Hiring a programmer for a commercial game (in Ren'py/python)

For recruitment of team members to help create visual novels and story-based games, and for people who want to offer their services to create the same.
Forum rules
Do not bump threads - post some new content instead.
bobbk
Regular

Hiring a programmer for a commercial game (in Ren'py/python)

#1 Post by bobbk »

I'm looking to hire someone with at least a college level experience programming, please no high school students, serious inquiries only.

I am the primary programmer but I need a series of 4 gameplay features programmed that are a bit out of my league.
For the most part they are simple for an educated programmer, they require you to build systems which grab random images, text strings, and values and put them together randomly for various minigames. I imagine it will involve arrays and classes, whatever gets the job done.

I have screenshot examples I will send to interested programmers, for now here's an example task so you have an idea of what I need, essentially this script loads random values into randomly chosen images and text strings, which then become buttons:

Step 1, The script randomly chooses 3 images from a set of 8 images and loads the random 3 images into buttons.

Step 2, values are randomly assigned to the buttons, the important part is that these values are determined by a skill level, a higher skill level will return low random values while a higher level will insert higher random values into the buttons.

Step 3, The script then randomly chooses 3 text strings from a set of 8 which are displayed below the buttons made step in 1 (So now the images and the text are mix-matched and always random)

Step 4, When a button is clicked the screen is wiped, an update is given to the player, and the script runs again until the minigame is finished, a final payout is calculated and you are sent to a final score screen (which I have already made)

These functions will be used for multiple minigames so the system will have to be robust enough to support me creating new images, text strings, etc..

The pay for this gig will be a comission fee for each script, $75 for my simplest script, and $125 and another $150 for the more complicated scripts, and another $150 for the final script for a total of $500 USD if you end up programming all 4 scripts. Most likely paid through paypal.

If you'd like this job please don't respond to this post, but e-mail me at bobbykanae@gmail.com with your qualifications, education, links to your past programs, resume` if you have one ready, etc.
Last edited by bobbk on Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Asphodel
Regular

Re: Hiring a programmer for a commercial game

#2 Post by Asphodel »

TBH that doesn't sound like it requires college-level programming experience. The prices you quoted are probably about right, though.

bobbk
Regular

Re: Hiring a programmer for a commercial game (in Ren'py/pyt

#3 Post by bobbk »

Mostly the education requirement lets me know they have job experience, so I know I'm looking at people who have worked with others professionally in the software arena.

They're also more likely to understand how to make it robust and flexible.

I'll be getting back to the people who e-mailed me as soon a few more responses roll in.

Asphodel
Regular

Re: Hiring a programmer for a commercial game (in Ren'py/pyt

#4 Post by Asphodel »

All right, I can see robust and flexible.

Good luck with your project.