Anyone Interested in Online RPing?

Forum organization and occasional community-building.
Forum rules
Questions about Ren'Py should go in the Ren'Py Questions and Announcements forum.
mysterialize
Veteran
Projects: The World is Made of Paper

Anyone Interested in Online RPing?

#1 Post by mysterialize »

I don't mean online ERPing. This isn't the hentai section.

That aside, this seems like the sort of group of people who would be interested in some sort of online RPing, due to the number of writers here, and the character based nature of VNs in general. I've been kind of craving it lately due to a recent fall of activity in my usual RPing place, so I'm wondering if anyone else would be interested in getting some sort of long term thing going for the hell of it. If we could get a whole group, and maybe even a detailed setting going, that would be amazing.

If you haven't Role Played before, but might be curious about it/interested in trying, then feel free to speak up as well.

Edit: We have a forum now. If you're interested in joining, follow this link and sign up:
http://www.errantheart.net/forums/viewforum.php?f=4
Last edited by mysterialize on Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: Anyone Interested in Online RPing?

#2 Post by LVUER »

What is RPing (and ERPing)? This is the first time I heard it...
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#3 Post by IonicMomo »

I've never role-played...but if there's a decent plot, I wouldn't mind joining in!

LVUER - I'm probably not the best person to explain this because I've never RP'ed before, but from what I understand, it's basically a "game" (can't think of a better word) in which users create or assume fictional characters and invent a story with them. Each user/post adds to the development of the story. It can go one for a very long time, and usually there is a set of rules to keep the plot and characters consistent. It's basically collaborative writing done online, but very cool because you have a large pool of people contributing ideas. Total strangers can throw in shocking plot twists, and it seems like it would be a lot of fun. Of course, there probably has to be the right kind of chemistry between the writers to keep the story good.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article: link
(EDIT: Sorry, wrong link. This new one should work fine.)

Wow, I hope you get some more people on board, mysterialize, because I'm actually kind of excited now. :D
Last edited by IonicMomo on Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#4 Post by MaiMai »

I'm pretty much an RPer as a hobby. (I mostly RP over Livejournal or privately over AIM with close friends) I like RPing characters from other series, but I also have a good amount of Original Characters that I use.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

LVUER
King of Lolies

#5 Post by LVUER »

IonicMomo wrote:I've never role-played...but if there's a decent plot, I wouldn't mind joining in!

LVUER - I'm probably not the best person to explain this because I've never RP'ed before, but from what I understand, it's basically a "game" (can't think of a better word) in which users create or assume fictional characters and invent a story with them. Each user/post adds to the development of the story. It can go one for a very long time, and usually there is a set of rules to keep the plot and characters consistent. It's basically collaborative writing done online, but very cool because you have a large pool of people contributing ideas. Total strangers can throw in shocking plot twists, and it seems like it would be a lot of fun. Of course, there probably has to be the right kind of chemistry between the writers to keep the story good.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia article: link

Wow, I hope you get some more people on board, mysterialize, because I'm actually kind of excited now. :D
Sound interesting! When there're more people and decent plot, I'll definitely join in.
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account

mysterialize
Veteran

#6 Post by mysterialize »

Of course there will be plot. There will be plot everywhere. We'll be drowning in plot.

We should probably settle on a genre first though. I don't know what kinds of things people will like here. The genres are usually about the same as they are for books/shows/movies/etc., but I'll make a list of the most common ones for convenience's sake anyways.

Medieval Fantasy
Modern Fantasy
Sci-fi
Steampunk
Cyberpunk
Slice of Life High School
Slice of Life College
Slice of Life Anything Else
Crime Drama
Fandom (We should probably avoid this since we'll only have so many people, and probably won't agree on a fandom to RP)
Supernatural (Different from Modern Fantasy in that it usually involves the occult and an otherwise more realistic setting. Think ghosts, vampires, and psychics, but no magical powers not related to the occult or SCIENCE!.)

There's more, of course, but those are the most popular, for the most part. I personally like just about everything on that list except for the slice of life ones and fandoms, and medieval fantasy is my least favorite fantasy genre, but I'll be willing to participate in just about any of them if everyone else wants it.

We would also need to settle on where, when, and how we'll wind up holding this. It's entirely possible to hold on a single board topic like this one, but it would be a bit difficult to manage. If we could get more than one board going for OOC and discussion to be put into, that would probably make things easier. I just don't know how PyTom and them will feel about us spamming the boards with it. We may need to move to a different forum for the RP.

