in need of answer! >_<

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
yukiotome
Projects: St.Rahasya Academy's Student Council's Secret

in need of answer! >_<

#1 Post by yukiotome »

I'm currently going to start making the CGs for the otome game I'm making but but but! I dunno which scene should i put a CG.......
well, if i'm going to draw a CG about an accidental kiss, should it be before(like TMGS) or after the lips landed on the other party's lips????
I'd be most thankful if you could tell me why since i'm being torn between these two... i wanna draw both but i was adviced to choose only one..... and after thinking thoroughly, i figured that it is too trouble some to draw the two scenes..... @~@
mada mada dazzo~ reborn!

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

Re: in need of answer! >_<

#2 Post by LVUER »

Ummm... how about right WHEN they are kissing (when the lips meet)?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Scout
Veteran
Projects: A Princess of Venus

#3 Post by Scout »

Your CGs should show the most dramatic moment possible unless you're deliberately trying to be anticlimactic. That's probably the kiss itself.

chensterrain
Veteran
Completed: Lucky Rabbit Reflex!, Dusk ~A Moonlight Romance~
Projects: Edge of Elsewhere
Organization: Super63
Tumblr: supersixthree
Deviantart: chensterrain

#4 Post by chensterrain »

I think it pretty much just depends on whether you're showing the heroine in the CGs or not - TMGS doesn't show the actual kisses, but then they don't show the main character in CGs at all; if you've shown the heroine's face in other scenes, you might as well show the actual kisses. But either way works, really!

chronoluminaire
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Elven Relations, Cloud Fairy, When I Rule The World
Tumblr: alextfish

#5 Post by chronoluminaire »

If it's an accidental kiss, then probably better when the characters' lips are touching. Be sure that you can see the look of surprise on their faces :)
If it were a deliberate kiss, with a gradual buildup for several lines earlier, then you could argue the case either way round; I'd say it doesn't really matter.
I released 3 VNs, many moons ago: Elven Relations (IntRenAiMo 2007), When I Rule The World (NaNoRenO 2005), and Cloud Fairy (the Cute Light & Fluffy Project, 2009).
More recently I designed the board game Steam Works (published in 2015), available from a local gaming store near you!

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#6 Post by Deji »

In an accidental kiss, the lips touch for a brief moment before you go "!!!" and separate. It's not a long moment, but something that happens very fast (unless both like the kiss and prolong it for some reason). So I'd avoid drawing a Full CG for it, but maybe a cut-in/panel that flashes really fast and then then the moment they separate and stare at each other in embarrassment?

In the sequential arts field (like comic and manga), usually (not a strict norm, but it's the usual) the size of the panel/drawing is proportional to the time elapsed in the story itself. A big panel, a full-page panel or a double-spread panel is meant to be stared at for a longer time than a regular small panel. Event CGs are pretty much the same for me than those big full-page panels; elements that take up the whole screen and stay there for a while to be stared at. Unless, of course, they are flashed very fast for the player to see them briefly for a reason =P
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Jake
Support Hero

#7 Post by Jake »

Deji wrote: In the sequential arts field (like comic and manga), usually (not a strict norm, but it's the usual) the size of the panel/drawing is proportional to the time elapsed in the story itself.
Time is often represented by larger panels, but it's worth noting that larger panels are also sometimes used for events of great significance, regardless of how long they take. Think of the type of panel in an action comic/manga where the hero's sidekick gets shot and he's suspended in half-fall, slightly surprised expression on his face with the exit wound still opening; that kind of thing often gets a big panel because it's got a lot of impact, not because it takes longer than the fraction of a second that an accidental kiss might take. It's the kind of shot that might be shown in slow-motion in an action movie.

