Is it possible to have a movie clip as the main menu?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
deltazechs

Is it possible to have a movie clip as the main menu?

#1 Post by deltazechs »

I was wondering if it's possible to use a movie clip as the background of the main menu rather than using an image as the background.

Thanks in advance
"Darker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself. That is coffee." --- Godot, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

Re: Is it possible to have a movie clip as the main menu?

#2 Post by rioka »

I've never seen it happen though it would be rather cool to have it - or at least some type of animation ability.

deltazechs

#3 Post by deltazechs »

I would think that if movies can be declared as a displayable, then there must be a way to display it as main menu background...
"Darker than a moonless night, hotter and more bitter than hell itself. That is coffee." --- Godot, Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney: Trials and Tribulations

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#4 Post by number473 »

It is possible to set an arbitrary displayable as the main menu background, well, I don't know if this includes a movie. You just set mm_back (if I've remembered the name right) which would normally be your background image in the options file, to the didplayable you want. I've done it using an animation declared using an image statement and ATL block, and it works exactly as expected.
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#5 Post by rioka »

number473 wrote:I've done it using an animation declared using an image statement and ATL block, and it works exactly as expected.
Cool. Was the animation a gif file or was it a set of images (kind of like how you animate eyes in an in-game character)?

number473
Regular
Projects: The Duke's Daughter

#6 Post by number473 »

It was a set of images. I'll make some notes here, the image declaration should happen before the init block with the options, so I put it into an init block with priority -2. Also, I don't think you can use transitions in it -- I think it caused an error when I tried. Most transitions can be written as ATL transforms, though, so it's not too much trouble.
Mental weather report: Cloudy with a possibility of brain storms.