[The Dreaming] v0.9 (Win/Mac/Linux)

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

Re: [The Dreaming] v0.9 (windows only)

#76 Post by Coren »

Sure, but um, you didn't answer my first question. And thus I still can't solve the game.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo

#77 Post by Coren »

Ok, so I tried using the last two answers which make me game over the most:
As Punishment, and You Cannot Know, You Will Never Know.
... Problem is, with these two answers, I can't succeed.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#78 Post by Coren »

Oh wait, wait. I think I just got Ending 6. Gabrielle is asking Julius about Jane.

... I see. So my last answer was wrong after all, the answer that I kept thinking was the correct one.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#79 Post by Coren »

Eek, Sorry, sorry, sorry for the repeated reposting. I got all the endings (True Ending felt so sad but was so heartwarming as well, well done), but still couldn't unlock whatever I was supposed to unlock, including one BGM.

Also, I still don't understand what that huge monster means. The fact that it always kills Gabrielle... is it possibly something
in his heart that keeps him from wanting to be cured, since it destroys his 'will' to be cured, Gabrielle? If that's so, that what does it represent exactly?

Mrs. Abject
Regular
Projects: Looking For My Prince, Ghost, Sleepwalk to Me

#80 Post by Mrs. Abject »

I got the true ending, too! It was sad, but it felt like the right sort of ending to the story.
I was expecting it to be a lot worse than a case of well-meaning neglect. I mean, yes, that was bad, but the way it was interpreted in Julius' mind made it seem a lot worse than what it was. He obviously felt very guilty.

And the epilogue. Oh god. That was unquestionably the right thing for them to do, especially if Jane had been in a dreaming of her own, but oh god. Poor Julius. Poor Sarah.

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#81 Post by Coren »

One thing in Ending 6 really made me laugh, though, and it was Julius saying
You belong to me.
XD It was amusing.

Mrs. Abject
Regular
Projects: Looking For My Prince, Ghost, Sleepwalk to Me

#82 Post by Mrs. Abject »

Kirroha wrote:One thing in Ending 6 really made me laugh, though, and it was Julius saying
You belong to me.
XD It was amusing.
Yeah, that line was a little bit... questionable. But being the kind of person who finds something to ship in pretty much everything she reads, I kinda liked it. I love the interactions between Julius and Gabrielle, even with the spoiler. Especially with the spoiler. :D

Is it bad that I wish this was more popular, so there'd be fanfic? Katawa Shoujo gets fanfic.

Catoni15

#83 Post by Catoni15 »

I wasn't going to register for this forum quite yet but I really wanted to make some comments about your story so I'm here sooner than anticipated. Oh well. XP

Anyway...

First off, I really like this. It was very good. The story, the characters, everything just pulled me in. I was very interested from the beginning. Though I will admit that, when it comes to scary games, I'm kind of a wuss. So sue me. Haha.

I'm pretty happy right now since--after busting my butt for a looong time--I finally got the true ending! No easy task, for sure. But I don't need to tell you all that. XD

The only thing about this game I wasn't so fond of was the difficulty in getting the 6th ending. Otherwise, I was fine with everything else. I had no problem with the art (despite the fact that some of it isn't finished) and the music was top notch.

Now, for some more in depth, spoiler filled comments!
Everbody you encounter is symbolic/representative of some aspect of Julius's mind rather than real people (or, at least, figments of how Julius perceives/remembers these real people). I get that. There are some of the symbolism the confuses me, like--when you cut open the stitches of the restrained man--the large monster bursts out screaming "HATE!". I'm uncertain of this and how it fits in with everything else. At first it made me think I was on the wrong track because I let "loose" something awful (like "the hate"). Something that should've been kept under control. It wasn't until later, with more hints from you and others, that cutting the restraints was actually the right thing to do. Because, in my mind, some things are meant to be under control and others meant to be freed. So it felt like a 50/50 call to me.
The White Woman part, despite how much it threw so many people, was surprisingly simple once you actually get the ending. I didn't find the hints given with the White Woman particularly helpful. It wasn't until I stepped back and thought, "Hey, the White Woman is GUILT, right? Then why don't I select answers reflective of guilt?". Some hints along these lines would've been more helpful. But, since I believe you wanted people to actually work for that ending I suppose I could see why you were so cryptic.
Oh, and due to the ending and the Developer's Notes I can't say I like Julius very much. Conceited, self-centered jerk that he is. Feh. XP
Well, that's all I have to say on that. It was very good and I enjoyed playing it. Thanks for making this~! ^^
The A² Review - reviewing amateur animated works

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#84 Post by Coren »

I've definitely gotten all of the endings. Including Ending 1. But I still can't see the Developer's Notes, and there's still one locked BGM. What am I missing here?

risingdreams
Regular

#85 Post by risingdreams »

I can't get the 6th ending.
My answers to the woman in white were "I have no need for words" "to make Julius understand" and "as punishment". Then I stabbed the stitched guy and said he wasn't relating to me.

Halp?
icon from x_dirge_icons@LJ

[Hana]

#86 Post by [Hana] »

risingdreams wrote:I can't get the 6th ending.
My answers to the woman in white were "I have no need for words" "to make Julius understand" and "as punishment". Then I stabbed the stitched guy and said he wasn't relating to me.

Halp?
you have to cut the stitches, and then say that its his mental condition.

carosene
Veteran
Completed: That Cheap and Sacred Thing

#87 Post by carosene »

Kirroha wrote:I've definitely gotten all of the endings. Including Ending 1. But I still can't see the Developer's Notes, and there's still one locked BGM. What am I missing here?
I got that too. :(
A Complete Kinetic Novel
Blog DA

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#88 Post by Coren »

Ok, so after asking Taleweaver a few questions, I think I finally understand what truly happens at the end of each ending. So this is my interpretation from what I've understood now. Spoilers for Ending 6, and of course the other endings as well.
Ending 1: Gabrielle (Julius's sanity) abandons Julius and thus he withdraws himself completely (shown by the 'meds'). Julius no longer has any hope of being cured anymore.

Ending 2: Julius' sanity (Gabrielle) is consumed by his self-hatred (Monster).

Ending 3: Julius' sanity (Gabrielle) is consumed by his self-guilt (White Woman).

Ending 4: Gabrielle (Julius' Sanity) gives up. He has no hope of being cured anymore. He really checks into a mental hospital, but is never cured as he has completely lost it.

Ending 5: Julius and Gabrielle are forever trapped in The Dreaming. To an outsider IRL, Julius is still an insane madman talking to himself repeatedly, but in Julius' mind, he is happy, finding strength within Gabrielle, whom he still considers an individual.

Ending 6: Julius is confronted by his own will to fight his madness, and he succeeds in his self-cure and his adventures in The Dreaming. Julius snaps out of his madness and finally returns to his real world. Gabrielle vanishes, but continues to live within him. Gabrielle is happy. Julius is happy. Jane is going to be happy as well.

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#89 Post by Taleweaver »

About the Developer's Notes and the Epilogue not appearing in the Main Menu after finding all endings: I cannot reproduce that problem. The Epilogue should even appear after finding no other endings but Ending 6. Strangely, for some people (Mrs Abject...) it seems to work while for others, it doesn't. I'll try to weed out that problem, but so far, I am stumped about where it resides.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira

Coren
Mindscrew Driver

#90 Post by Coren »

There's an epilogue?!

I have to see it. Oh no. :?