Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

Questions, skill improvement, and respectful critique involving art assets.
Aurelia-Aurora
Regular
Projects: Learning Japanese VN

Re: Art Dumpage! Show your art ^^

#2281 Post by Aurelia-Aurora »

ra-nyan wrote:insert awesomely epic picture here
That image is getting saved onto my HD.
Currently Working On One (1) Game
Story: 100%
Sprites: 25%
Script: 17%
Programming: 0%
Characters: 95%
Event CGs: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%

Dobuchu
Regular

#2282 Post by Dobuchu »

Working on creating a main character for a script I'm writing. : O

Blue Sky
Regular
Projects: The Perfect World, Mahou Shoujo Daisuki!

#2283 Post by Blue Sky »

I was just experimenting, and ended up making this. I was trying to be serious about shading practice today... :(
shadepr.png

blankd
Veteran
Completed: Vicarwissen
Projects: Heavenseed (current), I'm Not a Monster! (working on it slowly...)
Organization: Team Lazilisk
Tumblr: blankd
itch: blankd

#2284 Post by blankd »

The power of purple. *shrugs*

My interpretation of the demon of the same name.
Attachments
dantalion.png

mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

#2285 Post by mysterialize »

Dobuchu: Your drawing style is adorable. It's pretty typical anime, but I can't help but like the way you did the eyes. They're nice and simplistic. When colored, you you usually wind up putting lots of detail in them, or just keeping it solid?

blankd: That's just plain cool. I love the way you did the coloring, and it actually took me a second look to see the dragon in the back there. I kind of have to wonder how he gets his arms out of that cloak though.

ra-nyan
Regular

#2286 Post by ra-nyan »

yeah.. bored.. plus I need more practice.. especially with hands

:edit:

tried coloring without cleaning the lines for practice..
Attachments
airguitar-C.jpg
airguitar.jpg
boredom kills....

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#2287 Post by sake-bento »

ra-nyan, his expression is great. XD And I like what you did with the hands. His left seems a little larger than his right, but the shape and position of the fingers is beautiful. I despair when it comes to drawing hands. D:

I just finished coloring this. @^@ The kimono pattern is a manipulated scan from this site.

usul
Veteran
Projects: Teachings of the Buddha, System-Addict, Generation XxX

#2288 Post by usul »

Waou dats bootyfull ^_^
"The universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"
— Buckminster Fuller

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

#2289 Post by KomiTsuku »

Just a random sketch from my inventory.

Anthy
Regular

#2290 Post by Anthy »

New x_x

Anyway, I've been trying to make the graphics for a super long series of kinetic novels I've been working on for over a year now... which has wasted a ton of my time because I can never get them to look juuuust right. The artwork has evolved in style immensely since the first concept sketches, though. A few days ago I got SAI, which is my shiny new toy, so I've been experimenting with different coloring styles. I may just go back to simple cel because it's faster... not as pretty.. but faster... I can never finish anything x(

Backgrounds, however, I just recently got started on... *coughtoday* and with the amount of time that goes into making them... no, I wouldn't scrap them. Too much work lost.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
harusroom1.jpg

Aurelia-Aurora
Regular
Projects: Learning Japanese VN

#2291 Post by Aurelia-Aurora »

Anthy wrote:New x_x

Anyway, I've been trying to make the graphics for a super long series of kinetic novels I've been working on for over a year now... which has wasted a ton of my time because I can never get them to look juuuust right. The artwork has evolved in style immensely since the first concept sketches, though. A few days ago I got SAI, which is my shiny new toy, so I've been experimenting with different coloring styles. I may just go back to simple cel because it's faster... not as pretty.. but faster... I can never finish anything x(

Backgrounds, however, I just recently got started on... *coughtoday* and with the amount of time that goes into making them... no, I wouldn't scrap them. Too much work lost.
Those are really good. Especially that second picture (Event CG?).

Now if only I could draw like that.
Currently Working On One (1) Game
Story: 100%
Sprites: 25%
Script: 17%
Programming: 0%
Characters: 95%
Event CGs: 0%
Backgrounds: 0%

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#2292 Post by mugenjohncel »

Anthy wrote:Backgrounds, however, I just recently got started on... *coughtoday* and with the amount of time that goes into making them...
First and foremost welcome aboard the Lemmasoft Forums Anthy... now about BG... the coloring is quite A-OK but the positioning and the angle seems off... now I personally know how painful it is to redraw a BG just because the angle is OFF or something looked odd or out of place so I really do suggest you take a look at Google Sketch-Up...

http://sketchup.google.com

Don't let it's simplicity fool you... this is a capable 3D program. Use it to create and visualize rooms/scenes... use it to plan and layout objects and generate (export) the lineart for later post processing in your program of choice. I suggest spending a week getting familiar with the interface and the tutorials... rest will come naturally... really...

I'll share to you my method and workflow.

See this...

Start with basic shapes... don't worry about making errors and mistake at this step. You can change and correct them anytime.

Once you're done with it. Time to "paint" some texture to your scene. Google Sketchup comes with pre-shipped textures but you could import your own... if you read the tutorials, you won't have difficulty with this step... but anyway it's really easy... You could also change the time of the day and shadows will act accordingly or you could overide it and create your own settings. Once done, export the scene (the one you are currently looking on your screen... just think of it like pressing the print screen and pasting it somewhere) as an image (let's say you named it image_001.jpg for convenience purposes)... it is also recommended you choose a sky color that is radically different than the rest of your scenery so you could select it later with ease.

I will assume you are familiar and comfortable with basic image processing programs such as SAI and Photoshop. Next is to "turn off" the visibility of texture and make the sky and ground white while turning shadows "ON". If done correctly, you'll see something like the image above. Export the current scene and name it image_002.jpg

Open you image processing program (let's say Photoshop) Open image_001.jpg and then put image_002.jpg "above" image_001.jpg and set the layer property to "multiply". Setting it to multiply makes the lighter color transparent and the darker colors opaque... the lighter the color the more transparent it becomes so white should become "totally transparent"... This layer would be your shadow layer. Adjust layer transparency until satisfied.

Now here's the difficult step... you manually and painstakingly add details (well... it should be easier since you already have your scene and shadows and everything) in this case... I used this tutorial (See below link) to create the trees (well, slightly different colors but basically the same)

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 939#p75939

You're mostly on your own in this step but based on the images and the BG you posted... I can safely assume you're pretty comfortable with SAI so you'll do just fine. Just add a couple of highlights here and there while manually adjusting the colors to suit your needs. Save an unflattened version so you could always come back and make different time of day variations. And what's more... this method is faster than traditional methods... This particular BG including variations only took 3.5 hours at most... with practice you could even make it faster.

You have the potential Anthy all you need is knowledge and weapons and you'll be a GOD! Hope this helps...

"POOF" (Disappears... whew! that was long...)

Anthy
Regular

#2293 Post by Anthy »

holy... That looks great. I will have to try that. xD

One of my major fails is drawing straight lines and angles, that's why it probably looks so uneven.

ra-nyan
Regular

#2294 Post by ra-nyan »

much appreciated mugen.. I need to start doing backgrounds now.. ^^
boredom kills....

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#2295 Post by LVUER »

Wow, Mugen, as usual... your BG is beautiful ^_^

What software do you use to make the first picture? Is it also Sketch Up?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW