Your most favorite obscure game?

For the rest of your otaku life.
Pyre Sieg
Projects: Untitled (2% progress)

Your most favorite obscure game?

#1 Post by Pyre Sieg »

So everyone has a favorite game or series and a lot of them tend to be very popular and well known. But what about the ones that aren't? :) So how many of you have a favorite game or series that is very obscure for various reasons? Like a cult classic or one that you really like, but for some reason they barely exist in the media? Although this topic may seem like it's about video games, if you have any other obscure media favorite like anime, cartoons, whatnot, by all means.

Aurelia-Aurora
Regular
Projects: Learning Japanese VN

Re: Your most favorite obscure game?

#2 Post by Aurelia-Aurora »

Disgaea. Nuff sed.
Currently Working On One (1) Game
Story: 100%
Sprites: 25%
Script: 17%
Programming: 0%
Characters: 95%
Event CGs: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%

lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

#3 Post by lunasspecto »

Future Boy Conan FTW

Actually, I don't really know if that's obscure. Don't really know any anime fans at all these days.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#4 Post by Deji »

lunasspecto wrote:Future Boy Conan FTW

Actually, I don't really know if that's obscure. Don't really know any anime fans at all these days.
I watched that when I was like... 4 xD

I don't think I like anything obscure myself. I'm a boring mainstream person~
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Wintermoon »

Games: Knytt Stories.
Musical groups: Negură Bunget, Elend, Oxiplegatz, Nest.

Pyre Sieg

#6 Post by Pyre Sieg »

:| And I just now realized that I started this yet didn't actually name anything. Oops. :lol:

Anyways, anyone hear of these? I hardly ever see anyone who do anymore. :(

Clock Tower (especially the first and second. Although the first was a No Export For You. Daw...)
Bloody Roar (Not the best fighting game in the whole genre, but it was really cool. Too bad the fan base is almost non-existent and Hudson seems intent on trying as hard as it can to kill it. I wonder if anyone here is also a fan? Ah well...)
Princess Maker (Too bad it's also mostly a No Export For You nowadays, especially with the whole incident after trying to export the second game...:/)
Monster Rancher (Barely anyone mentions it anymore. :( Even Digimon seems to be heading down its path, and it's a real shame since they're both great games, despite the Battle of the Mons with Pokemon.)
Dinosaur Planet (To be fair, it was a beta that could've been but isn't. Although it's a shame because the lack thereof caused plot holes for Krystal and a lack of an interesting series of its own. :/ As nice as it was to see something different for Star Fox besides arwings, I would've loved to see how it could've been as its own game besides that, if flying Arwings isn't a broken success, don't fix it, just do a barrel roll instead..)
Wolf (it's an old DOS game with a non-existent fan-base and even more non-existant manuals and walkthroughs.)
Many old Sierra classics before "Black Monday" (Sure, they're great now and still are among older gamers, but among newer and younger ones they practically died. :cry: Gah, I miss them so much...)

lunasspecto
Regular
Location: USA: New York City (school) and Massachusetts (home)

#7 Post by lunasspecto »

If we're naming musical groups, then I'll have to mention all my favorites that my friends have never heard of (they seem to have international popularity but not much fame in these parts - my favorite bands, not my friends):
Fever Ray, The Knife, Röyksopp, Boards of Canada, and sometimes Mouse on Mars or Matmos if I'm in the mood. In the domestic scene, Andrew Bird. He wrote my anthem. And Gary Jules. People really only know him for his cover of "Mad World", but I think he's a brilliant songwriter.
from the virtual desk of Kazuki Mishima

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by musical74 »

I've got Monster Rancher (the original) still, play it off and on, it's a fun game, not to mention a good time-waster =) I always got a kick when the monster is obviously female (Pixie class) and Holly still refers to the monster as a HE....Holly flunks basic biology! :) It's too bad Monster Rancher is more *cult status* than anything else....they tried to give it a good push early on but when that didn't seem to work well, they more or less gave up :? I wonder if that was because it was too close (in certain ways) to Digimon and Pokemon?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Lanna
Regular

#9 Post by Lanna »

Dunno, is Mischief Makers (N64) obscure? I always feel like it is, and damn, that game is freaking awesome, even these days. It's so ridiculously silly, but it's SO much fun!

Pyre Sieg

#10 Post by Pyre Sieg »

musical74 wrote:I've got Monster Rancher (the original) still, play it off and on, it's a fun game, not to mention a good time-waster =) I always got a kick when the monster is obviously female (Pixie class) and Holly still refers to the monster as a HE....Holly flunks basic biology! :) It's too bad Monster Rancher is more *cult status* than anything else....they tried to give it a good push early on but when that didn't seem to work well, they more or less gave up :? I wonder if that was because it was too close (in certain ways) to Digimon and Pokemon?
A lot of people consider Pokemon to be the king of all monster genres, even though there were quite a few monster-raising concepts out long before Pokemon came to the show, it's just that Pokemon still outweighed the whole lot and many other coincidentally similar games get bashed as "copies" (even when they're clearly not, such as Digimon being about virtual friends and fighters in and outside a dimension in the internet, and Monster Rancher is more of a pet-raising simulator with fusing, battling and exploring aspects). Early in the Mon wars, it was a threesome between Monster Rancher, Digimon and Pokemon. In the end, Monster Rancher was slowly disappearing and only turning up every once in a while, :( and from what I've seen Digimon is slowly fading as well for some reason despite lasting for quite some time. Granted they still released games for both Monster Rancher and Digimon, but Pokemon still reigned champion and many others sort of squeezed with each other in its shadow. A pity too, even though Pokemon's also a good game. ( :lol: pffth, so I'm not the only one who had a "cross-dressing" pixie, according to Holly).

:D But it's great to hear all the music groups and series names brought up.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER »

Gun Slinger Girl (vol 1-3). Well, it's should be just one game (since 1 volume only span for about 3 hours of gameplay).

The game is quite original, 3rd person shooting game, kinda like Time Crisis without gun controller. And there are lots of guns... and girls ^_^

You must buy it if you love Gun Slinger Girl anime (like me). Though the only other reason you buy it is... the 1st season of Gun Slinger Girl anime DVD that bundled along with the game >_<
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#12 Post by rioka »

For some reason, I never really got into Monster Rancher... maybe because it was tough to raise your monster in the beginning. :\ Totally loved the anime, btw.

Conan the Barbarian, the animation. From my experience, that was the first American cartoon series that actually had an ending. I was so surprised! It happened to be on while I was eating breakfast back when I was in junior high and for a cartoon, it was fairly mature; main characters are adults, plot was serious, no stupid side-kick, had fighting, etc.

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

#13 Post by Vatina »

I think there is a new Monster Rancher game coming for DS or something.

Anyway... as for obscure things that I love, Ginga Densetsu Weed. If nothing else, then for the nostalgia. Those were great times.
Ever17 too - since outside places like this one, it is very obscure :P

Coatl
Regular
Projects: Working Title (If I realese the Alpha before I give out a title I'll ask for opinions)

#14 Post by Coatl »

Because no one said it, I have to give No More Heroes a fav.

It's a great ride for anyone who loves action games on the wii. Actually alot of Suda51-directed games are generally pretty crazy.

but this is why I love NMH:

Crazy good Dialogue (it really says a lot about a boss in very little time)

Crazy specials (a lot are inspired by pop-culture)

Overthetop Anime references

Great Sword fighting

I'm really looking forward for the sequel.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#15 Post by LVUER »

No More Heroes. Yes, I also played it. The game is pretty good (and I heard they make a sequel and a port).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW