[WIP] Yukionna [BxG] (Romance, Horror, Action)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Kyonko802
Regular
Projects: Yukionna

[WIP] Yukionna [BxG] (Romance, Horror, Action)

#1 Post by Kyonko802 »

"There is an old legend.

Like many of its kind, the details of the legend are lost in obscurity. Documents crumble to ashes, stone falls
to pieces, stories are bent and told in ways ever differing. However, like every legend before it, this one started
with a single grain of truth.

In old Japan, a small family made its business through trading and merchant work. They were a happy and tightly
knit family.

One day, tragedy befell them.

From this tragedy was born a monster.

A Yukionna.

An endless winter descended upon the people of the village that the family had lived in. In desperation and fear,
the people lashed out against the Yukionna, the cause of their plight.

They sealed the creature away in order to be rid of its evil.

This required one who was of noble blood, someone who was close to the creature when she had still retained her
human form. Her fiance was chosen, and he reluctantly complied with the ritual to seal away the Yukionna forever.

Eventually the endless winter passed, and the people of the village were once again at peace.

However...

Should the seal ever be broken, an infinite snow would once again fall. Those who sealed the Yukionna fear this
above all else.

Who could survive an endless cold?"

---------

Yukionna is a project I've been tossing around in my head ever since I found Ren'Py. The only difference between the tossing now and back then is that now I have a development team to get the ball rolling.

I decided to join lemmasoft because it's the easiest way to get people interested in playing the thing. I want to be able to share this with people, otherwise, what is the point in writing it in the first place.

Yukionna's story is still slightly disorganized, it's still only in its infant stages, but I've made a good chunk of progress nonetheless. If you want to see what little I've manage to do so far please direct yourself to my signature, the blog link is my development blog.

Expect the character profiles to be updated with pictures when they are available, my artist is in university and she is working on limited free time.

Character profiles:

Kyle: The protaganist of the story. He is bitter and resentful to the world around him, blaming all his faults on others simply because he cannot handle the fact that his misfortunes are his own doing. During a snow storm he stumbles across a small ear ring, little does he know that sealed within this ear ring is a Yukionna, a snow woman. As the story unfolds, you, as the player, decide whether he opens up to the world around him, or remains a bitter and hateful human being.

Yuki: Sealed in her own jewelry by her fiance simply because she was feared as a monster, she does not understand her own position, nor that she caused the storm that frightened her village so. She has been sealed for hundreds of years, and as such she cannot remember much of her past, and what she does recall is fuzzy at best. She has observed the world around her while in confinement, yet there are still many things about the modern world she does not understand. She enlists Kyle's help to be free of her bonds.

Andrea: Andrea is a friend of Kyle's at his school. She has been tagging along with him to lunch in a subtle attempt to get him to open up to people, it hasn't worked very well so far. Her father is the town's local shieriff, and she takes pride in the fact that her family keeps the law, even in such a small place.

Rachel: Rachel is the girlfriend of the football team's captain, Chad Williams. She tends to break up spats between Kyle and Chad, and doesn't enjoy hostility very much. She tries to reason with Kyle and Chad often, but sparks fly between the two anyways. Her parents are owners and instructors of a Kempo dojo in town.

Chad: The captain of the school's football team. He tries to get along with everyone, but Kyle always manages to grate his nerves. More often than not he has had to stop his own team from taking their own form of 'payback' on Kyle, but it's getting harder to hold them back from doing anything.

EDIT 23Mar2010:
As I said before, Yukionna's protagonist is Kyle Grey, he likes to be left alone, doesn't want anybody in his business. His health is steadily declining due to his nature of staying inside all day. He surfs the web, he plays video games, he even forgoes school to do what he does. One day he stumbles across a small blue ear ring after a truck wrecks outside of his house.

Yuki is sealed within this ear ring, has been for hundreds of years.

After a slightly creepy introduction Kyle agrees to help Yuki be rid of the seal. By holding onto her ear ring her seal is slowly chipped away, and his own abilities are augmented in the process.

From here on out it is up to you how Kyle behaves.

Does he slowly open up and become friends, or maybe more, with Yuki?

Oooooor does he stay a cynical bastard, and use Yuki as a blunt object against the world he believes to have wronged him somehow?

Getting a heroine is the easy part, there's no complicated path, no crazy love affairs, and especially no step siblings.

No, taking a girl's path is the easy part.

The real question is, can Kyle survive long enough to see how it plays out?

Ghosts, goblins, ghouls, and nasties all plague our world behind the curtains, Yuki isn't the only one of her kind, and she CERTAINLY isn't the meanest.
Last edited by Kyonko802 on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Currently trying to regain my sanity.

Yukionna Project Thread

PrettySammy09
Veteran

Re: [WIP] Yukionna (20,000 words and counting)

#2 Post by PrettySammy09 »

This sounds like a pretty cool story! Are there are going to be three paths, one for each girl I'm presuming? I'm interested because the legend sounds very archaic while the main character and most of his cohorts seem to be very modern. What kind of genre is it exactly?

Kyonko802
Regular

#3 Post by Kyonko802 »

Yes there will be three paths.

As for the story, it is focused on romance, action, and the legend of the Yukionna itself. If you look on wikipedia or search google you can learn more about the Yukionna and what they are capable of.

My artist already has a few sketches of Yuki done, but nothing I'm going to be posting by her profile. If you want to take a look you can check out the blog, and I'd be happy to answer any questions you have.

Yukionna Project Thread

Suzumiyaandy
Regular

#4 Post by Suzumiyaandy »

This looks incredibly interesting. I'm looking forward to the final project.

Kyonko802
Regular

#5 Post by Kyonko802 »

Believe me, I'm looking forward to it just as much. ^_^

Yukionna Project Thread

Kyonko802
Regular

#6 Post by Kyonko802 »

Hey again, Seeing as how I've been churning out words, editing, and coding like nobody's business I figure it's time to give a status update on how Yukionna is coming along, I'll give you some new snippets of story in this post, and they'll be added to the first post for future reference. (God I hope this VN gets some attention :/ )

Seeing as how my muse has been restless she's constantly been nagging on me about posting on this thread.

I'll let you guys know right now that I'm horrible at anything to do with status updates, blogs, posts, what have you.

However, I will try my best to keep everyone in Lemma up to date on what's happening.

Before we get started with Yukionna itself I'd like to cover some bases.

Due to a series of unfortunate events my artist has been changed. Amorrah is not fired, but she will be moved to one of my other projects, also to do with the paranormal, but much more family friendly than Yukionna will end up being. Yukionna is, to say the least, going to be violent, and that's putting it mildly. Remember people, GHOSTS ARE NOT YOUR FRIENDS (Except Yuki)

Also, I'm looking for a background artist.

If you have talents drawing backgrounds and landscapes and buildings and rooms, PLEASE for the love of all that is good and holy contact me, I don't want to have to resort to photography and photoshop but I will if I have to, if Katawa Shoujo can do it I sure as hell can.

Now, on with what I came here to do in the first place:

*Ahem*

As I said before, Yukionna's protagonist is Kyle Grey, he likes to be left alone, doesn't want anybody in his business. His health is steadily declining due to his nature of staying inside all day. He surfs the web, he plays video games, he even forgoes school to do what he does. One day he stumbles across a small blue ear ring after a truck wrecks outside of his house.

Yuki is sealed within this ear ring, has been for hundreds of years.

After a slightly creepy introduction Kyle agrees to help Yuki be rid of the seal. By holding onto her ear ring her seal is slowly chipped away, and his own abilities are augmented in the process.

From here on out it is up to you how Kyle behaves.

Does he slowly open up and become friends, or maybe more, with Yuki?

Oooooor does he stay a cynical bastard, and use Yuki as a blunt object against the world he believes to have wronged him somehow?

Getting a heroine is the easy part, there's no complicated path, no crazy love affairs, and especially no step siblings.

No, taking a girl's path is the easy part.

The real question is, can Kyle survive long enough to see how it plays out?

