In my case, I try to make sure the end of the script block is immediately before a menu decision, so there's no chance of the reader accidentally bypassing one and breaking the game.

Something to look out for when doing it this way, though: If the script block begins or ends in the middle of a scene, you have to re-establish the backgrounds, sprites, music, etc., at the beginning of the new block. Otherwise, someone choosing to skip will still see whatever was left on screen during whatever previous scene they were viewing.

I haven't played around with it too much yet, but it seems like it could get messy. It'd be nice to find a more elegant way of doing this...
JinzouTamashii wrote:Ideally, I wanted a skip button too but can you make a custom button in Preferences for "Skip Scenes Already Seen" with a toggle on and off?

Ren'py "Skip" is quite intuitive but I think it can take too long on extended scenes to hold down Ctrl. Basically, I just want to prompt "Already experienced current label name. Skip?"

Would it work like the "H" scenes on and off recipe in the Wiki?
I agree that, while the Ren'Py skip is very useful, for a really long game with a lot of branching, having a way to jump to the next choice would make exploring the other routes a lot quicker.

I used the Cookbook code you mentioned in mine in order to turn the option on and off. I've been considering using an on-screen button (in order to be less obtrusive than having a menu popping up) , but I'm not really sure what to label the button. I wouldn't want to replace the established, fast-forward type "Skip," but I don't want it to be too confusing. "Scene Skip," maybe...?

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by JinzouTamashii »

"Skip Scene" I think works well.

Bookmarking this thread ...
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Something to look out for when doing it this way, though: If the script block begins or ends in the middle of a scene, you have to re-establish the backgrounds, sprites, music, etc., at the beginning of the new block. Otherwise, someone choosing to skip will still see whatever was left on screen during whatever previous scene they were viewing.
Well, that took me a moment to figure out what happened, then I ハハハハハハ.

I have to say: it did exactly what I told it to do ... let's just hope that when you're jumping, there's no conditional backgrounds or sprites or you'll have to remember to reimplement them if you have one scene occuring in multiple locations ... like I did.

Is there any elegant way of detecting when someone has skipped at the location of the skip (usually the menu) without declaring $your_sceneskipped = True and then setting it to False after you're done reestablishing the scene? ...

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

[SOLVED]Re: A way to skip whole blocks of text like Tsukihim

#10 Post by JinzouTamashii »

This was solved by doing it the old-fashioned way: lots and lots of fucking variables. Thank you. If there is an elegant way to do it by classes or with a condition switch, then I'm not smart enough to conceive of it without it still involving a ton of variables and True and False conditions...

I'm going to wait until I'm done with the writing to program in all of the Scene Skips.