A man married to a pillow

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

A man married to a pillow

#1 Post by LVUER »

I just read in my local newspaper... and I haven't verified the truth yet (though I doubt that the article is hoax considering the paper's reputation).

According to the article, there is a man in Japan who married to a pillow (human size 1:1) with picture of Fate Tesstarosa (I don't know from which anime is it). His wedding ceremony is attended by several person, one of which a local religion leader (perhaps he is the one who'll lead the wedding ceremony).

Ahhh.... if I could create a character that someone is willing to actually marry her... I'm very happy ^_^ (and freaked out for a or two reason)

BTW, isn't he afraid that the creator of that character could sue the man for marrying his/her character? If I'm the creator, perhaps I will.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Vatina
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Blue Rose, AO: Broken Memories, My Eternal Rival, Dust
Projects: AO: Fallen Star
Organization: White Cat
IRC Nick: Vatina
Tumblr: vatinyan
Deviantart: Vatina
itch: whitecat

Re: A man married to a pillow

#2 Post by Vatina »

Why would you sue? It's publicity! :D Besides, he's not earning money on the pillow (as far as we know :P)

I read that story in a local newspaper too. Reminded me of a short program that followed another otaku who took his Da Capo pillow with him to town and into restaurants.

When you think of why so many people do that, it's pretty sad...

Lunethex
Regular

#3 Post by Lunethex »

Slowpokes.

Very slow.

This is old and was on Sankakucomplex a long time ago. He was a Korean Otaku, not Japanese. Your paper doesn't give me a good first impression.

http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2010/03/0 ... akimakura/

I now pronounce you man and pillowcase.

I bet those kids think he brought the pillow so he could take a nap.

Hehehehehehehe...

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#4 Post by number473 »

Well, the news story got stirred up somehow, because it was on the radio here this morning as well. Also saying it was a Japanese man, although they didn't say who the anime character was. It seems to me that most people around here think that Japan == China == Korea anyway. So uninformed. (Oh, by around here I mean where I live, not on this forum.)
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#5 Post by LVUER »

Pay attention please! I never wrote a Japanese, I wrote a man in Japan. It's possible if he's a Korean since the paper wrote his name is Lee Kyun something, a korean name. But I omitted the detail since I don't think it's very important. So why if he's korean, is it any different if he's American, Indonesian, Korean, Japanese, Chinese, or whatever -ese/-an?

Oh, and why I sue him? Perhaps because I just couldn't stand the mind of having my beloved character (I love all my creation) together with that pervert... although yes, it is a good publicity. Nothing beats a sensational story like that.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#6 Post by Samu-kun »

I assure you, people have done more perverted things to Fate Testarossa.

I guess marrying anime characters is a pretty good way to get media attention. And it's a lot less risky than prank calling the cops and pretending that your kid is on a runaway hot air balloon too.

Dis
Regular
Projects: Angel of Love,Forgotten,War's Fate, D

#7 Post by Dis »

I haven’t read the article you guys mentioned, but not so long ago, I found a similar article on the net.
Where there's a will there's a way.

Project D:AoL
Special Thanks for their motivation and support to: BCS, Enerccio, mikey, monele, PyTom, yvanc, mugenjohncel, Sai

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#8 Post by PyTom »

Amateurs. There are people who have married the Eiffel Tower and the Berlin Wall, both of which are way larger than anything mentioned here.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#9 Post by Scout »

Wait, "amateurs?" Are you positing the existence of people who professionally marry unusual inanimate objects?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#10 Post by PyTom »

All I'm saying is that someone who can marry a work of civil engineering is at a completely different level than someone who is marrying something with a personality, albeit a fictional one.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

AllegroDiRossi
Regular
Tumblr: daroross
Deviantart: daroross

#11 Post by AllegroDiRossi »

Hmm, I dunno which is worse in my opinion. I mean, the people who marry landmarks could always just be doing it for the publicity (no matter how much they insist it's for love) but I can't shake the feeling that someone who does something like marrying a character who has a defined personality (albeit fictitious) might be a little worse because that person is fantasizing that there is some sort of connection between that character and themselves. They've rejected the idea of finding a partner in flesh and blood and turned to fantasy, effectively blocking themselves off from finding someone real while they indulge in their delusion. But then I read the article like PyTom posted where they connote the relationships of those women with the monuments to paraphilia and I am disturbed by the apparent sexualization of these relationships.

And all the more, I really don't understand why so many people still object to homosexual relationships when there are things like this going on. At least with gays and lesbians, there are two living, consenting individuals involved and not monuments or anime characters...
Live Life Heroically

duanemoody
Regular
Projects: American Jurassic
Organization: Pier 7 Media

#12 Post by duanemoody »

PyTom wrote:All I'm saying is that someone who can marry a work of civil engineering
Leave Cher out of this.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#13 Post by mikey »

As far as I am concerned, this is pretty much just playing around with words - using the word "marriage" in conjunction with inanimate objects takes away the two-sided nature of it.

Likewise, you can then claim someone "killed" a tree when they cut it down and so you demand prison for them. Or you make a sculpture and claim it's your "child" and apply for child bonus money from the state. Or someone can start their own "university" and graduate and ask to be referred to as a "doctor".

It's all the same principle, you need multiple actual human beings for the essence of those acts to take place.

But even if otaku succeed and in the end the word "marriage" is redefined and people will be able to be married to objects as well as to people, I am willing to bet there is going to be a new term which will describe some sort of a person-person vow for exclusivity. In the end, this will come full circle anyway.

Voight-Kampff
Veteran

#14 Post by Voight-Kampff »

Ah, this reminds me of a NY Times article I came across a while ago that had a similar subject matter:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magaz ... ove-t.html

I found it an absolutely fascinating read.

Blue Lemma
Forum Founder
Completed: ToL, Shoujo Attack!, Lemma Ten
Projects: [RETIRED FROM FORUM ADMINISTRATION - CONTACT PYTOM WITH ISSUES]

#15 Post by Blue Lemma »

Whenever I hear about some otaku doing ridiculous things like this, all I can think is "thanks for making people think Asian guys are creepier than they already do." :cry:

What's the marriage even mean though? Will his pillow get health care benefits or something? Can it decide what to do if he's on life support? :| (Oh wait, that implies he has a life... never mind :lol: )
“Among those who dislike oppression are many who like to oppress.”
- Napoleon Bonaparte

I've retired from forum administration. I do not add people to the "adult" group, deactivate accounts, nor any other administrative task. Please direct admin/mod issues to PyTom or the other mods : )