While it's true that generally, panel size implies time, it seems to me that event CGs in VNs are most similar to two-page spreads in comics/manga - and it seems to me that those get used for split-second events of great impact about as often as they get used for big long-time-elapsed scene-setting images.
Server error: user 'Jake' not found

Deji

#8 Post by Deji »

Jake wrote: Time is often represented by larger panels, but it's worth noting that larger panels are also sometimes used for events of great significance, regardless of how long they take. Think of the type of panel in an action comic/manga where the hero's sidekick gets shot and he's suspended in half-fall, slightly surprised expression on his face with the exit wound still opening; that kind of thing often gets a big panel because it's got a lot of impact, not because it takes longer than the fraction of a second that an accidental kiss might take. It's the kind of shot that might be shown in slow-motion in an action movie.

While it's true that generally, panel size implies time, it seems to me that event CGs in VNs are most similar to two-page spreads in comics/manga - and it seems to me that those get used for split-second events of great impact about as often as they get used for big long-time-elapsed scene-setting images.
*nods*
As I said, larger panels are supposed to be stared at for longer time, so, as you said, they're also used for impact moments, like the slow-motion worthy moments you mention.

For me, an accidental kiss would be not worth of that. I would probably give that privilege to a sudden and short intentional kiss, though. Accidental ones... mmmm no. But that's only what *I* would do =P
Tumblr | Twitter

yukiotome

#9 Post by yukiotome »

Deji wrote: For me, an accidental kiss would be not worth of that. I would probably give that privilege to a sudden and short intentional kiss, though. Accidental ones... mmmm no. But that's only what *I* would do =P
umm.... so it means draw the kissing scene but show it for a very very as in just have a glimpse? Then what if they are too shocked to move? do i stil need to make for just a short time???

and, one other thing. Its fine to show the kiss if it is intentional for a long time? i.e. "Sara who is currently drunk pulled John's necktie and kisses him." sort of thing can be shown for at least longer time??? rather, should really be seen not just for awhile....
mada mada dazzo~ reborn!

Deji

#10 Post by Deji »

yukiotome wrote: umm.... so it means draw the kissing scene but show it for a very very as in just have a glimpse? Then what if they are too shocked to move? do i stil need to make for just a short time???

and, one other thing. Its fine to show the kiss if it is intentional for a long time? i.e. "Sara who is currently drunk pulled John's necktie and kisses him." sort of thing can be shown for at least longer time??? rather, should really be seen not just for awhile....
Well, you should consider what you like yourself. We're just giving opinions here ^^

My own accidental kisses have been very very quick xD No *too shocked to move* thing, haha. That's why *I* would probably flash the kiss moment and then show both looking at each other surprised and embarrassed, like thinking "omg what the hell just happened?....! *blushblush* omg we kissed!!". But, again, that'd be *my* approach.

It's not *wrong* to show a kiss for a long time if you like it that way, intentional, accidental or whatever =3

Maybe you could write a quick draft of the scene, doodle the kiss event CG very basically (as in stick figures or circles with eyes) and put it all together in Ren'Py to see how it works? ^^
Tumblr | Twitter

yukiotome

#11 Post by yukiotome »

Deji wrote: Well, you should consider what you like yourself. We're just giving opinions here ^^

My own accidental kisses have been very very quick xD No *too shocked to move* thing, haha. That's why *I* would probably flash the kiss moment and then show both looking at each other surprised and embarrassed, like thinking "omg what the hell just happened?....! *blushblush* omg we kissed!!". But, again, that'd be *my* approach.

It's not *wrong* to show a kiss for a long time if you like it that way, intentional, accidental or whatever =3

Maybe you could write a quick draft of the scene, doodle the kiss event CG very basically (as in stick figures or circles with eyes) and put it all together in Ren'Py to see how it works? ^^
。。。。okay, will do as you tell.... but that would probably have to be discussed with the artist since i just closed a deal just now. will keep it in mind as i process the game. tnx for answering! ^^
mada mada dazzo~ reborn!

IxIoN
Regular
Projects: Thinking

#12 Post by IxIoN »

Hmm, really, make it with your own style. For example, I always try to make things different and shocking. Maybe, reading the sinopsis of your game, yours is more like a comedy one.

If it is a funny scene then make funny faces, they will make the player feel like "Ahaha, WTF." Really, I mean it. Good luch with you project and you found a quite good shoujo artist too :D
This is my World.
Look forward to my game.
Thinking