Female, or male?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.

Are you male or female?

Male
57%
Female
43%

Total votes: 130

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

Female, or male?

#1 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

mikey wrote:...the female half of the forum members...
...Deep inside I am so respectful and non-sexist and I find women very beautiful and complex, yet logical beings, adding meaning to our lives,...
hmmm... I completely agree. Though... I'm not sure they constitute half of the forum members... Given that the community is themed on feelings of love, you'd think that there would be a higher density of women, but most games that are being made seem to be directed at men- because the protagonist is male. However, I do have a female friend that very much enjoys the games at the archives, so maybe gender of the main character isn't a factor...

Anyway, I thought it would be interesting to see appoximately what percentage of women post on these forums. Also, to see exactly who these female members are. Who knows, maybe it will allow us guys to act more chivalrous, and sensitive to those women who grace these forums.

For anyone who'd like to post, how about posting something that like about the opposite gender? Generalizations, as well as things about specific people you know will be ok. I'll start.

I like how women tend to be more sensitive than men. They're always concerned with how other people feel.

and some people say men and women can't get along- HA!

Otaku Dash
Veteran

#2 Post by Otaku Dash »

One thing that I has always come up in my education was being nice to other people, especially women. My mother always told me that "women are more treacherous than men, but also more sensible", and I kinda agree with her.

Athough men are generally more "relaxed" in terms of sentiments, women emotions can quicklly go to extremes... but that dosen't make them diferent. We have to respect them as they deserve. :D

I really hate sexists......and I don't mean just male.... female also. I think there has to be an equilibrium in things, and even though this is not an world of "equals" we should work for it.
"Life is like a flower....take care of it and watch it bloom......only there will you see its true beauty" - Myself

"Emptiness....that is...true fear...."

-FEAR THE NARU PUNCH!!- :)

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#3 Post by rioka »

Yes, though you may not believe it, Junichi, there are quite a number of females on the board. Some are more regular in posts than others though. Quite a number turned up during NaNoRenO actually. ^^

Hmmm, I'm generally not the kumbaya-type but I will just say that it's nice when a guy surprises you with something unexpected - in a good way. No NOT gifts! I mean by something that they may say or do. ...Hmm, well, I can't express it more eloquently than that so - read between the lines. :slinks back to the dark recesses of the room:

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#4 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

eclipse wrote:Yes, though you may not believe it, Junichi, there are quite a number of females on the board.
Yourself, for example- didn't see that one coming O_o ... I suppose though that it makes sense- you being the first to create an English bishounen game and all... I just hadn't thought about it. So I guess you're right- I bet their are a lot more women here than I realize-
eclipse wrote:...I'm generally not the kumbaya-type...
Yeah- I suppose that was a little cheesy ^_^;;; Everyone can disregard it, and say whatever they want, if they like.

Oh, and the new renaigames site looks great!

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:Yourself, for example- didn't see that one coming O_o
lol At least you're taking it better than some. There was actually someone here who exclaimed, "NOOOOOOOOO~!" at one time.... XD
ShiraiJunichi wrote:Oh, and the new renaigames site looks great!
Thanks! Btw, I'll hold off on adding AniTuner to the Ren'Py tutorial until I can get a look at it and maybe type a paragraph or two about using it. And I won't forget about your other trick.

Btw, for everyone who has linked to renaigames.com, you can either a) change the .com to .net or b) wait till tonight when I upload the redirectors into renaigames.com but I suggest you guys do a) as it will be awhile before renaigames.com points to renaigames.net. Yeah, run-on sentence there... ^^

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#6 Post by mikey »

eclipse wrote:lol At least you're taking it better than some. There was actually someone here who exclaimed, "NOOOOOOOOO~!" at one time.... XD
I have to confess, for a month or two at the beginning... I was in the dark as well 8)

Well, actually it's normal, isn't it? As for me, despite my nickname one of the people at my club forums thought I was a girl. :oops:

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#7 Post by Megaman Z »

eclipse wrote:
lol At least you're taking it better than some. There was actually someone here who exclaimed, "NOOOOOOOOO~!" at one time.... XD
...and don't forget when I cursed the english language because of a lack of gender-neutral pronouns.

(OT: for some reason, a lot of people keep calling me "Megaman". and it's not just here, either. to anyone wanting a shorter name, "Zeta" will do just fine. for the super lazy, "Z" will suffice.)

(somewhat on-topic... I think: after about... a month or so, we could end up getting a surge of new members. the reason? a (currently non-existant) Gaia Online guild.)
~Kitsune Zeta

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by mikey »

Megaman Z wrote:and don't forget when I cursed the english language because of a lack of gender-neutral pronouns.
My language has gender-specific pronouns, but only in the past tense, or with would, could etc. Plus in possesive pronouns and generally in suffixes the female gender has the (in)famous -ova/-ina suffix, used also with female surnames. Some women disagree with this as it effectively means the suffix declares they are their husbands' possession, or subordinated in a way. Still, if you are clever, you can speak gender-neutrally at forums.

darkknight
Veteran

#9 Post by darkknight »

eclipse wrote:

{/quote]

now who would say that...must be some dumb guy

and for the longest time i thought pytom was a girl from the picture
If one man speaks out in a crowd against everyones opinion...Who will be remembered? The one who spoke his mind, or the millions that spoke against him....

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

darkknight wrote:for the longest time i thought pytom was a girl from the picture
I know exactly what you mean. After meeting PyTom, I no longer use someone's avatar to determine gender O_o

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#11 Post by PyTom »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:I know exactly what you mean. After meeting PyTom, I no longer use someone's avatar to determine gender O_o
I thought the rule on this forum is simple. A person is of the opposite gender as their avatar.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by mikey »

So that makes me a white circle? 8)

JackalAndromeda
Regular

#13 Post by JackalAndromeda »

Hmm, looks like we're about one third of the forum population so far.

I think that ren'ai games have fewer female fans because some people would be uncomfortable courting other girls, even digital ones. Of course there are some aimed at girls, but they almost never get translated. Though I think that Anima Mundi game is for girls, I'm not sure...

I like both kinds, though.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#14 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

JackalAndromeda wrote:I think that ren'ai games have fewer female fans because some people would be uncomfortable courting other girls, even digital ones
I don't know if I'd say "uncomfortable"... I can play Amgine Park without feeling uncomfortable (same with WIRTW); though, the experience feels fundamentally different. I guess it's because I can't empathize with the player character on a basic level. But, I can still enjoy the ren'ai, by putting myself in the shoes of the guy being courted- which is an interesting change.
But, you could very well be right. A) I'm not a girl. B) I'm certainly not EVERY girl

Megaman Z
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: NaNoRenO 2016, Ren'Py tutorial series

#15 Post by Megaman Z »

PyTom wrote:
ShiraiJunichi wrote:I know exactly what you mean. After meeting PyTom, I no longer use someone's avatar to determine gender O_o
I thought the rule on this forum is simple. A person is of the opposite gender as their avatar.
so... eclipse is a guy? (either that, or I've been fooled twice by her... her avi looks like a girl to me...)
~Kitsune Zeta