Naming System - Japanese style vs English style

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
x__sinister (blah)

Re: Naming System - Japanese style vs English style

#16 Post by x__sinister (blah) »

Voight-Kampff wrote:
"Write what you know" is for cowards. Writing is a creative act. Use your imagination! Nobody wants to hear about your boring life anyway.
"Write what you know" means just that. It doesn't mean "write what you've experienced". If that were the case, we wouldn't have stories based in ancient Greece or during the Renaissance or in some far-flung future.
(: This is basically what I meant. You can say it better than I can. Haha.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#17 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Is the anime styling still considered exclusively Japanese though? More and more on American television, I notice it creeping into Western cartoons. The upcoming CG Astro Boy restart was also an excellent fusion of the styles.

Of course, some of that may have to do with the large eyes coming from a Western Disney influence and Astro Boy was one of the first animes, so it was before a wide convergence between the two evolved over several decades...

Even a quick glance at Astro Boy's design and Disney eyes can verify that.

So, when you see an anime styled character and a generic setting but not a name, until the character and location are named, do you think: "This is Japanese?"
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#18 Post by blankd »

....In my opinion most "anime styled" characters don't look like Japanese people. I'd sooner think "anime style" than "Japanese person!"

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#19 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Is the anime styling still considered exclusively Japanese though?
That's exactly the right question to ask.

I apologize, as this is going off a bit on a tangent, but I've always espoused the idea that "anime style" - which encompasses not only the artwork, but the character archetypes, story elements, pacing, etc. - should be compared to, oh, let's say Impressionist painting.

Impressionism started in France. So, does that mean that only French people can make Impressionistic paintings? Or only French people living in the 19th century? Of course not. The idea is patently ridiculous. It's merely an artistic style that can be employed by anyone who holds a sufficiently developed skill set. Thus, the same holds true when speaking about "anime style" - it can be attempted by anybody. Whether or not a person can succeed in properly recreating the "feel" is another issue, though.

amenya
Projects: Collage Dilemma (CD)

#20 Post by amenya »

1. How do you represent your characters and locations in your work, in a Japanese style reminiscent of JVN's or in an English style that reflects the nature of the OELVN and/or your spoken language?

I like all differnt kinds of names however if I have a setting I like to keep at least the majority of my characters with names from that setting. I like Japanese names because the Names could be what kind of person they are. (because I'm very bad with names)

2. How do you feel about the use of Japanese naming styles in other people's VN's when used by amateurs and when used by accomplished writers respectively?

Hey if the game is good I don't care. It's not about the name it's about the development for me ^__^

3. Can seeing that a VN follows one style (i.e. a Japanese style or an English style) turn you off from playing a VN? Why or why not?

I'll admit I lean more towards Japanese style because of the roots of the game came from Japan. However I've also come to the realization it's because as an American I'm use to American names sounding very boring, or possibly bring up bad memories, or deter me from a character, because of said bad memories. Even though I ADORE the name David for some reason.

I like all types of names not just Japanese. I love Hispanic names, Italian names, French names, Russian names. I haven't gotten use to German names but I'm starting too. I even love Irish names. However then you have to be careful you don't make someone upset by have a name, and having the character be the stereoscopic whatever race he/she is. Which to me would be like what the Anime Hitalia kind of did. (even though I loved that anime)
Thanks to persona 4 though as of recent I'm liking Japanese names at the moment.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#21 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Voight-Kampff wrote:Impressionism started in France. So, does that mean that only French people can make Impressionistic paintings? Or only French people living in the 19th century? Of course not. The idea is patently ridiculous. It's merely an artistic style that can be employed by anyone who holds a sufficiently developed skill set. Thus, the same holds true when speaking about "anime style" - it can be attempted by anybody. Whether or not a person can succeed in properly recreating the "feel" is another issue, though.
Right on.
long-distance-bro-fist.jpg
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

draringi
Regular
Projects: "Project Shi" (working title); "Project JanFeb" (working title:LSFCCVNG entry)

#22 Post by draringi »

