Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (Complete)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Tsuki-chan
Regular
Projects: How to Be a Successful Villain

Re: Lucky Rabbit Reflex! - GxB Dating Sim (+demo +charaprofiles)

#91 Post by Tsuki-chan »

To be honest, I actually favor the original UI a bit more.
Although, I do like the font you chose for this one.

The font for the main text, that is. I don't think the font used for the in-game menu and the numbers on the save screen quite fits.

pinkmouse
Regular
Projects: A renpy beginner - test projects only atm

#92 Post by pinkmouse »

Well, I've just read through the whole thread and played the demo. I completely agree with everyone else that this is a really impressive project (and your first, you said? *jaw drops*) I'm certainly looking forward to the release, but obviously life-stuff is important too.

I'm not sure how useful commenting on the demo is, since the game has had so much work since then, but I wished the early manga-styled part was click-to-proceed rather than just one animation, since I wanted to enjoy the layout more. I hope you're going to use manga layouts at other points in the game too (perhaps for non-interactive events triggered by stats?)

If you're still looking for event suggestions:
Supermarket: the cute cashier is in trouble because he can't balance his till! (Geeky Clover will spot he's adding in the day's date, un-geeky Clover can maybe bluff?)
An obnoxious customer is using staff-cutie as an emotional punch-bag. Does Clover (a) nip smartly back out of sight so that he's not embarrassed, (b) get involved (c) commiserate afterwards (d) seek revenge on his part?
Gee, I didn't know you could drive a fork-lift! (Can he? Legally?) Oooh - what does this button do? (Optional comedy from clumsiness/distraction of cutie.) Or maybe Clover just has to convincingly feign interest "Really? BI-rotational hubcaps!" ::eyeroll::

Bakery: The staff are trying to invent a new recipe for a sweet-roll stuffing. Clover could either make recipe suggestions, be a blind taster, or just have to decide how honest she should really be about cutie's kipper and marmalade surprise...

Drama club: (Not knowing who Miles Edgeworth is, maybe these will be no good, but anyway) -
Staying on late to help paint a backdrop; find the Maguffin (treasure hunt for props); help cutie learn his lines (pelmanism: player can't see script and cutie's replies at the same time)
Hope they made you giggle even if they weren't any help!

PM

x__sinister
Regular
Projects: Modus Operandi, Grim

#93 Post by x__sinister »

I'm not sure whether I like the new or old UI better.

From the old one, I like the colors. The brown/black definitely goes better with the game because the pink you've got now seems a bit out of place. I also like how you had your logo on the save and option menus, etc.
From the new one, I like how glossy it is. The curves (like where the character name in the dialogue box is, etc.) are a nice touch as well.
If I had to choose between the two, I would go with the older one. Maybe you should try changing the color for the newer one? I'd love to see the experiments you come up with for these sorts of things.
A literate roleplaying community.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#94 Post by Aleema »

I've been silently watching the progress on this and I just wanted to chime in an say that I also prefer the old UI.

I understand why you felt you wanted to change it, though. As producers, we see waaay too much of our own games, and we get real bored of it and try to change what isn't broken. Let me tell you: your old UI wasn't broken, nor "fugly". ;)
Last edited by Aleema on Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alphonse
Regular

#95 Post by Alphonse »

I've finally overhauled that fugly UI
:( I liked that UI. It looked sorta academic, in a way that vaguely reminded me of Bully. Which is always good. This one's good too, but the other one seemed more fitting. Maybe I was just used to it? Maybe it's because I was never really a fan of that sleek, Web 2.0 movement (although, I doubt it's called Web 2.0 here, as it's a game, not a website).

(In any case, don't worry about the UI too much for now. Think about that after you're done--you only need to be able to look at it for now. That's how I get stuck! I procrastinate by thinking about the UI instead of the actual content and story and gameplay, and I mess with it and mess with it and never get anything done!)

So it's doable. That whole "the character's name is in a second window/tab" thing. But what happens when the narrator's speaking? Do their lines start where the name's supposed to go as some sort of mistake that you just don't want to show us (probably not)? Or do you have to change the frame for every time the narrator talks? What's the secret?

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#96 Post by chensterrain »

Heh, oops :) Thanks for the feedback, guys! I hadn't realised the old UI was so popular, tbh! I'm still tweaking the new one, though - the main problem I had was that though I really liked the new textbox / buttons, hot pink was the only colour that really seemed to go with 'em, despite it admittedly not really being a barbie-pink sort of game. :B Admittedly I've pretty much just been dragging the colour sliders up and down in Photoshop rather than making new boxes from scratch, so I should probably just try harder, tbh! :P I only really meant to change the textbox and buttons on the main screen originally, as having them above the textbox made coding really fiddly (I had to keep showing and hiding the button menu every time I showed a CG or used a 'movein / out' command, which is every five minutes tbh), but then one thing lead to another, and... yeah. Made a new school crest-type logo, though, so hopefully I can slap that somewhere? :) Please keep th suggestions coming, though! I'm pretty clueless when it comes to this interface business, ick :?
pinkmouse wrote:I'm not sure how useful commenting on the demo is, since the game has had so much work since then, but I wished the early manga-styled part was click-to-proceed rather than just one animation, since I wanted to enjoy the layout more. I hope you're going to use manga layouts at other points in the game too (perhaps for non-interactive events triggered by stats?)
I don't actually know how to do that, but I'll give it a shot! Glad you liked the effect, anyway. I was thinking of maybe using the manga layouts for some of the endings, depending on how lazy I'm feeling when I finally get that far... :P

Thanks for the event suggestions, too!
Alphonse wrote:So it's doable. That whole "the character's name is in a second window/tab" thing. But what happens when the narrator's speaking? Do their lines start where the name's supposed to go as some sort of mistake that you just don't want to show us (probably not)? Or do you have to change the frame for every time the narrator talks? What's the secret?
Heh, nah, the narrator looks exactly the same as the rest of the text, just with the name box blank (though there's hardly any text in the game without a character speaking, so hey :P ). It's basically the same code I was using before, though.

