Town Heat demo is out.

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
BlackSpider
Regular

#31 Post by BlackSpider »

Ummm.... Looks like I got what I paid for, LOL... Apparently they deleted my account without even sending me an e-mail. I have no idea why they did it though. I didn't violate any common rules. Anyway, I'll probably have to buy a web hosting package to avoid such situations in the future (I think I'll upgrade my old account at republika.pl). For the time being though, the Town Heat web site will be off line for a few days. BTW I managed to reduce the TH installation package from 26MB to less than 16MB. I downsampled the ogg music tracks from an average of 128kbps to an average of 32kbps, but still at 44100Hz.

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#32 Post by Sai »

I think I may be able to host you in the meantime. I'll need the smaller version though if you want me to host that one. Just see if you can split it up and send it to [removed] somehow. Or we can try some other way if you want.

[edited to remove email address since it's not needed anymore]
Last edited by Sai on Tue Sep 14, 2004 7:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Trinity Riot
Regular
Location: Somewhere between New York City... and New York City.

#33 Post by Trinity Riot »

I'll help host it, feel free to email the files to miltonare@gmail.com, and I'll reply with links to the files.

BlackSpider
Regular

#34 Post by BlackSpider »

Many thanks for the hosting offers Sai and Trinity, but I recently tryed to send a 5MB attachment from my mailbox to a friend and it didn't work. Kept trying at least five times, but with no success. I think that in the meantime, the only option left for me is to set up an ftp server or even run a web server on my home machine (self-hosting). But I'm not sure that it's a good idea with an ADSL connection. It downloads quite fast, but it uploads very slowly. Anyway, the Town Heat website will be back soon (later this week). Besides everyone interested in the TH demo probably downloaded it already...

Sai
Winged Hybrid

#35 Post by Sai »

Oh, well I could always setup an FTP account to upload to but anyway if it's going to be back up that soon you're right ^^ Best of luck.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#36 Post by mikey »

BlackSpider wrote:Besides everyone interested in the TH demo probably downloaded it already...
Well, just yesterday I got an e-mail from a friend, who "finally managed to download RT", on diskettes thru an internet cafe over a considerable time period. Not everyone has DSL :( So the 16 Meg version is a good idea, still, it would be good to split it.

I'd also like to help with the TH hosting, but I don't have it with me now, :( :( Good luck. And actually, I was looking for your SITE, because it has some good links... :P

BlackSpider
Regular

#37 Post by BlackSpider »

OMG RT on diskettes! I'm not really sure that splitting the 16MB file into 4MB parts would help much. There are very good download manages (such as Download Express for instance) which allow you to stop and resume file download as many times as you like. Back in 2002/early 2003 when I had a 56K connection I even downloaded large 60MB files over the net without any problems. It took me more than a few days for one file though (total download time for 60MB was about 4h), but I still managed to get what I wanted. Anyway, I use a single sfx file to make it easier for those who have absolutely no idea how computers and modern operating systems work. It's the easiest way to go. They download just one file, click on the downloaded executable and follow instructions displayed on the screen.

BlackSpider
Regular

#38 Post by BlackSpider »

Town Heat (demo) is back online. The only difference between the 1.00b and 1.00 version is that the new shorter version uses ogg streams downgraded to 32kbps. The former (longer) version was using 128kbps ogg streams.

This is the new link :
http://www.republika.pl/piotrkn22/th/index.html

From now on the following aliases will work too :
http://www.townheat.go.pl
http://townheat.go.pl

Herzeleid

#39 Post by Herzeleid »

Ah...How is this project going...this thread or site hasn't been updated since Sept 17 :shock: ...(and once again...THIS GAME ROCKS)

BlackSpider
Regular

#40 Post by BlackSpider »

Well, I'm really stucked with this huge project... It's not easy to continue and to be honest I'm really slow :(. However I still enjoy it. Most ideas and the script that comes out now is much better than what was in the demo (eg. what effect the drug "dark seed" has on Aki :)). Anyway, I'm considering to seriously modify the core engine. I was planing to add really realistic waterfall, fireworks, clouds, ocean, and so on... I even have some OpenGL source code examples that do all those things. The only problem is that I'm not sure whether raising the system requirements to 1Ghz CPU and a 32MB 3D accelerator with hardware T&L is a good idea. Sorry for not updating my site often, but there's not much I can add now. First screenshots of the new (improved) engine should be available early 2005.

