RockRobin - Band Manager (Demo)

Ideas and games that are not yet publicly in production. This forum also contains the pre-2012 archives of the Works in Progress forum.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

RockRobin - Band Manager (Demo)

#1 Post by Aleema »

"RockRobin"
Type of Game: Management Sim (GxB)
The game has it's own forum, so if you have something specific to talk about, post here!

The story is about a not-so-sweet rocker girl, named Robin, who is kicked out of the band she helped start at the beginning of the game. Bitter, she vows to make her own band and surpass them. Things get more complicated when she's forced to travel to her past life to do it.

Game Features:
  • 3+ GxB Romances
  • Original Character Art
  • Customize Your Band
  • Unlockable Open-Play Mode
  • 800x600 Resolution
  • Ren'Py Engine
Set up that you create your own band by choosing your genre, name, and logo. You give your band members tasks to practice in the week, raising 3 stats and generating stress: Music, Writing, and Star Quality. You play gigs to earn Popularity (quality is based off the stats that you raised and a short mini-game), which is the goal of the game: to get really popular.

The game is split into two modes: Story Mode and Open-Ended Mode. During Story Mode, you will have 3 non-adjustable band members. After the story ends, you can form any kind of band you want and recruit who you wish. This limitation is to ensure a high-quality experience rather than spreading the characterization too thin over many characters. The number of recruitable characters and achievable romances is undetermined at the moment, but all 3 starter band members should have the romance option.

Credits:
CHARACTER ARTIST: Lorey
MAIN WRITER: Aleema
CREATIVE CONTRIBUTIONS: IonicMomo, unknown5, Serenity Frost, Chansel, sake-bento, VenusRose, Lace, Starling, ichig0jellie, mikisweety, L.D. Cooke
EDITORS: mikisweety, unknown5, Chansel
EVENT ARTIST: LinWest
PROMO CG ARTIST: mangakaluna
CHIBI ARTIST & COLORIST: Starling, Chansel

Special thanks to everyone who've give me their honest feedback and support! <3

---
Demo Download

Demo Notes:
- Relationship meters in Band Meeting have yet to be coded.
- Avoid viewing your Monthly Report screen in June! Could break your game, I apologize.
- Recording songs does nothing for your band at this point in the game, but I included it because that's when the action would be available in the full game.
- Demo is PG-13, meaning you should be mature enough to handle cursing and such. Adult themes.
- Song in the background for the opening scene is "Mr. Big Shot" by Sophia Marie.
- Typos and bug reporting would be awesome!

---
Game will be non-commercial, meaning it's FREE.

For a full list of donators, go here.
Thanks to the numerous amount of you, it's now too long to post here! :D

Donators will get special gifts when they're made, and allowed to play the game before official release.

---
This game is not a Guitar Hero clone, nor has anything to do with the game Rock Band. In this game, you manage your band members weekly tasks and play a few music-related mini-games that determine quality of playing gigs, recording songs, etc. If you want a great music rhythm game, I suggest playing Guitar Hero, Frequency, or Elite Beat Agents. Great games. This is a character-centered story that allows multiple GxB romance paths and an overlaying story to tie it all together. It is up to you to raise your small band to stardom!
Last edited by Aleema on Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:46 pm, edited 109 times in total.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

Re: Rock Band Simulator - Needs Writer!

#2 Post by Deji »

That looks super cool *_* I'm totally playing it once you finish it!

If I wasn't so busy with projects right now, I'd offer to help with art X_X;

Good luck! I hope you find a good writer soon! =3
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#3 Post by LVUER »

Reminds me to Rocking Pretty ^_^ Hehehe
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

IonicMomo
Regular
Completed: Mail Order Bride
Projects: Untitled GxB game

#4 Post by IonicMomo »

So. Frickin'. Cool. :D
I'd like to help with the writing/characterization for a GxB game.
I will send you a PM.

Edit: I probably don't have enough experience to be a satisfactory writer on my own, but I would love to collaborate with anyone else you find.
Last edited by IonicMomo on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current Project: Untitled GxB Game, Untitled NaNoRenO 2011
Completed Projects: Mail Order Bride

Alphonse
Regular

#5 Post by Alphonse »

;_; I want to play this game. Badly. I wish you good luck in your quest to find a writer and such. I like the plot--premise--whatever as it is. I wish I could help or something but I can't draw or write or anything... Like I said, though, good luck!

Oh, looks like you found a potential writer in the time I took to type that. Well, then. Good luck in making this game, I guess!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Aleema »

Thanks for the support, you guys! I didn't know if it would be as fun to play as it was to make it. :3
With your help, the game has real potential to be something big. Thank you very much!

And no more bashing your writing skill, guys! I'm sure you're all wonderful writers. :)

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

Re: Rock Band Manager - Needs Writer!