Finally, I doubt we'll be too strict about the rules, but if anyone has any preferences, feel free to speak up. I've always been of the opinion that minimum post length restrictions were rather silly though, since they don't take into account specific situations that would require short posts, like dialogue or multi-character fight scenes. It's practically asking people to write pretentiously. Plus, we apparently have multiple new RPers jumping in here, so it would just be cruel to hold them up to overly high standards. We just want this to be fun. As long as people aren't writing one liners and understand basic grammar, I'm happy.

Edit: Also, ERPing is Erotic Role Playing. We're not doing that.

LVUER
King of Lolies

#7 Post by LVUER »

I don't really like RP-ing for slice of life drama, since it's already happening in my real life (then what's the need of role playing it ^_^ ). Unless we add a little bit supernatural spice into it.

DeviantArt Account

Lunethex
Regular

#8 Post by Lunethex »

Go play Neverwinter Nights Multi-player if you want to Role Play.

mysterialize
Veteran

#9 Post by mysterialize »

LVUER wrote:I don't really like RP-ing for slice of life drama, since it's already happening in my real life (then what's the need of role playing it ^_^ ). Unless we add a little bit supernatural spice into it.
Exactly. Usually it's just done for wish fulfillment or romance, as far as I've seen. Sometimes it's done for drama, but just about everything dramatic has been done to death anyways.

Realistic settings can be fine, but they're usually the most fun when they're about things that most people wouldn't experience in their own lives. Like Crime Dramas, and historic settings.

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#10 Post by IonicMomo »

I like the cyberpunk idea, myself. Or sci-fi. Or modern fantasy. Or steampunk. Or supernatural.
Hell, I'd be okay with anything. But my vote's for cyberpunk. :D
I agree, "slice of life" sounds too much like writing about myself/people like me.
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

luminarious
Veteran
Projects: Winter, winter

#11 Post by luminarious »

I'm interested! I've never done it before, but I'd like to try. Nothing too math heavy, if possible (no D&D then, maybe Risus? That allows some real creative freedom.. :D) Or were you thinking about doing it freeform?

Also, I've heard Google Wave being really well suited for it, since it's both persistent, has branching threads and works realtime.

Samu-kun
King of Moé
Organization: Love in Space Inc

#12 Post by Samu-kun »

Eheh. I used to RP back in the days. I dunno if I'll ever pick it up again, but if the RP that you come up with sounds interesting, I'll give it a try again.

I'm not really interested in fandom RPs, even though I used to be once upon a time. I'd be pretty interested in an story set in space though. Steampunk would be interesting too.

If the idea really gets off, maybe the board administration will add an RP subforum under general discussion and we could get multiple RPs going.

As far as rules go, I just want to make it clear to all the people who are new that in RPs that you are not allowed to control the flow of time. No "the next day, this happened..." or "jump ahead two weeks..." or "15 years later..." I think that's just the only mistake I see people who have never RPed before making.

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#13 Post by Counter Arts »

It would be cool to make the RPing into a VN or at least into a Kinetic Novel. We are on a VN board after all. Maybe we can role-play in ren'py code... maybe. I remember someone else once putting a fan-roleplay into a VN format and it looked pretty decent.

I used to do free form RPing. I just remember it takes FOREVER to get past a week of game-time. I've done slice of life and adventure-ish stuff before.

I'm interested in anything that combines slice-of-life with something else... except vampires, werewolves etc...
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca

CaesMRaenes
Regular
Projects: 軽い夏, The Aces

#14 Post by CaesMRaenes »

I'm up and interested since I've been trying to look for a literate RP that wasn't so strict.

The kinds of RP that I've dealt with were about magical schools, assassins, medieval wars, underground wars, end of the world, and adventure/discovery. The last one I've been through was a medieval-esque war that could not have been avoided since the gods deemed it so but I never was able to get back to it since I had college. We usually talk about anime on that forum so you can only guess. Plus, they were strict on time.

I'm interested in pretty much anything except for school. The magical schools I've played through were alright but no one knew how to RP a class properly, not even I.
a.k.a. DragonfaeryYume on dA
The Vault in the Sky (Dev Blog)

Projects:
WIP The Aces
WIP (Head Artist) 軽い夏: The Sun Will Shine Through (tentative title)

Counter Arts
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Fading Hearts, Infinite Game Works
Projects: Don't Save the World
Organization: Sakura River

#15 Post by Counter Arts »

CaesMRaenes wrote:I'm interested in pretty much anything except for school. The magical schools I've played through were alright but no one knew how to RP a class properly, not even I.
Why not just skip class RP unless there is some interesting plot point about it? Like a big announcement or a new transfer student.
Fading Hearts is RELEASED
http://www.sakurariver.ca