Game art (yeah I totally changed it XD)

Use this forum to help develop your game-making skills, and get feedback on writing, art, music, or anything else you've created that isn't attached to a game in progress.
amenya
Projects: Collage Dilemma (CD)

Game art (yeah I totally changed it XD)

#1 Post by amenya »

Now for the game I'm making. Resizing though made it look a little blocky which makes me sad, but here it is anyway ^^ the currently nameless teacher. I'll edit it when I wake up ^^

ImageImageImageImage
Last edited by amenya on Tue Nov 03, 2009 6:20 pm, edited 5 times in total.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

Re: Game art (yeah I totally changed it XD)

#2 Post by JinzouTamashii »

JinzouTamashii swoops in with emergency lineart!

"Here, take this with you. It's dangerous out there!"
collegedillemmateacherlines.png
collegedillemmateacherlines.png (57.72 KiB) Viewed 2679 times
Here's the lines (which can be used with Multiply) and the layers. The coloring is up to you or your colorist. You have my complete permission to modify it or even to trace lines to redo them. As for the lines themselves, use a hard-edged brush to draw them.
Attachments
collegedillemmateacher.zip
(147.41 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

amenya

#3 Post by amenya »

Updated momo-chan is up ^^

Thanks for the line art ^___^
However I do have a tiny worry with it. I will draw event scenes and everything and then the art will look VERY different.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by JinzouTamashii »

It's mostly a learning exercise for you.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.

amenya

#5 Post by amenya »

oh I see! Thank you ^__^ *bows*
Bounces getting excited!

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#6 Post by sake-bento »

amenya, what program are you using to do your artwork? It looks like the lines are pretty rough on the first one but they're smoother on the second. I like to draw my characters larger than I intend to use them and then shrink down the art. It usually makes the lines look cleaner. I suggest you look up some references on anatomy, especially in the torso area. Also, it seems neither of your girls has eye whites. Is that on purpose? I think you have a good start, and your characters look interesting. What is your game about?

amenya

#7 Post by amenya »

the first one I used photoshop elements however the second one I used Paint.net which I'm finding more reliable, so I'll edit the second one later ^__^ but yes I make my art pretty large too XD

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#8 Post by sake-bento »

Really? I do most of my stuff in PhotoShop Elements (like my current avatar), and it hasn't given me any grief when it comes to resizing things like that. I've never tried Paint.NET; how is it more reliable?
Last edited by sake-bento on Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

amenya

#9 Post by amenya »

*about the eyes* yes the white is there on purpose. I actually don't normally do that but a friend of mine told me to for this. I use to do this when I first started drawing because I watched a lot of Sailor moon, then I got away from it. I'm, also drawing things really simple (because I'll be drawing this characters a lot XD)

Well the smoothness of the lines. For some reason when I re-size an image it looks better when I do it in paint.net

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by JinzouTamashii »

Amenya, I'm going to be honest with you... the eyes look terrible. Mostly, they're not symmetrical and on the girl on the left, they are far too large. On the girl on the right, you've drawn outlines for the outside of the eyes but not filled them in. It looks strange.

If you are going to make a Western eye, put the outline around the whole thing or make the entire eye a black circle with a highlight.

There are ways to combine the anime style (which has certain rules) and Western cartoon style (which also has certain rules) but until you understand drawing in general and how it should look, it's best not to try to change what you don't understand yet.

Actually, the best thing to do is to understand figure drawing. I've had two years of art school before I got on with an animation studio (I was the person that cleaned the art and made it consistent across artists) and the first thing I learned was... you need to know the basics first. Learn how to draw a human figure accurately. Then stylize it.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#11 Post by Deji »

I believe what Sake-bento was talking about was that your girls don't have the white part of the eye every person does have, not the white inside the eyes ^^; In your drawings it's skin colored.
I think your characters are interesting, but they seem drawn by different people, =/
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

amenya

#12 Post by amenya »

really? I just used differnt eyes. If you want I can look for a camera and take a picture of the traditional line art I drew if you want XD This isn't really my style of art, but I don't limit myself to one style. Which could be why they look like they were drawn by two different people. I'll be posting the two edited versions now.

Oh I see what you mean now. About the eyes. I could change it. I am use to the white around the eyes, except for Momo, her eyes are a bit big. I could do that for the teacher though.

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#13 Post by MaiMai »

@amenya: I suggest looking up tutorials on how to draw anime/manga style eyes if that's what you're aiming for. You may not stick to one style, but try to build up consistency by trying out different style of eyes to see what fits you best.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

amenya

#14 Post by amenya »

updated the male character to be honest I wanted him to be a brunet but I got begged to turn him into a blond so I did XD

About the eyes

Actually i did use eye tutorials from DA, however I never do it 100% the way they have it or I feel awkward. The only things I look for is how the eye is shaped. Example the teachers eyes are more aggressive/smart type of anime eyes where Momo-chan/gamer girl has big sailor moon eyes that make you realize you just got a cavity from her sugar coated cuteness.

I honestly can't wait till I get motivated to draw the rest of the cast. That isn't so bouncy and cute, but is more like the teacher. That could backhand you at any given moment for being an idiot. I really don't like over joyous characters. They get boring, and for the games that put a twist on them and make them motherly. I'm sorry you failed now I sense you turned happy lucky charms it's B***** the annoying bouncing stuck in a fantasy where she's mommy female character. But with this gamer girl I will make her rather happy but she at least has a reason to be happy.

I'm kinda lost on what to do with her brother who is the new addition. Yes he's your only yaoi character you get. (is poked by friends who beg me to make a second BUT WILL NOT GET IT) I'm lost on what to really do with him. I have his back story, but his coloring just makes me want to twitch. I think it's because I pictured him to be a brunet, but what do you guys think of him being blond?

Edit so I don't DP

Sorry I was being yelled at by random people. They were dumping stress on me earlier. But the sporty character has been uploaded.....And I wanted to redo the gay guy's design soooo badly now. The sporty girl is more my style the eyes arn't my normal style but I think they pop out at you in a good way....I hope. (I'm attracted to eyes first with all characters all my friends say the same thing. Which may be why they look the way they do XD)

So what do you think of her now?

You no what I'm going to not do faceal things for awhile. Just do body and clothes and then add the face last. Or something. Looks at origenal pic and looks and computer sees differance in lopsidedness. In the bigger copy it's not as noticeable. (goes to buy rulers)

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by JinzouTamashii »

amenya wrote:Sorry I was being yelled at by random people. They were dumping stress on me earlier.
Uh, before I go assuming and making an ass out of you and me, are you talking about us and the help we were trying to give you?