#7 Post by Midnighticequeen »

You are amazing! I can't wait to play this game! :D

dstarsboy
Veteran

#8 Post by dstarsboy »

Wow, this looks like an amazing game. The plot sounds a bit like School of Rock, but better! Are you still recruiting and if so for what positions?
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by Aleema »

dstarsboy wrote:Wow, this looks like an amazing game. The plot sounds a bit like School of Rock, but better! Are you still recruiting and if so for what positions?
:lol: I have to admit, I have been getting some "School of Rock" flashbacks while brainstorming. Hopefully, the end product will be something just as engaging and original. With the help I'm getting so far, I have no doubt that we'll come up with something really entertaining.

I'll need all the help I can get with refining the plot and the characters ... I'm also looking for help developing the mini-games (I haven't even started on those, lol). So any tips or suggestions would mean the world. >_>

alberte
Veteran
Tumblr: klaruga
Deviantart: Klaruga

#10 Post by alberte »

i'm definately keeping my tabs on this, if i can think of an idea i'll send it to you.
:)

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#11 Post by PrettySammy09 »

That looks kinda AWESOME. I wish I could help write for it, but I am SO busy right now I just wouldn't have the time.

But good luck! It looks amaaaazing.

dstarsboy
Veteran

#12 Post by dstarsboy »

Well, with "band" games you typically do stuff in sync to music, it may be "weird" to make a mini game for this one where music isn't involved.

The best thing I can think of, that would work for this game and is not rhythm based, is simply something that you do to keep the crowd in it. For example, you have a series of crowd pumping "powers" like "break a guitar over a drump" or "yell out the home city name" or "pee on the crowd" (lol, just kidding about that last one, Blind Melon). Each power pumps the crowd up a different amount. You start up with only a few (because you're playing at smaller venues) and you unlock more to use as you get to bigger venues.

The music simply plays and you can have crowd cheering sounds lull by random amounts at different points in the song. During these lulls, you have to use a power to pump the crowd back up. The goal is to end the song with the crowd pumped pretty high. You can't really just "save them for the end" because the crowd will get to a point and start booing, then you're kicked off the stage, a la rock band.

Also, you should change the title of this thread to Rock Robin. I honestly thought this was a software manager for my Rock Band (xbox 360, ps3, wii) scores or songs or something before I clicked on it.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by Aleema »

dstarsboy wrote:Well, with "band" games you typically do stuff in sync to music, it may be "weird" to make a mini game for this one where music isn't involved.

The best thing I can think of, that would work for this game and is not rhythm based, is simply something that you do to keep the crowd in it. For example, you have a series of crowd pumping "powers" like "break a guitar over a drump" or "yell out the home city name" or "pee on the crowd" (lol, just kidding about that last one, Blind Melon). Each power pumps the crowd up a different amount. You start up with only a few (because you're playing at smaller venues) and you unlock more to use as you get to bigger venues.

The music simply plays and you can have crowd cheering sounds lull by random amounts at different points in the song. During these lulls, you have to use a power to pump the crowd back up. The goal is to end the song with the crowd pumped pretty high. You can't really just "save them for the end" because the crowd will get to a point and start booing, then you're kicked off the stage, a la rock band.

Also, you should change the title of this thread to Rock Robin. I honestly thought this was a software manager for my Rock Band (xbox 360, ps3, wii) scores or songs or something before I clicked on it.
Actually ... that's a GREAT idea!! I've been killing myself trying to make a rhythm/Guitar Hero clone (with a crash course in pygame >_>), but I love your idea! It's something simple with the possibility of being fun (and I have a chance of actually coding it), and yet still music related. I plan on there being probably 3 mini-games, or different versions of the same one. One for when you play gigs, one for when you shoot a music video, and one for ... haven't decided. Maybe when you record your songs in the studio.

This would also solve the problem of the "music" stat for each member becoming useless if there was a mini-game that decided how good your gig went. And maybe when the band members' music skill "levels up", they get a new power move to use -- Good job, dstarsboy, good job. :D I'll work on this today and see how it goes.

Also: Thanks for the tip on the thread title. I hate how simple the "Rock Band" name is -- I mean they KNEW it was going to be popular, why not just have a little creativity? >_> Anyway, a band manager is what my game's genre technically is (and I'm not 100% on the game's name yet), and I guess I threw "rock" in there to not confuse it with ... marching bands, or something. Haha. :D

Zumi
Regular

Re: Rock Robin (Band Manager) - Needs Writer!

#14 Post by Zumi »

This looks so awesome. >A< I will DEFINITELY play it when it's ready and released.

I hope you find a writer soon!

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Rock Robin (Band Manager) - Needs Writer!

#15 Post by Aleema »

The game has a character artist!! Yaaaay!

Her name is Lorey, and she's already started the preliminary sketches. I'm also moving towards photograph backgrounds, so the game can have more freedom in where it can go (rather than just limited to what's in the stock). So the game will look more custom than expected. :D