Air Pressure

Finished games are posted here, once they've been tested and are ready for wide release.
Forum rules
Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

Air Pressure

#1 Post by chronoluminaire »

A friend sent me a link to this game (I didn't write it). It's a short Ren'Py visual novel with lots of choices and three endings. I'd be interested to see what LSF people make of it.

http://bentosmile.com/gameslist/air-pressure/
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

Re: Air Pressure

#2 Post by CaesMRaenes »

Huh. This was interesting, even though it was short. I liked how the theme was pixelated and, well, limited color. Very charming and well done. I enjoyed this overall.
But goodness, the girl was creepy. First thing I did was dump her on the spot. XD What I really, really enjoyed was the fact that her image was flickering depending on what choices was picked. It brought me to believe that she must be a figment of his imagination. Oooooo~ <3
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#3 Post by Scout »

I really can't decide if this is a game about mental illness, abusive relationships, or literary criticism, but it's definitely some sort of brilliant.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#4 Post by Blue Lemma »

CaesMRaenes wrote:
What I really, really enjoyed was the fact that her image was flickering depending on what choices was picked. It brought me to believe that she must be a figment of his imagination. Oooooo~ <3
Huh, that would explain the
flickering and nurse/semi-attempted suicide ending. If he tries to get closer to his imaginary girlfriend/mental illness, things would definitely go downhill.
Weird, but cool game.
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#5 Post by ludeshka »

My theory is that it's about
drugs
. Think about it. She
attaches herself to his arm, she can have him end up in a hospital...
But perhaps the creator intended something completely different XDDD

I think this game was really creepy, and really well done.
I really enjoy the fact that it leaves itself open to more than one interpretation. :D

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#6 Post by Blue Lemma »

That makes sense too. So many possibilities!

Or maybe it's all just literal :lol:
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )

JinzouTamashii
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: E-mail me if you wanna rock the planet

#7 Post by JinzouTamashii »

It took my mind off my current problems, and I actually saw this one from Game-Set-Watch with the Indie Shout-Outs and I was surprised when I belatedly read the ReadMe and noticed it was made with Ren'Py and came over here.

I really like the retro pixelated look... I like the girl and the
flickering took me by surprise and I thought she was a hologram at that point. She's also really clingy... and it seems that I missed an ending, so I'm going to try to get that one. When you dump her, she also has an evil expression that made me nervous but I went through with it.
Don't worry, we can get through it together. I didn't forget about you! I just got overwhelmed.
https://cherylitou.wordpress.com

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#8 Post by Der Tor »

Okay... i played it several times now and enjoyed it and got different endings but i still don't know
WHAT in the world is she????
Please somebody tell me?????

Der Tor
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Der Totengräber, There is always a Choice, Darkness
Projects: A Legend of an Ancient Evil
itch: emmanuel-goldstein

#9 Post by Der Tor »

I thought about it some more and even though i still couldn't figure out who she is, it's definitely made very clear that
whatever she is, she isn't the cute girl she appears to be... I love how this game turns the romance and the "pursue girl get happy ending" in Visual Novels upside down... here you have to dump her if you wanna live... it also has that kind of message of "don't judge by appearances". Looks can be deceiving and in this case she looks like a cute girl and it looks hard and cruel to break away from her, but in this case it is the right thing to do... i agree with ludeshka... it's about addiction... the girl isn't real and symbolizes his addiction. She attaches to his arm and stays attached to his arm for years and years and doesn't let go and she doesn't let him go anywhere without her, influences his decisions, makes him stay away from outside friends, and is always nice and smiling except that she is an illusion and also the moment you want to take control over your live her illusory smile changes into an evil grin, and while she is nice to you as long as you stay with here and while you think everything is fine and nice - from an outside perspective she is seriously harming your health and putting your life in jeopardy and you even thank her for that and the flickering makes clear that she isn't human. It's full of symbolism and it's clearly about addictions... now... how can i get obsessed WoW players to play this? :mrgreen:

Coren
Mindscrew Driver
Completed: Dear Mariko, Six Rules, Ribbon of Green, RE: Prince of Nigeria, Doppelganger, Cole's Gate Demo, Crimson Rafflesia Demo, Mica: Apoptosis Demo
Projects: Crimson Rafflesia, Mica: Apoptosis, Fantasy Euthanasia
Organization: Soyasushi Productions
Tumblr: CorenBaili
Deviantart: CorenB

#10 Post by Coren »

I think that
The girl definitely represents a type of drug. She attached to his left arm, which could symbolize him performing the injection of the drug. And also, the doc talks about how he "missed veins and arteries", and in the best ending it took a month for her to be out of his life, and it could represent him getting over his addiction.

curry nochi rice
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Delicatessen, Whom to Notice, Start of Something, Love Sorcery
Organization: Circle Cosine
IRC Nick: Curry
itch: project-rothera

#11 Post by curry nochi rice »

Kirroha wrote:I think that
The girl definitely represents a type of drug. She attached to his left arm, which could symbolize him performing the injection of the drug. And also, the doc talks about how he "missed veins and arteries", and in the best ending it took a month for her to be out of his life, and it could represent him getting over his addiction.
you mean:
She's a drug induced-illusion in our (players) brain or a drug addiction -induced illusion????
or
The plot was in the ream-like state where he goes with the personification of his addiction???
Last edited by curry nochi rice on Sat May 01, 2010 12:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Personal (R-13) | Now at IndieDB | Circle Cosine's itch.io
I wanna be done.

Nanashiko
Regular

#12 Post by Nanashiko »

Pretty cool. The girl was really creepy, I got chills at times. I think it's one of those games where it doesn't have a clear this is what it is about. It is up for multiple interpretations kind of like Yume Nikki.

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#13 Post by luminarious »

Kirroha wrote:I think that
Incredibly enough, that sounds like to most logical explanation.

Kyomarou

#14 Post by Kyomarou »

Wow, that was great. Visually nifty and a short and sweet story.

Lucifiel
Regular

#15 Post by Lucifiel »

Interesting... I finished this yesterday and I thought that the girl was really dysfunctional in a sense. That was when I realized there was something really odd going on.

And not to mention the protagonist's attachment to her... which was kinda unhealthy.