Japanese names are good when the story makes use correctly of the fact that they are japanese, and the same goes for any type of name. The name is an important part of the character, it in part symbolise who they are, so it shouldn't be japanese for the hell of being japanese.
Current Project: Wolfram Shadow Devlog
Personal Blog
Current Projects:
"Project Shi" (working title)
"Project JanFeb" due completion date: 28th Feb, 2010

Alphonse (too lazy to log in)

#23 Post by Alphonse (too lazy to log in) »

I think the person who made the impressionism comment neglected one simple fact. Impressionism has spread. The anime style has not. The question was basically "When you see the anime style, do you think "Japanese?" We're not talking about who can make anime and what not.

(My answer to the question is yes.)

Alphonse
Regular

#24 Post by Alphonse »

"I like all differnt kinds of names however if I have a setting I like to keep at least the majority of my characters with names from that setting. I like Japanese names because the Names could be what kind of person they are. (because I'm very bad with names)"

babynames.com

You think non-Japanese names don't have meanings?

(sorry for the double post. You can't edit anonymous posts...)

Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

#25 Post by Coatl »

Ok first I'll answer the following questions then I'll gather all my thoughts regarding OELVN that contain scenes an characters that are heavily Japanese influence.

1. How do you represent your characters and locations in your work, in a Japanese style reminiscent of JVN's or in an English style that reflects the nature of the OELVN and/or your spoken language?

Back in in 2003 (at the age of 13) I used to try to give my character foreign based names. I didnt know how the Japanese used sylables instead of individual letters in their language. As time progressed, I was embarrassed by the negative stereotypes that are found in overly popular anime and anime-inspired shows like Code Lyoko, Totally Spies, and Kappa Mikey. Thus I shifted my style by focusing on what i know and that is western culture. Being Mexican-American aka Chicano, I decided that my characters, or at least the main one, would be Latino. I do have a few Asian characters, usually based off my high school friends or characters that i admire. I have some white and black characters as well. Thus all my characters have names that reflect their families and their surroundings, which is usually a town or city somewhere in California.

2. How do you feel about the use of Japanese naming styles in other people's VN's when used by amateurs and when used by accomplished writers respectively?

Depending on the Context i can give out a clear yes or no. For now, I really don't like the fact that many people use japanese names or settings because usually those people use played out names (I've seen so many Sakuras and Jins) usually the names are just their cause they sound cool when really they're just corny. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some that are executed nicely like the "Crippled Girls" OELVN. I especially hate it when a lot of people try giving "cool" names on badly drawn characters. Again there are some folks who can seriously pull it off, but so far thats a rare sight.

3. Can seeing that a VN follows one style (i.e. a Japanese style or an English style) turn you off from playing a VN? Why or why not?

I can only say that it depends on how it's executed. Alot, ALOT, of writers tend to fall for that corny plot that involves a lonely rather neutral feeling character and what not and it hurts to read. Also there always tend to be that guy who draws a white dude and he tends to have the most Japanese name ever, like Ryo or Jin or Kyosuke. Names that are very common in a lot of anime or iconic names that only truly work in their respected anime. As for American names and races on obscurely Japanese looking people, that is a turn off as well. People try so hard to make a character bishi it destroys a sense of self in the character cause they all begin to look the same.

Ok to what i need to say:

I am not as big of an Otaku/Weaboo/Japanophile/ect as I used to be back in 2002-02 when I was 12-13. the reason behind that was cause of the bad rep that associated with loving all things japan and how annoying and embarrassing it is to hear you're obsess about another culture especially since such obsession is based off cartoons and comics and games. So I started to shift to a "know what you learn" perspective and That is why i choose not to make Bishoujo characters and prude or uber-perverted plots. I understand that many people like the culture but sometimes when you dont have that kind of first hand experience, you end up with less than stellar results.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#26 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Here's another question: when you name your characters Japanese (and are translating to English) do you keep the names in true order or do you reverse it like Americans would? Like let's say your name is Roger Shimomura. In Japan, that would be Shimomura Roger. No comma.