#41 Post by Guest »

BlackSpider wrote:Well, I'm really stucked with this huge project... It's not easy to continue and to be honest I'm really slow :(. However I still enjoy it. Most ideas and the script that comes out now is much better than what was in the demo (eg. what effect the drug "dark seed" has on Aki :)). Anyway, I'm considering to seriously modify the core engine. I was planing to add really realistic waterfall, fireworks, clouds, ocean, and so on... I even have some OpenGL source code examples that do all those things. The only problem is that I'm not sure whether raising the system requirements to 1Ghz CPU and a 32MB 3D accelerator with hardware T&L is a good idea. Sorry for not updating my site often, but there's not much I can add now. First screenshots of the new (improved) engine should be available early 2005.
:cry: I'm anticipating so much....must wait....

Grey
Veteran

#42 Post by Grey »

To be honest, the most important parts of the game are the characters, and the story. Fancy graphics are just a pretty extra, not something people are playing the game for.

I realise I never commented on the game before >_< I did download it, and I did plan to say something, but I just never got round to it :roll:
My opinion contradicts quite a lot of the comments you've had, and I'm sorry if it sounds harsh. Just ignore it :?

Still, the main thing I noticed while I was playing it was that the characters in the demo felt kinda...flat to me. The things they said tended to be kinda generic. It would be better if they had more personality, like the words they used and the way they said things were more distinct, particually between Reiko and Aki. Or just used expressions more during conversations. Reiko for instance isn't very consistant as a character.

Some polarised options as well: 'I love her', or 'I hate her', no middle ground for if you couldn't care less, or don't want to push things one way or the other.

Overall, I think what I'm saying is don't just do things in a certain way because they've already been done that way a lot already.

Also for the character art I think if you did something about the characters lips it would make the art a lot better...

Visually I think it would be nicer if the textbox didn't look so DOS-esque. A nicer font would do it, or a different choice of colours.

Anyway back to date: if you want to work on integrating all those special effects, then do so, it's your game after all, but if you look at it another way it's kinda procrastinating from working on the ideas that will get the game finished. Heh, whenever I try to work on anything it's something I'm very prone to :roll:

BlackSpider
Regular

#43 Post by BlackSpider »

Each opinion is welcome. Harsh comments even more than positive ones if the author points out what things he/she didn't like and why...

Warning possible spoiler (don't read if you havn't played the game) :

The actual demo script is more like a presentation of the three female and one male character rather than the real story. It's just a short demo, not the full game. Perhaps I shouldn't spend so much time on this part of the game, but that's my first ren'ai project and there are many things I wish I made differently. As for the face expressions during conversations, it' true... On the second day they are limited to three (nine in the first scenes).

Reiko is not meant to be a consistent character at all ;). It's the type of girl who acts the opposite she feels if you know what I mean. Usually she tryes to hide her emotions inside and act as if she didn't care at all... But at times she'll try to prove she really cares... Ummm, I already said too much about Reiko then...

Allright third thing, no middle ground if you don't want to push things one way or the other. Actually this affects only one choice at the beginning. I'll change that becaue I also find it's really unfortunate. Most players like to saty safe and not make such important decisions affecting the whole gameplay at the very beginning.

What more, existing characters will still be improved and transparent (at 66% or 75% intensity) textbox with a nicer font is yet to come.

comparative

#44 Post by comparative »

* spamarific post deleted by Blue Lemma *

darkknight
Veteran

#45 Post by darkknight »

And for a completely random piece of information look above...
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....