6.11 Development

In this forum we discuss the future of Ren'Py, both bug fixes and longer-term development. Pre-releases are announced and discussed here.
delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

Re: 6.11 Development

#16 Post by delta »

Couple of random ideas regarding the launcher:

* add a button to delete all rpyc files from a project.
* add a distribution function that concatenates all scripts. It's useful not to include scripts in an rpa for easier later patching, but that can lead to a whole lot of clutter, and simply concatenating all rpy files in the prder they would normally be parsed in shoud work. You would end up with a single script.rpyc file in your distro, which is as good as an archive. The only catch is that script-implicit returns have to be handled, maybe by inserting a label named like the file that simply returns in between the files, or by introducing a new statement that works like a return, but from the top indentation level, regardless of where the script indent is.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

delta
Epitome of Generic
Projects: yes

#17 Post by delta »

Another feature request.

config.tag_implicit_onlayer = {"tag":"layer", ...}

Provides a mapping from image tags to layers. Tags in this dictionary will be shown on the named layer by default, unless explicitly stated otherwise in the script. Everything else is shown on the layer "master" by default.

This would provide a mechanism to ensure that, for example, backgrounds will always be in the background, inserts will always be shown on top, etc. It goes well with the config.tag_implicit_transform idea I proposed earlier.
The rest is left as an exercise for the reader.

Jo'ogn
Veteran
Projects: Kassiopeia [iVN]

#18 Post by Jo'ogn »

Feature request - unless already possible (but unknown to me how to do)

- GUI sounds on different channels so that a mouse click doesn't cut off a mouse hover and vice versa.

- sounds in ATL, so that sounds can be synced to animations.

- several voice channels, or channels with voice behaviour
Audio Plays: [original] The White Feathers Directive - [Star Wars] Through Flame and Shadow
Ren'Py: Kassiopeia [very interactive VN] work in progress - looking for proof reader english

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#19 Post by luminarious »

Jo'ogn wrote:- sounds in ATL, so that sounds can be synced to animations.
This seems like a good idea to me.

duanemoody
Regular
Projects: American Jurassic
Organization: Pier 7 Media

#20 Post by duanemoody »

Wishlist:
  • Offline documentation.
  • When I make a distribution have Ren'Py ask me if I want developer mode set to False (and not alter the options.rpy file).
  • A tool for generating both Windows .ico/OS X .icns resources from a .PNG and inserting them in the pertinent locations.
  • A standard for versioning which not only appends it to the distribution's filename but somewhere in the game itself (i.e. about screen, OS-specific metadata in the executables).
  • A pony.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#21 Post by PyTom »

I'll keep these in mind for the future, but 6.11 is being kept limited to obvious bugfixes, OpenGL, and various architectural changes to support OpenGL.

duanemoody wrote:Wishlist:
  • Offline documentation.
That already exists, in the doc directory of the Ren'Py download.
A tool for generating both Windows .ico/OS X .icns resources from a .PNG and inserting them in the pertinent locations.
That's really beyond the scope of Ren'Py. I recommend icofx for this sort of thing.
A pony.
Ponies are more of a web framework thing.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

duanemoody
Regular
Projects: American Jurassic
Organization: Pier 7 Media

#22 Post by duanemoody »

FWIW the current download of renpy-6.10.2-sdk.zip lists itself as version 6.10.1 in OS X.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#23 Post by PyTom »

What's actually going on there is that the mac launcher is built separately from the total Ren'Py distribution. Since I didn't need to update the mac launcher for 6.10.2, it kept the old version.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#24 Post by JinzouTamashii »

How are we doing with the implentation (sp) of PyGame?
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#25 Post by PyTom »

JinzouTamashii wrote:How are we doing with the implentation (sp) of PyGame?
I'm sorry, but this question doesn't make much sense to me.

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#26 Post by JinzouTamashii »

I don't think it makes any sense to me either. :lol:

:arrow: :idea: = eureka moment
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Mihara
Regular

#27 Post by Mihara »

Minor wish, would be nice to see:

Is it feasible to optionally make a distributed project have the RenPy python-related components squished into a zip file, kind of like py2exe on windows does it?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#28 Post by PyTom »

Mihara >>>

Ren'Py supports this, but it's not the default because it makes it harder for people to fix a game if something goes wrong with Ren'Py. Also, you'll need to ensure the LICENSE.txt file, which is placed into renpy/ when building distributions, is moved to a visible location, for legal reasons.

Everyone >>>

Ren'Py's GL drawing mode is now working. There are still a few unimplemented features, like taking a screenshot and the software mouse. But it's working to the point where I can begin to play games with it. I've also implemented the aspect-ratio preserving scaling. It's actually pretty nice to just be able to maximize a Ren'Py game, and keep the various other bars up on the screen.

Here's a screenshot of where I am right now. I'm hoping to release a tech demo at some point in the next few weeks, so that people can test out GL support while I work on other new features, like the new screens system. (Better name coming soon.)
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg

Mihara
Regular

#29 Post by Mihara »

PyTom wrote:Mihara >>>

Ren'Py supports this, but it's not the default because it makes it harder for people to fix a game if something goes wrong with Ren'Py. Also, you'll need to ensure the LICENSE.txt file, which is placed into renpy/ when building distributions, is moved to a visible location, for legal reasons.
I suspect you are referring to .rpyc files which make up a finished project, which I was able to get into an .rpa archive, and it looks like it would just work -- they're getting read from there, because lint complains about duplicate labels, as long as there's a script.rpyc to start it all up. While it would be nice to have several archive files (one for graphics, one for sound and one for scripts, for example) I expect it works already in arbitrarily complex ways if I just meditate on the loader code and invoke the archiver properly. :)

However, this is not what I meant -- I don't see anything about squishing the 'renpy' itself into a bundle. Py2Exe is capable of reducing a single python script into just three files - a launcher executable, msvcr71.dll, and a zip file containing the entirety of the Python runtime and libraries the script pulls in. This is generally how I use it when I can.

RenPy itself as it is distributed with a finished project consists not only of the msvcr71.dll and python25.dll one would expect, but also of a whole bunch of .pyo python libraries and Renpy's own .py/.pyo - which I would think would be safer inside a monolithic bundle of their own, and easier to replace as a unit if you wish to patch your released project together with updating it to a new RenPy version.

Glancing at your loader, it seems it's py2exe-derived already. While I'm not sure if Linux and Mac versions have an equivalent ready made loader capable of reading everything else from a zip file, it shouldn't be impossible for them either. If it is somehow possible to set this up in a project packaged for distribution with the current version of RenPy without going deep into the internals, I don't think I can find where is that documented and suspect that it isn't. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Kinsman
Regular

#30 Post by Kinsman »

A feature suggestion:

Since you're planning to put in OpenGL acceleration, how about the ability to add perspective deforming to displayables?
Flash To Ren'Py Exporter
See the Cookbook thread