Ghosts, goblins, ghouls, and nasties all plague our world behind the curtains, Yuki isn't the only one of her kind, and she CERTAINLY isn't the meanest.

Yukionna Project Thread

Kyonko802
Regular

Re: [WIP] Yukionna (Looking for a BG artist)

#7 Post by Kyonko802 »

The protagonists, Kyle and Yuki.

My artist wanted to go with a more 'Ghost in the Shell' feel. Yuki's wardrobe in the picture won't be used in THIS visual novel, perhaps later.

What do you guys think?

Yukionna Project Thread

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by lepapillonrouge »

^_^ I actually am pretty interested in this project...XD Partially because it has some similarities to my own (though my game is otome/GxB)
I suppose it's more Western oriented, right? But yet, I can't help but think of Kanon a bit (probably the whole winter deal) and see more anime like artstyle. XD But that's just me, it's your project :D Then again, it's going to have action in it, eh?
deviantART
---------------------

Kyonko802
Regular

#9 Post by Kyonko802 »

Yes, there's going to be action.

I'm also taking cues from Supernatural.

Kyle and Yuki begin hunting, and the way they do things is a lot like that show, just with different tools.

It's not exactly the same, it's still my own story, but it pulls cues from different mediums.

Maybe I should throw in a Supernatural shoutout. ^_^

Yukionna Project Thread

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by lepapillonrouge »

As expected. :)

Say, are you almost done with the script, or are you done with it already. XD?
deviantART
---------------------

Kyonko802
Regular

#11 Post by Kyonko802 »

I'm not even CLOSE to done.

I'm at the 22,000 word mark and I'm only two parts into Yuki's route.

Haven't even started on Rachel and Andrea's routes.

I'm putting all my heart into this project, because I notice you guys don't often get great VNs, and I want Yukionna to be great.

All three girl's routes are completely different, and they are easy to get on, the skip button will hardly have to be utilized, the best I can say right now is that if you don't play all the routes, you'll definitely be missing out.

Yukionna Project Thread

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#12 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Art is awesome looking! And I like Kyle's look - very distinct.

Oooo! I'm liking the length, for the record - we're looking at roughly 90,000 words? That's niiiice! Hours of gameplay right there.

I'll be watching!

Kyonko802
Regular

#13 Post by Kyonko802 »

Actually... at the rate I'm going it's going to be quite a bit more than 90,000 words.

Heh ^_^'

Edit 26Mar2010:
Also, my editor and I were talking last night about the project, and we are definately going to do a sequel.

Work won't start on the sequel until Yukionna is at least 80% finished.

However, we did decide on the interesting little tidbit that you will be playing a female character in this one.

Yukionna Project Thread

Kyonko802
Regular

#14 Post by Kyonko802 »

Hello again everyone.

I was talking with my development team last night, coming up with ideas and different things to do with this entire project, and I realized I forgot to let you guys know something.

As mentioned in the above post Yukionna is going to be quite a bit greater than 90,000 words.

Not only this, but we have a phenomanal character artist, and I'm endlessly writing and writing and writing.

I won't be surprised if I end up clocking in a whooping 200,000 words.

Sheesus, that's about the size of Clannad isn't it? -_-'

Anyways, despite all the team effort that's going into this project, and despite the fact that we intend to create such a large visual novel, and ALSO despite the fact that there will be more event pictures than you can shake a stick at...

I do not intend to sell this product to you.

Yukionna will be completely free and released under the creative commons liscence you see on my blog page.

We are all working on this project for free, so it only makes sense that it is distributed for free.

That... and it'll be easier to get people to play it this way.

I care more about people enjoying Yukionna.

THAT will be the real payment of this project. If we entertain even a small group of people with Yukionna, it would have been worth the effort.

Yukionna Project Thread

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#15 Post by IonicMomo »

This looks like a really cool project! The plot really grabbed me; it seems very fairytale meets apocalypse meets high school life. The art looks great too, and a little cyberpunk (I can almost see Case and Molly from Neuromancer in the drawings of Kyle and Yuki), and the antihero seems like a compelling character. *eagerly waiting*
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride