Temple Glen

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DrakeNavarone
Veteran
Completed: see sig below
Projects: always; never not
Organization: Team BG

Temple Glen

#1 Post by DrakeNavarone »

This is not a visual novel. This is an animation sequence done entirely in Ren'Py with the framework of a visual novel to give it justification for release. All the same, enjoy.

Okay, let's do that again a little more seriously. This is a very short visual novel I made, based off of an old Nanoreno idea I had and quit, and re-inspired by Kikered when he created a particularly awesome animation sequence using the sprites that would've been for the game, Temple Glen. I decided to take another shot at the story in a dramatically different way, and it actually worked out, I think. Mostly. Perhaps. While the very core of it is the same, everything else differs greatly from what would have been, but I think it's all for the better.

Since I foresee a few questions about the sequence, first and foremost, it doesn't use ATL so it isn't really an example of what ATL is capable of... the animation part of the project was made a number of months before ATL was released ( Back in my day, we used transitions and a little bit of this magic called "ingenuity"... and by 'we' I mean mostly Kikered ), and was passed around mostly among friends as just an experiment. It may be possible to release just the animation sequence as a standalone (its original form) with the files unobfuscated for the curious, but this decision is entirely sir Kik's, so bother him and not me.

And again, enjoy. It really isn't much.

Download Here
Last edited by DrakeNavarone on Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
http://www.twitter.com/drakeynv
The Compendium of Drake:
Starlit Sky ~ Songs of Araiah ~ Mirai Imouto ~ Temple Glen ~ Fuyu no Tabi

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

Re: Temple Glen

#2 Post by sake-bento »

Throughout the story, I was wondering where all the cool animation was. And then, there it was. I like it. It's pretty cool what you can do, and it's true that YouTube videos are the secret to fame. Even my less than ideal singing has snagged thousands of views. Interesting story framework. Definitely seems like something worth expanding on, although I was kinda thrown off when someone said "Geass."

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#3 Post by Deji »

I really liked it! In the beginning I was like "what? who? uh? who are these people?" and then slowly... I liked that :)
It left me a bittersweet (but more sweet that bitter, though) aftertaste. Nice.
The animation was really cool, btw!

Good job :D
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Wintermoon
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Wintermoon »

I liked the VN portion. Nice character sprites, likable characters, and a situation that I can relate to.

I did not like the extra. The animation isn't bad but seemed gratuitous and unfocused, and the music isn't my style.

Ren

#5 Post by Ren »

I already told you what I think, but it's worth reiterating the concept - your works and a few other people's (Cloud's, Mikey's, Shirai Junichi's...) manage to give me an undefinable feeling that I really enjoy getting, and find hard to explain. At the end of the VN I was sitting there, after a long, shitty day at work, feeling quite... soothed and content.
It's the same thing I got with Miyazaki's movies, and it's a wonderful feeling.

I really do admire you as a person and as an author, and I'm really glad these forums give us the opportunity to come across people like you.

(I'm feeling like this today, bear with me)

blakjak
Veteran

#6 Post by blakjak »

This was a really nice KN, It was short, yet you managed to set up a distinct mood, a very pleasant one, and I totally agree with the above post, I felt good and happy after experiencing it.

I loved the writing style, fast and funny, it felt very natural.
The fact that I was thrown in the story without any intro, participated in that eerie feeling that comes from reading Temple Glen, whether it was intended or not, it befits your creation perfectly.
Characters come alive even in such short time, and I could easily empathize with Ray's jaded attitude.

I would also love to see more, because the story is catchy, and has potential for more sweetness.

The sprites are nice, clean and cute, makes me wonder how they would look with something else than those photo backgrounds that don't do them justice.

Music was good, the song from the video made me laugh
french lyrics :mrgreen:
and the animation was really nice, good use of alpha.

Nanashiko
Regular

#7 Post by Nanashiko »

Short but very nice. I liked the characters and the story was pretty good. I liked the whole being thrown in the middle and having to have things explained it made it great and very interested. So interested I wish it was longer xD Great job!