Did you know that most Japanese only call you by a first name basis once they've gotten to know you or if it's your family?

Alphonse wrote:Impressionism has spread. The anime style has not.
Have you watched any American cartoons recently, Alphonse?

Whenever I turn it on, I see a Japanese influence on artists who have not polished their work completely or are marrying it with the designs of American cartoons...

For me, I feel like I'm reconnecting with my roots when I draw anime. I'm not sure why Western television companies are emulating the style...
Coatl wrote:I am not as big of an Otaku/Weaboo/Japanophile/ect as I used to be back in 2002-02 when I was 12-13. the reason behind that was cause of the bad rep that associated with loving all things japan and how annoying and embarrassing it is to hear you're obsess about another culture...
This is really kind of funny because Japan is sometimes obsessed with Western things without firsthand experience too, just movies...

But I wanted to talk about how this attitude strikes me. it seems like something an uneducated 2ch vipper would say... or the self-loathing of any other channer... these things are all good and well in their environment, but you must realize that they spring from a well of negativity and the words of a 荒らし should be ignored and not fed. It's like this TVtrope.

There is nothing wrong with broadening your horizons and looking beyond your small worldview. In the last month, I've been doing research on India and talking with my Indian coworker Jairam over the details and it's been fascinating to see what's the same, different, and unfamiliar about their culture compared to here or Japan.

On all boards, they will say things like "we are too obsessed" or "it is shameful to care" but they're not brave enough to stand up for what they believe in, even amongst people like themselves. When they're divorced of their original context, the easy, loose and fast definitions of "fag" and "weeaboo" outside of the Western chans lose their meaning. So, you must remember, when they call each other, that it is because most of them consider themselves as that stereotype. In some ways, it's even saying "he's more of a loser than I am so that makes me better than him." It's very clique-ish.

Personally, I find the terms offensive but part of how they're using them is reclaiming their culture for themselves, like black men calling each other nigger. It's only invasive when an outsider uses it. I've seen white people, their friends, that can use the term with them because they're in the circle. It's all about context.

Jake
Support Hero

#27 Post by Jake »

JinzouTamashii wrote: Have you watched any American cartoons recently, Alphonse?

Whenever I turn it on, I see a Japanese influence
(emphasis mine)

This is exactly his point.

When you see an impressionist painting, most people don't immediately think "oh, this is obviously influenced by Paris". When you see an anime-style piece of art, a lot of people do immediately think "oh, this is obviously influenced by Japan".

(I'm pretty sure western television companies are imitating the style because the style is popular amongst their target demographic. I don't know about Kids Today, but the anime I was watching when I was a kid (albeit French-collaboration stuff like Ulysses 31 and Mysterious Cities of Gold) I liked better than Western stuff because it had character development and plot, not because people were drawn differently, but never let it be said that I credited large corporations with even a vague basis in common sense.)
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

#28 Post by Coatl »

woah woah woah. As embassador of the hood, I have to correct you, it's not "nigger" it's "Nigga" there is a difference, and it has it's rules and regulation when it comes to its use.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#29 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Coatl wrote:Whoa, whoa, whoa. As ambassador of the hood, I have to correct you, it's not "nigger" it's "nigga" there is a difference, and it has it's rules and regulation when it comes to its use.
Thank you for the correction. I hope I didn't offend anyone just by mentioning the word. You said exactly what I meant by using it as an example. Context means everything, and often those outside the communities may not pick up the nuances.

Coatl, you should put in your profile under "Occupation:"

Ambassador of the Hood. :mrgreen:

neowired
Regular

#30 Post by neowired »

Nothing wrong with using Japanese names at all if that's what you want, especially in fantasy or sci-fi settings.

But, if you are writing about real world, in a real world setting, you should consider the place and why the character has a Japanese name. For example if you say your story action plays in Europe, for example in England, and you suddenly have a character with a Japanese name, then this character should have a Japanese origin of some sort, or for example perhaps his/her parents simply love Japan, perhaps they are manga fans, but the name should have some reason for being a Japanese name in an English city

Simply speaking, use common sense and it should be perfectly fine