Code: Select all

$ narrator = Character(" ", ctc=anim.Blink("ctc.png", xpos=731, ypos=537, xanchor=0, yanchor=0), ctc_position="fixed", show_two_window=True)

Code: Select all

init:
    $ style.say_who_window.background = "GUI2_TextboxName.png"
    $ style.say_who_window.top_padding = 0
    $ style.say_who_window.bottom_padding = 0
    $ style.say_who_window.bottom_margin = 0
    $ style.say_label.ypos = 16
    $ style.say_label.font = "CollegiateInsideFLF.ttf"
    $ style.say_label.color = "#380c09"
    $ style.say_label.size = 15
Trial-and-error coding, woo~
Attachments
Textboxes and crests, huzzah
Textboxes and crests, huzzah

Riviera
Miko-Class Veteran

#97 Post by Riviera »

Any news? Sorry to nag, but this game looks so good! Can't wait to see more!
Will edit/proofread for cookies.

I do free voicework! Click here for samples

chensterrain
Veteran

#98 Post by chensterrain »

Oops, totally missed that :oops: Thanks for the interest, though!
I figured I should probably start posting updates on the devblog rather than here, as the game's still a fair ways from completion, but I'm still lurking around here too... :P

*gets back to procrastinating* :D

Tsundere Lightning
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: And plenty of them!

#99 Post by Tsundere Lightning »

Just getting on the bandwagon to <3 your art.

And will play ASAP.
She's sun and rain: She's fire and ice. A little crazy, but it's nice.
Bliss Stage: Love is your weapon! A sci-fi visual novel about child soldiers coming of age. Kickstarter prerelease here. WIP thread here. Original tabletop game by Ben Lehman here. Tumblr here.

Victoria
Regular
Projects: The Lady Minus Y

#100 Post by Victoria »

I think I'm going to absolutely love this game =D
I have several questions if you don't mind: How big are you planning this game? Like 2-3 hours of playing (for one path or something), or even more? And how much "Endings" actually?
And I'd really love to know when do you think game could be released =D
Looking forward to it! =D
Click here for a cross-dressing Otome!

chensterrain
Veteran

#101 Post by chensterrain »

Sorry for the late reply again!

I'm actually not entirely sure how long the game will take in the end - as there's nothing to stop the player pursuing multiple boys at the same time, playthroughs could end up getting pretty long, I guess? Playing through Marius' (unfinished) route took me at least an hour, if I remember right, though, so hopefully it should take other people a bit longer? :)

As for endings, I'm aiming for two for the three 'main' boys and one each for the other two, but again, I'm not really sure. They'll probably just end up with one each, but I figure one fleshed out ending would be better than two cut down ones, right? :P We shall see...

And ah, I wish I had a clue when this damned thing'll be finished! Probably not anytime soon, to be honest - and this project was originally only meant to take about a month or so, hurhur :B The problem I'm having at the moment is that although they only take a couple of minutes to play through, pretty much every event in the game is several pages of branching text, most of which the player isn't going to see unless they play through multiple times (and choose some obviously dodgy responses, hur :3) - I'm somewhere around 50,000 words so far, and some of the guys only have one or two events written...

*wrist seizes up*

On the up side, though, slice of life is actually pretty fun to write now that I've started putting seasonal / regional crap in. *Finally finds a use for that royalty-free Christmas music :D*

Thanks for the interest, though! (And I'm sorry there've been so few updates! Progress is actually going pretty quickly, but I guess there won't be any surprises if I post everything here...) :oops:
Attachments
screenshot0088.png
screenshot0083.png
screenshot0055.png
screenshot0080.png

dracothrope
Regular

#102 Post by dracothrope »

Ah, that's really cute! Great backgrounds, too. Keep up the good work! :D

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#103 Post by JinzouTamashii »

That fair one with the chibis is so damn cute.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Victoria
Regular
Projects: The Lady Minus Y

#104 Post by Victoria »

I really like it =D It surely seem like a lot of work!
And I must say that I never seen anything like your artwork - I like the uniqueness of it.
Take as much time you need - Of course it will be better then!
Attached to this topic :D
Click here for a cross-dressing Otome!

runimina

#105 Post by runimina »

Looks awesome!
I love the art! I really like the little notebook profiles!
Definitely gonna try out the demo when I get the chance! I hope that the project doesn't stress you out too much!
Hi!
I am an artist looking for projects to work on. ^_^
I can draw female characters and design outfits.

I also hope to make my own little game sometime once I get the hang of Ren Py!