Alpha channel and transparency of character graphics

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: GO! Magical Boy (2006), Angelic Orbs (soundtrack)
Projects: Cyberlin (in progress)

Alpha channel and transparency of character graphics

#1 Post by Alessio »

I've gotten to the stage of dealing with the graphics now... and up comes the question: How are those of you involved with graphics handling the transparent parts of a character?

Do you just have transparency outside the hard edges of the drawing (resulting in a pixellated outline), or are you using gradual transparency along the drawing's outer line to get a smoother anti-aliasing effect?

The simple (pixellated) transparency I manage, but how do you achie the more continuous one? Which programs (GIMP?) and how much work is it? I've searched for tutorials about this, but only found the general theory. Basically I'd have to mix the character's black outline with an alpha-channel color (more alpha towards the outside)?

Thanks for your suggestions!

Icekiss
Regular

#2 Post by Icekiss »

Gimp should give you this gradual transparency automatically, whenever you draw a line, or apply some other tool. It would actually be much harder to get it do hard transparency.

But I am no artist, and don't know which process you use...
If you are a debian linux user, take a look at my program: http://deb-install.sourceforge.net/

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Alessio »

I'm drawing on paper (b/w), then scanning and coloring. Earlier I'd used Pixia since I like its user interface, but it doesn't offer alpha channels.

The black lines are scanned and thus not drawn with GIMP, so I'd probably have to redraw them? Or can you actually select the area around the character and start from there?

Iaman
Regular

#4 Post by Iaman »

I'm not too sure about GIMP, because I've never used it, but if it has similar features to photoshop, you can do this.

Invert Colors

Layer Styles ----> Outer Glow(White)

Invert Colors

That should give you a nice black gradual fade. I only do it that way because I have Photoshop Elements 2, where you can't set the outer glow color(it's only white). But if you do it that way, it should work. Otherwise, if you can set the outer glow color, just use Outer Glow with black.

Of course, this is assuming that GIMP has an outer glow effect...
I have no pants!

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Alessio »

Thanks, I'll have to try that. However, I'd have to apply the gradual fade to the outline only, not to the whole background - otherwise the character would always carry around a kind of shade.

I guess I'll just have to sit down and experiment a bit. ^_^

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Alessio »

There seems to be a "Color to Alpha" functionality in GIMP to replace a real color with Alpha information. That sounds very much like what I'd need. Now if I could just find those five minutes to actually do it... ;_;

And also found a tutorial now that I know the name of the function:
http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/Changing_ ... d_Color_1/

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#7 Post by Watercolorheart »

What I use ... Flash to make a high-quality PNG with 24bit & alpha channel ... actually will convert into GIFs with partial transparency at the edges. Looks pretty neat.

Any vector utility should be able to give you clean, desirable lines as well. I suggest SWISH.

Alessio
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Alessio »

By now I can confirm GIMP is a breeze to use for this kind of stuff. Transparency works great, and coloring the scanned art is really easy too. Just took a while to work it out. ^_^